Venice pier transportation

We will be staying in Venice overnight in June after our Costa cruise ends. We will be staying at a hotel Antiche Figure which is on the Grand Canal opposite the train station. I read on the board that it is only a few minutes walk from Piazzale Roma. My questions are:

1. How do we get to Piazzale Roma from the pier (I think it is called Marittima) to Piazzale Roma?

The following is from the Cruise Terminal's website:

FROM PIAZZALE ROMA

Piazzale Roma is the only part of the city of Venice that can be reached by car. Here information point for public bus and vaporetti, as well as taxi station and guarded parking areas are available.

The cruise and ferry terminals can be reached by:

- Taxi cab (about 2 minutes trip).

- Bus n. 6/ stopping just outside the entrance to the passenger port. On Mondays, Saturdays and Sundays, when ships are performing homeport operations, a free of charge shuttle bus to/from Piazzale Roma- Cruise Terminal is available every 15/20 minutes for cruise passengers.

Here's the link to the website: http://www.vtp.it/pages/comeRaggiungerci/crociere.jsp?n=0 (if it comes up in Italian, click on the U.Jack)

We walked to P. Roma because we knew where we were going and our luggage was manageable - but probably the easiest way is to take a taxi.

We did the Costa cruise out of Venice last September so I can only provide you information based on our experience which was that Costa cruise lines provided bus transportation between pier and Piazzale Roma both before and after our cruise. It is not a far distance but you would not want to walk it.

You should have no difficulty in either walking or taking the water bus (vaporetti) from your hotel to Piazzale Roma(unless you have too much luggage). In which case, you can check luggage that you might not need during your stay in Venice at a small check-luggage shop right in Piazzale Roma. This is what we did as we only needed small carryons for the days we stayed in Venice, then picked up our larger pieces on the way from Piazzale Roma when we caught the bus (Blue Bus #5l;about 3euros; and 20mins to airport) back to the airport. This was all very economical and easy to do. Hope all this info will help. Have a wonderful trip!!!

Thanks so much Susan-M and Gadaboutgal for the information. We are doing a Costa cruise so it will be great if they still give transfers from the ship terminal to P. Roma.

Hope you don't mind if I jump in here. If one were arriving Venice from Rome by train and needed transfer to the cruise ships(Marittima), should one get off at Mestre or S. Lucia ststion? Looking for the most convienent way with luggage.

I have a question for everyone who is suggesting getting off the train at the Mestre station which is on the mainland instead of getting off the train at the St Lucia station which is in Venice and right off the Piazza Roma. It would seem like it would be closer and cheaper to pick up a land taxi there to get to the port than from the mainland.

Any answers?

Thanks

Venice Santa Lucia Station is right in Venice so there is no access for vehicles which means you would have to walk with your luggage from the Station to Piazzale Roma across a couple of bridges to find the shuttle or taxi to the cruise terminal.Venice Mestre Station is the stop before Venice Santa Lucia and is on the mainland with ample parking for taxis and just an easy 15/20 minute ride right into the to the Cruise Terminal.

Venice Santa Lucia Station is right in Venice so there is no access for vehicles which means you would have to walk with your luggage from the Station to Piazzale Roma across a couple of bridges to find the shuttle or taxi to the cruise terminal.Venice Mestre Station is the stop before Venice Santa Lucia and is on the mainland with ample parking for taxis and just an easy 15/20 minute ride right into the to the Cruise Terminal.

Mike--

Do you know the appox cost for the taxi from Mestre to Marittima?

We will be departing the ship in Venice around 9:00am but our flight to Budapest doesn't leave until 9:00 pm. What is the best way to deal with this situation. Don't want to sit at the airport all that time but we will have luggage etc.

Carol

"We will be staying at a hotel Antiche Figure which is on the Grand Canal opposite the train station. I read on the board that it is only a few minutes walk from Piazzale Roma."

To JeanB:

We stayed in same hotel and walked to it from Piazza Roma. However, keep in mind that you have to cross at least 2 bridges to get to the hotel...the bridges have stairs - not ramps. So you are dragging your luggage up and then down the stairs twice. Another reason for packing light. Just letting you know ahead of time. We did it in pouring rain...not a pretty sight. But it was still the trip of a lifetime for us. Have a great trip!

To SuzieSmith,

I hope you see this reply. Thanks for telling me about the stairs. We are both seniors and I don't like the idea of dragging luggage up and down stairs. Can you suggest other hotels to stay at that's near P. Roma without stairs. We need that area because we have a 7:20 a.m. flight the next day and need to take a taxi or bus from P.Roma very early. I found out that the ATVO blue bus begins at 5:00 am to the airport which would be good.

As far as I know there isn't anything closer to Piazza Roma. That was why I had selected that hotel.

You might try finding a hotel near the airport since you have an early flight out anyway. That would be accessible by a 'land taxi' also. (from cruise dock to airport area)

Hope this helps.

By the way, when we left the hotel to go back to Piazza Roma there was a guy who just took my suitcases and carried them over the bridges for me. I did not ask him for help-he just took them. When we got everything over the bridges I went to tip him and he wanted more than I was originally going to give him! I gave it to him just so there wouldn't be a problem. But, I'm telling you this just so that you are aware of a possible situation.

If you have any more questions, just post here. I usually check in every few days.

Good luck and have a great trip!

jeanb,

Some info for Santa Chiara:

http://en.venere.com/hotels_venice/santa_croce_ovest/hotel_santa_chiara.html

You can find some other booking sites by googling on "Santa Chiara Venice".

I another option that might work for you, found on Venere, is Ca' Doge. See

http://en.venere.com/hotels_venice/santa_croce_ovest/hotel_ca_doge.html

You can also find other booking sites by googling on "Ca Doge Venice".

Archived