SANTORINI... If you only have 2 days there... what are your TOP 3 recommendations?

Luv2cruisewithtwins

I am heading to Santorini this summer.  I only have 2 days there. What are the TOP 3 things you highly suggest we do, see & eat?

My husband and I are in our 50's, celebrating our postponed 25th wedding anniversary trip that was canceled due to covid.

Thank you in advance for any recommendations/suggestions.

Oia, seafood restaurant and stay through to celebrate sunset.

In Fira we walked down to the bottom and back. We're a similar age and not in the best of shape, but managed it (in April)

Akrotiri is interesting if you like the history --- otherwise Red Beach is a pretty hike.  

With only 2 days, I would just stay in Oia and not leave. It's one of the most beautiful places on earth 

Two days is not much time, but it is more than the 8 to 12 hrs that most cruisers spend. A few points. 

(1) I agree with @Sinbadssailors about Akrotiri. It is an excellent archaeological site. It is a huge, covered site. For whatever reason, there were very few people there when we visited.

(2) I agree with @Sinbadssailors about sunset dining in Oia, though dining in Fira may be on the similar level.  

(3) I would not stay in Oia but in Fira, because Fira is centrally located, and you can take a bus from Fira to anywhere on the island. Oia is just on the end, thus you'd need to bus or drive from Oia to Fira to even start your journey.

(4) The walk from Fira to the cruise ship port is fine; as @Sinbadssailors we too are just in average shape and had no problem walking it up in 40 min and down in leisurely 20. But I would not waste my time doing that. Instead I'd do the hike from Oia to Fira along the camera (per Cruisecritic policy I can't recommend since we have not done it).

(5) We also were considering but didn't do (thus can't recommend) visiting the small islands in the camera to see the hot springs.

Good luck, and once you get back, please let us know what you did, and how it was.

Thank you so much for the info. We are taking a cruise to Greece but staying in Santorini for 2 full days & nights before we board.   I heard Fira sunsets were amazing as well as Oia.  I made a reservation for a sunset view at PK in Fira and the 2nd night we are thinking about doing a sunset cruise. Any other suggestions? 

If coctails at PK are planned, then that should be great for a sunset! 

The videos I have seen of Oia at Sunset are like CRAZY packed crowds.

And, depending on the time of year and the location at Oia, the sun can set off to the right, behind the sight line.

I would like the idea of seeing and possibly having a meal or drinks at Ammoudi Bay.

This is where many of the sailing tours, maybe a sunset sail, depart from as well.

The other thing that might be a great focus would be a winery tour.

Planning to see a lot of history on the trip, I would probably not have Akrotiri as a priority.  Although I am sure it would be amazing!