Alaska in October?

Cruise5life

11 hours ago, rsato said:

I didn't stay up to watch, but somebody posted amazing photos of the Northern Lights taken at 2 am from the ship - but I understand the captain wouldn't want to wake up everyone with an announcement. 

I asked about the Northern Lights on my trip in Sept/2016 as it was really something I wanted to see.  The cruise director at the time put us on a list and we got a call in our stateroom around 2amish to notify us of the viewing opportunity.  I'm not sure this is something they are still doing, but it was awesome!

1 hour ago, smillerholmes said:

I asked about the Northern Lights on my trip in Sept/2016 as it was really something I wanted to see.  The cruise director at the time put us on a list and we got a call in our stateroom around 2amish to notify us of the viewing opportunity.  I'm not sure this is something they are still doing, but it was awesome!

On my Alaska cruise end of aug beg sept.   
we didn’t see them.  But someone posted here that on the next cruise the captain actually announced over the PA system at 1-2am that the lights were up and visible.    
there were some people so pissed off. And some so grateful.   Lolol

i like the call idea for sure.   
sign me up.  

• Like 1

On 2/21/2023 at 6:41 AM, ziggyuk said:

I did Alaska 16th October 2021 from Seattle and to be honest a lot was closed, we did not go whale watching as we did that from Vancouver pre cruise and there were sill as lot about but September/October is when they head back to Hawaii so there were not as many as earlier in the season.

We cruised in Alaska Sept 17-26 2019 and the whales were everywhere, playing, tails in the air, chasing each other etc. Glacier Bay etc They hadnt left yet. We saw them every day, didnt need a shore excursion.  It was wonderful.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sailingships said:

We cruised in Alaska Sept 17-26 2019 and the whales were everywhere, playing, tails in the air, chasing each other etc. Glacier Bay etc They hadnt left yet. We saw them every day, didnt need a shore excursion.  It was wonderful.

Yes, there will be but as they only start to migrate, there are a lot less in October when we went & the OP asked about.