Embarkation in Dubai

alpencoolcruiser

We are going on board our cruise from Dubai on the Costa Toscana. There were so many questions I had and spent much time looking for the answers. Thought I would share what I found out and save your time if you are doing this route as well.  I truly found the free sim card from the passport control very useful. It helped get us out of a jam on our last stopover in Dubai to call for a taxi. I have some tips on visiting the Burj Khalifa as well. Will be posting more after we come back from our 8-day cruise.  

• Like 1

On 2/20/2023 at 8:45 AM, TrustyJ said:

Looking forward to your Burj Khalifa and other tips on your return. So much to do in Dubai.  If I recall, the complimentary sim card from airport gives you data for 24 hours from activation. 

That's right - 24 hours and useful to have . this time they included the sim ejector pin too - which is of course perfect  . I now have a guide on navigating the Dubai airport - terminal 3 blog up . 

https://zeweekendtraveller.com/index.php/travel-tips/dubai-international-airport-dxb/

I did Toscana from Barcelona to Dubai in November, will be doing the return in a couple of weeks. I know there is a free shuttle bus in Abu Dhabi, from the port to the main shopping mall. The Toscana will be in Dubai port for 3 nights when i board, do you know if there is a free shuttle bus in Dubai port?  

1 hour ago, gerryuk said:

I did Toscana from Barcelona to Dubai in November, will be doing the return in a couple of weeks. I know there is a free shuttle bus in Abu Dhabi, from the port to the main shopping mall. The Toscana will be in Dubai port for 3 nights when i board, do you know if there is a free shuttle bus in Dubai port?  

No there is not - and we had real struggles with it. Taxis in general were a lot but they did not want to bring us to the nearby metro and they weren't happy to have the meter on either. I would download the careem app if i were you to order taxis

• 4 months later...
On 3/6/2023 at 7:04 PM, alpencoolcruiser said:

No there is not - and we had real struggles with it. Taxis in general were a lot but they did not want to bring us to the nearby metro and they weren't happy to have the meter on either. I would download the careem app if i were you to order taxis

We had issues with some taxi drivers in Abu Dhabi. There should be a sticker on the windows which tells you they have to use their meters by law....if they don't, you don't have to pay! This happened the first time we visited and when I pointed this out to the driver he then showed us that he did have the meter on....total cost 42AED, not the 100 he wanted to charge us.

3 hours ago, 726rosie said:

We had issues with some taxi drivers in Abu Dhabi. There should be a sticker on the windows which tells you they have to use their meters by law....if they don't, you don't have to pay! This happened the first time we visited and when I pointed this out to the driver he then showed us that he did have the meter on....total cost 42AED, not the 100 he wanted to charge us.

Yes - wish the government of UAE would do something about that: it spoils the tourist experience when the taxis try to scam.