Live Report Arvia 14 Nights From Barbados 18th Feb onwards

Interestedcruisefan

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Thanks for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic!"

Interestedcruisefan was awarded the badge '"Live from...."'

Thought I would do a live report. Will try and post once a day at least.

We fly from Birmingham tomorrow morning to Bridgetown. Our first sun holiday since Covid.  We've worked hard the last few months and are both really looking forward to the break.

It's our first overseas cruise without the kids (they are grown up now). We are mid 50s.

We've cruised the Caribbean on various cruiselines at Xmas/New Year (school hols) a few times before but this will be the first time as a couple. We are mid 50s now. Will be a totally different experience without them.

I've pre-booked Epicurean for our second night and a few of the shows.. Don't fancy the Limelight Club this time. But might change our minds once we are on board. Subject to availability.

We are going to do some DIY excursions at most of the ports. We book these external to P and O. I enjoy the research and doing it myself.

We've pre-booked the Wi-Fi. Inside room. We normally get up early and get out and about on the ship early. Don't hold me to that though!!!

First stop is Tortola after a sea day. Planning a taxi to Cane Garden Bay Beach (think that's what it's called) and fitting in a hike from there to a summit nearby! (Think we also need a taxi transfer to the start of the hike from the beach)

Need to burn some calories each day for all the food and cocktails we are planning to enjoy!!

We are hoping to fit 4 weeks of activity and fun and cocktails into a 2 week holiday! 

You only live once!!

Lol

Edited by Interestedcruisefan
  • Like 21

16 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Thought I would do a live report. Will try and post once a day at least.

We fly from Birmingham tomorrow morning to Bridgetown. Our first sun holiday since Covid.  We've worked hard the last few months and are both really looking forward to the break.

It's our first overseas cruise without the kids (they are grown up now). We are mid 50s.

We've cruised the Caribbean on various cruiselines at Xmas/New Year (school hols) a few times before but this will be the first time as a couple. We are mid 50s now. Will be a totally different experience without them.

I've pre-booked Epicurean for our second night and a few of the shows.. Don't fancy the Limelight Club this time. But might change our minds once we are on board. Subject to availability.

We are going to do some DIY excursions at most of the ports. We book these external to P and O. I enjoy the research and doing it myself.

We've pre-booked the Wi-Fi. Inside room. We normally get up early and get out and about on the ship early. Don't hold me to that though!!!

First stop is Tortola after a sea day. Planning a taxi to Cane Garden Bay Beach (think that's what it's called) and fitting in a hike from there to a summit nearby! (Think we also need a taxi transfer to the start of the hike from the beach)

Need to burn some calories each day for all the food and cocktails we are planning to enjoy!!

We are hoping to fit 4 weeks of activity and fun and cocktails into a 2 week holiday! 

You only live once!!

Lol

I will be following along.

Best wishes for a fantastic cruise.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, jh1809 said:

I hope you have a great time.

Thanks - we will be trying our best!!

First challenge is to get there safely!! Then we've got a good chance!

I'm going to book some more excursions tonight. (After I've filled out the Barbados immigration forms)

• Like 1

We're flying out from Heathrow tomorrow morning 9am for the same cruise. Epicurean, Sindhu, limelight and a few excursions booked. First cruise for me so very excited, but feeling travel nerves at the mo 😵💫 

Getting the 2:15 am coach so it will a be long day tomorrow.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Should have said. All being well a taxi is picking us up at 6am tomorrow morning to take us to Birmingham airport.  45 mins away.

We fly at 10am ish

Hi interestedcruisefan, we will be flying out to Arvia on the day you

return, also from Birmingham, so look forward to your reports and thoughts on the journey and the cruise. We are also about 40 mins from the airport so will be interested in any tips at the airport, I think the plane is supposed to leave at 10.15. Hope you really enjoy your cruise.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, silkworms said:

return, also from Birmingham, so look forward to your reports and thoughts on the journey and the cruise. We are also about 40 mins from the airport so will be interested in any tips at the airport, I think the plane is supposed to leave at 10.15. Hope you really enjoy your cruise.

Will make sure we leave everything clean and tidy for when you embark!!

Lol

45 minutes ago, silkworms said:

We want to be one of the first ones to check in for our flight. I forgot to pre-book seats and it's too late now.

Need to be next to each other as I'm taking my lap top on the plane and my wife has our bank statements.

Going to do our vat return together!!

That should pass 4 hrs of the flight!

Don't worry guys. Hopefully the rest of the holiday won't be that boring!!!

I'll be following along too! First time cruising for us. Am doing the same cruise as you but flying on 4

March, from Birmingham also, so our flight will be coming to take you home! I'll be particularly interested in your port days too as we plan on doing it ourselves. Thank you for taking the time to do

this and have a brilliant time.

• Thanks 1

So far so good

Our flight is from Birmingham at 10.15am

We arrived at the airport 7am. The screen said check in for the flight opens at 7.15am but the check in was already open. 

There were about 100 people ahead of us. There was also a queue for those who had booked premium seats.

It took 40 mins to check bags in. It was zone B today. I assume it's always zone B. Whilst in the queue they have staff attaching hand luggage labels. Also checking if your large bags have luggage labels on. We had printed ours and were attached. At least half the queue hadnt and were given labels to hand write and attach.  I feel safer having the proper barcoded ones myself (touch wood)

Straight to security. No queues at all until right before you have to go through the checks. Took us 20 mins in total to gets through security. Fast track might have saved us 5 mins maybe. So not worth it today. I checked with the lady. Had there been large queues at security you can pay for fast track online in the terminal providing its not sold out already. Worth knowing for them future.

Bought a couple of books. My wife bought some Clarins. Think we've spent £60 so far.

We are sat in Giraffe restaurant. For breakfast. My wife's got a glass of sparkling rose. 9.75

I've ordered pancakes 10.75 and she's gone for smashed avocado.

We chose this restaurant because it's not as chaotic looking as they two we passed which are rammed - the Factory and Wetherspoons.

Nice and calm in here. They promise meals served within 10 mins of order. 

• Like 7

13 hours ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Limelight Club has Kevin Simm (lead singer Liberty X, winner of the Voice 2016) current lead singer Wet Wet Wet

And/or

Mary Mac. (Tartan wrapped Scottish songstress)

Anybody seen either of them?

I’ve not seen either of them but my sister says Kevin Simm has a fantastic voice.

Enjoy your cruise, I’m looking forward to reading all about it

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, TigerB said:

Nice!👍

Hope you enjoyed your pancakes because the ones on Arvia are rubbish, even in the 6th St Diner.

Did you get sat together? If so, have you got your calculator at the ready? 😉

If doing the vat return works ok today - we might have to book a long haul cruise every quarter!! Lol

We hate doing the vat return. Spoils a nice day at home. Doesn't seem so bad saving it for a long haul light 

Forgot to get some US Dollars. So just got 100 dollars to tide us over from a cashpoint in the airport with credit card (we don't have debit cards which are cheaper I think?)

Anyway 100 US dollars cost £108!!

So costly error not getting  in advance.

54 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

And they delivered within 10 mins. Good quality too. 

Top tip - if you get a booth table next to a wall they've got plug sockets to charge your phone.

Free WiFi in the airport as well

IMG_20230218_0846399.jpg

You seem to be enjoying every minute and you haven't even left the airport.. Good luck to you. I suspect you may have a pleasant time once on the ship and in the Caribbean.  December for us on Britannia.  Looking forward to your posts.🤣

• Like 2