Handicapped Rooms, Will they kick you out?

knittinggirl

Dh fell and broke his hip (not complete fracture).  We tried to switch to a handicapped room, but none were available.   So, we booked a handicapped room for a new cruise in 2024.    We were told we need a note from the doctor, and they need it closer to our sail date.     DH always walks w/ a limp, and they have asked him if he needs a wheelchair upon occasion, but the reservation doesn't show this.   He once was told he'd qualify for a handicapped parking spot.

w/o the note, will HAL kick us out of the handicapped room?   If they  do, will they give us the same category or higher for the same price.

Did they say how far out they will need the note? The cruise is a year away, and they may be thinking that he will improve and not need that cabin. If you used a TA, I would get them to talk to HAL and get the answer in writing. I would also keep an eye on cabin availability as you near the date when they want the note.

If you have to be moved, they should give you the same category or higher. That happened to me one time on Cunard when I had a connecting cabin. Somebody wanted two connecting cabins, and since the one next to me was still available, they moved me to a different cabin. I did get an upgrade from that move, possibly because my TA talked the cruise line into it.

3 hours ago, knittinggirl said:

We were told we need a note from the doctor, and they need it closer to our sail date. 

I've got no experience with this type of cabin request.......but.....

Sounds like you will be fine as long as you follow their instructions and get the note. Right?  I'd confirm as to when the note is due and have my TA work thru all that...Including what the "note" needs to say.

3 hours ago, knittinggirl said:

w/o the note, will HAL kick us out of the handicapped room? 

I would think/hope that a handicap person (defined by HAL as one with a Dr's note, sounds like) would be prioritized & have priority for a handicap cabin. So yes, I would think that "no note" means possibly "no handicap cabin" for you.....And I'd certainly understand if I was moved to another cabin because a handicap person needed it.

Get the note and enjoy the cruise!  Or don't get the note and enjoy the cruise in possibly another cabin! Either way you are good!