Best insurance for future unknown travel restrictions?

Nightowl11

Which insurance or type of policy is needed for an unknown future event of a travel restriction for covid or another pandemic?  Most countries have lifted their requirements for being completely vaccinated and/or testing 48-72 hours pre-cruise or pre-travel.  Being that there are warnings now for future pandemics, what happens if you can't travel because a country adds back their restrictions and you can not comply, therefore are unable to travel on that trip?  Most CFAR policies require that you cancel at least 48-72 hours before the cruise/travel.  What happens if the restriction is immediately placed only 24 hours or day of?  What policy covers that?

I recommend you visit www.tripinsurancestore.com and then follow up with a phone call to them as they will help you decide what you really need in terms of coverage AND more importantly, if what you desire is available...

In health and bon voyage

• Like 1

On 2/16/2023 at 8:41 PM, Nightowl11 said:

Which insurance or type of policy is needed for an unknown future event of a travel restriction for covid or another pandemic?  Most countries have lifted their requirements for being completely vaccinated and/or testing 48-72 hours pre-cruise or pre-travel.  Being that there are warnings now for future pandemics, what happens if you can't travel because a country adds back their restrictions and you can not comply, therefore are unable to travel on that trip?  Most CFAR policies require that you cancel at least 48-72 hours before the cruise/travel.  What happens if the restriction is immediately placed only 24 hours or day of?  What policy covers that?

Did you ever reach a conclusion about this? We are looking into travel insurance now for our May Alaska cruise and that's a concern as to whether Canada will re-impose their COVID restrictions.

On 2/21/2023 at 5:53 PM, SuzieQ521 said:

Did you ever reach a conclusion about this? We are looking into travel insurance now for our May Alaska cruise and that's a concern as to whether Canada will re-impose their COVID restrictions.

No.  But I did buy Cancel for any Reason insurance just in case.  I did not buy the Princess cruise line insurance because when I talked to a representative she said:   if 1 person cancels in the cabin and if the other person still wants to travel, the person who cancels gets their money back or future cruise credit but the person who still wants to cruise has to pay extra since the cabins are based on double occupancy.  So you either both go or no one goes in order to make it cost effective.  Outside insurance companies guarantee single occupants don't pay extra.  And although Cancel for any Reason only pays back 75% of the fare, it was overall a better deal.  Or at least that is how I understand it. 

• 2 weeks later...