Viking Jupiter guaranteed cabin

KarKell

We have booked our 4th Viking cruise on the Jupiter for Scenic Scandinavia for June, 2023.  This is our  1st time choosing to book a DV6 or higher guaranteed cabin. I see that the cruise is sold out, yet we have not been assigned our cabin assignment. When chatting with Viking representative they said our room may not be assigned until we actually check in. My concern is that we will not be able to reserve excursions or dining ahead of time if we don’t know exactly what category room they have assigned us. 
Does anyone have experience with booking a “guaranteed cabin”? Thoughts or comments?

Karen

I would imagine you will be able to book those things when it opens for DV. Since DV1-DV6 are all the same priority. 

I wouldn’t think you need an actual room assignment for bookings. As far as dining, don’t worry as you will get pretty much anything you want once on board. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, KarKell said:

We have booked our 4th Viking cruise on the Jupiter for Scenic Scandinavia for June, 2023.  This is our  1st time choosing to book a DV6 or higher guaranteed cabin. I see that the cruise is sold out, yet we have not been assigned our cabin assignment. When chatting with Viking representative they said our room may not be assigned until we actually check in. My concern is that we will not be able to reserve excursions or dining ahead of time if we don’t know exactly what category room they have assigned us. 
Does anyone have experience with booking a “guaranteed cabin”? Thoughts or comments?

Karen

That seems so strange... we've always had cabin assignments far in advance of our cruises. In fact, we have the British Isles Explorer cruise in July 2024, already have our cabin assignment (it's listed in our guest statement). We have a river cruise in October, and we have our room for that cruise as well, and it's sold out.

Does it have something to do with how the cruise is booked? I've always booked them either onboard a cruise or on the Viking site, then I transfer them to my TA afterwards.

For our 3 previous cruises we did indeed choose our room… but for this time, out TA said we could save $$ by just booking a guaranteed cabin in a particular category,DV, and find out later which cabin we would get, sometimes with an upgrade. 
We shall see if it was a good decision or not. 

We had a GTY V1 cabin on our Caribbean Cruise in January.  The cruise was close to sold out when we booked, and we decided against selecting one of the few remaining V1's.  We received our assigned DV6 cabin about 10 days prior to sail date.  We were able to book excursions (at the V1 level) and dining reservations once on board, with no problem.

We had a DV 4 guarantee a few years ago booked directly with Viking and didn’t get our cabin assignment until check in at the dock.  We were able to make reservations when they opened up for DVs.  The only slight issue was it took a little longer to get our luggage since our tags said GTY and someone had to look up the cabin number.

It won’t be a problem booking excursions or dining. Your booking window will open with all the DV cabins since that is the category you booked. We have booked a DV GTY twice. Once the cabin was assigned within a few days of booking and once it wasn’t until we checked in. Both times we were “upgraded” from the DV6 we paid for to a DV 3 and DV4. But honestly it makes no real difference. Same cabin, just a different deck.
It seems people have reported getting assigned a cabin anywhere from months in advance to check in.  Keep an eye on MVJ because your cabin number often appears there a few days before they notify you by email. 
Never had any trouble getting our luggage either. 

16 hours ago, KarKell said:

Karen

I've done the guaranteed cabin bit twice now.  The first time we were less than 30 days from sailing and the second time, we were 4 months from sailing.  Both of the cruises were short cruises (because for a week, I can put up with whatever they give me). Having booked a V2 guaranteed cabin, both times we were assigned DV4 cabins. On one those sailings a bunch of us were waiting for our assignments; one of us ended up in a DV1 aft facing cabin. I don't think that I would go the guaranteed route for a longer cruise because there are cabins I know I would not want to live for more than a week.

On the first cruise, shorex had long since been open by the time we booked. On the second cruise, we did not not get our cabin until much, much closer to sailing; I don't remember which category we ended booking with.