Live Report Arvia 14 Nights From Barbados 18th Feb onwards

Interestedcruisefan

12 hours ago, Selbourne said:

I know that I am sad (before anyone says) but I find it interesting to sit on a balcony watching a busy commercial port in action. All part of the cruise experience for me! I can think of few things more boring or uncomfortable than sitting on a beach in blazing sunshine, but thankfully we are all different 😉 😂 

I love dockside at Barcelona, watching all the robots moving the containers. Not sad.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Fionboard said:

Bet they are pee'd off on Aurora! 

That is the best dock for the town and is where the main cruise terminal is. The container bit is just along the dock

• Like 2

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

What's the arrangement for mobile roaming passports in the Caribbean, for Europe we pay £2 per day and then can use our normal roaming, calls and messages as usual. With mainly port days in the Caribbean if the cost is similar it must surely be a cheaper way to stay in contact.

Are you with Sky? We are, and have the £2 per day roaming passport; in the Caribbean though it appears to be only available in European territories. On our recent trip we got it on St Maarten but not on any of the other islands we visited - St Vincent, St Lucia, and Barbados.

1 minute ago, TigerB said:

Are you with Sky? We are, and have the £2 per day roaming passport; in the Caribbean though it appears to be only available in European territories. On our recent trip we got it on St Maarten but not on any of the other islands we visited - St Vincent, St Lucia, and Barbados.

Yes I think EU affiliated countries were free previously, but I wonder if Sky offer something additional for other countries, I will have to enquire before our 2025 Caribbean cruise.

27 minutes ago, daiB said:

That is the best dock for the town and is where the main cruise terminal is. The container bit is just along the dock

Pointe Seraphine is the new terminal, with shops, bars and entertainment. The town is not the most attractive or interesting place IMO. Rum Therapy is such fun, most of the crew and passengers end up there and they usually have to send staff ashore to drag people out when the ship sails! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fionboard said:

Pointe Seraphine is the new terminal, with shops, bars and entertainment. The town is not the most attractive or interesting place IMO. Rum Therapy is such fun, most of the crew and passengers end up there and they usually have to send staff ashore to drag people out when the ship sails! 

That's exactly what appeared to happen yesterday. Passengers were getting loudly applauded and standing ovations from people on the ship as they eventually made it onboard last night 

Seemed to be a huge party there most of the afternoon

• Like 1

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

What's the arrangement for mobile roaming passports in the Caribbean, for Europe we pay £2 per day and then can use our normal roaming, calls and messages as usual. With mainly port days in the Caribbean if the cost is similar it must surely be a cheaper way to stay in contact.

I’m with 3 and the only destination where the £2 charge applies is Martinique. My husband is with Vodafone and it’s the same. Other Caribbean destinations are charged at £6 for 24 hours. It’s not essential for us so we’ll probably just do what the crew does and log on to free Wi-Fi in the ports. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Yes I think EU affiliated countries were free previously, but I wonder if Sky offer something additional for other countries, I will have to enquire before our 2025 Caribbean cruise.

Yes, it used to be free as you say. It annoys me that their carrier is O2, who still offer free EU roaming. The benefit though of the £2 passport charge is that it includes USA and Canada.

The current list:

Screenshot_2023-02-28-11-22-55-8872.thumb.jpeg.c608bec83d0ebcc997cf8bc27e339909.jpeg

1 hour ago, Fionboard said:

Bet they are pee'd off on Aurora! 

I saw a FB post yesterday from someone on Aurora, whose cruise was ruined because Aurora was not docked at Pointe Seraphine. It didn’t seem to cross his mind that Arvia wouldn’t have fitted in to the space next to the containers 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I saw a FB post yesterday from someone on Aurora, whose cruise was ruined because Aurora was not docked at Pointe Seraphine. It didn’t seem to cross his mind that Arvia wouldn’t have fitted in to the space next to the containers 

Our captain mentioned it was a 65 day cruise ish on Aurora

Would be a shame to let something like that ruin their cruise

But they should have perhaps laid on shuttles somehow (if possible) to allow passengers from Aurora to access the normal port area. (Maybe they  did)

Something went wrong with one of the Arvia shore excursions yesterday in Saint Lucia. No idea what or where. But about 4.30pm there was a big group of disgruntled excursion guests lining up at Guest services to complain at  the same time and all being directed to go to the shore excursion desk from 5pm

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

And no doubt his evening was ruined as he spent all his time composing his compo letter!

'Dear Mr P&O...'

• Like 4

Limelight was great last night. Really high quality meal. I would say approaching Epicurean quality.

I've created a thread about Mary Mac already. Superb entertainer.

Things to be aware of. They allocate tables according to first come first served.  With the best tables being given to the  first guests to arrive etc. The show started at 7pm we arrived 6.45pm and by then we were near the back once we entered. 5 to 10 minute queue to get in. But all very smooth and well organised. 

Similar to 710 club there are pillars that can obstruct the stage view in there. It's a wide stage though and Mary Mac used all of the stage!!!

So it didn't detract from her show.

I've done Limelight before on Britannia. This is a bigger club. On Britannia they simply had the act after the meal with nothing else. Which I questioned back then. It was one of the 3 night staycation cruises when we were all wearing masks still.

Last night they served amuse Bouche and starters then had an interlude of about 20 minutes where the Limelight Band played some songs alongside  a singer from the entertainment crew

They then served main and desserts without entertainment and then Mary Mac came on (backed by the band at 9pm)

She performed til 10pm. When most people left including us. The band was due back on at 10.30pm at which stage other passengers would also be allowed in

Worked very well. Very smooth. They all know what they are doing. The dinner is great and last night's act was superb as stated.

Very enjoyable night

Some photos to follow

Edited by Interestedcruisefan
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Our captain mentioned it was a 65 day cruise ish on Aurora

Would be a shame to let something like that ruin their cruise

But they should have perhaps laid on shuttles somehow (if possible) to allow passengers from Aurora to access the normal port area. (Maybe they  did)

They wouldn't have done that; they don't do so for passengers from Pointe Seraphine who wish to go into the town.

Anyway, they have port shops next to them at the other berth, and immediate access to the markets without having to walk right around the bay.  Swings and roundabouts!

• Like 2

Just now, Interestedcruisefan said:

Ive been warned by a cruise vlogger we've met on board that when we are  in St Kitts later this week there are 5 or 6 cruise ships all in port together.

That's going to be interesting

On the TA cruise in January, St Maarten was our first island and there were six ships in, with at least four of a similar capacity to Arvia. We thought it would be a nightmare getting service from anywhere, but it wasn't, despite there being about 25,000 passengers and crew that had descended on. In fact, it made for a good atmosphere, and all the shops and bars were well stocked, expecting no doubt to do good business.

Last time we were at St Kitts was five years ago, so I can't recall how it compares to St Maarten other than, to the best of my recollection, Basseterre being bigger than Philipsburg; it should cope.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I do sometimes wonder what is wrong with some people...

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, TigerB said:

They wouldn't have done that; they don't do so for passengers from Pointe Seraphine who wish to go into the town.

Anyway, they have port shops next to them at the other berth, and immediate access to the markets without having to walk right around the bay.  Swings and roundabouts!

Deleted

Edited by bee-ess

1 hour ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Amazing, such tantrums and dramatics,

A 65 night cruise "ruined" not even by a missed port but by a not having a choice berth. Would be interesting to hear their submission to a court to claim for a refund for a 65 night cruise that been "ruined" and probably left them traumatised and needing therapy.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

There is or at least was a small ferry between the 2 berths 10 mins to get from one to the other.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

That's exactly what appeared to happen yesterday. Passengers were getting loudly applauded and standing ovations from people on the ship as they eventually made it onboard last night 

Seemed to be a huge party there most of the afternoon

Always a party there. Very popular bar. 

9 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

4 weeks ago we were on Oasis of the seas in the Caribbean and for EE it is £10 for a month to use your UK phone allowances.

Check with your phone supplier for which countries not included.

Edited by grapau27