Exchange $ or Credit Card

1 hour ago, chismrules said:

Thank you for the info about AE cards , in Norway it talks about CC with a 4 digit pin code. Even our Visa don't have a pin code. The only one that does is my visa debit card that comes directly out of my bank account which I really don't want to use. IDK maybe they do and we just need to set it up, and because its not required in US we don't have one. 

With very few exceptions (recalling a thread on this a few years back) US credit cards are coded as chip and signature. The various European (and other places internationally) credit card systems recognize this and you'll get a printout to sign. Which I hate because it identifies you as American no matter what else you're doing. Contactless cards are contactless, without a PIN or signature requirement up to the limit. Apple Pay and Google Pay are also contactless up the the local limit without a signature or PIN requirement. I'd look a little closer at Norway as I suspect you can use a contactless card without needing a PIN (or again, Apple Pay/Google Pay on your phone).

Unfortunately, even if you set a PIN on your US issued card (with rare exceptions), you'll still have a signature requirement if you don't simply use a contactless card.

Just saw that Post Captain did an excellent explanation of this earlier in the thread!

Some info specific to Ireland..

AmEx cards are not widely accepted due to their outrageous processing fees.

There is no limit on tap payments via android or apple, but for card tap the limit is €50. 
I’ve had an increasing number of American customers with Chip&pin cards as well as tap capable cards. 
One possible area that you may have trouble using a card in Ireland is taxis they’re supposed to accept card payments but “the machine is broken” is a regular refrain. There are no rideshare apps allowed here and AFAIK the main app used by taxi’s these days is FreeNow. 
Some retailers can offer a partial sales tax refund, the threshold changed last year to €75 minimum spend, sales tax in Ireland is 23% and already built into the prices, you can claim back a portion of it at the airport.