Need suggestions on area please.

RTR 21-0

After much consideration, going back and forth for a week, we’ve decided to spend our last night post cruise in Rome and will use a car service for transfer to airport.  Plans for the trip are as follows but I need some advice on a few things.  

We are staying in Piazza Navona pre-cruise and day of arrival we’ll stroll around, check out the Spanish Steps, maybe Parthenon before taking a tour of Colosseum in the afternoon.  Trying to stay outdoors that day to help keep jet lag at bay.  

Second day swing by Trevi before meeting a guide to tour Vatican in the morning.  We would like to check out the Trestavere area and thinking we can take a train from Vatican City.  Can anyone confirm the train to Trestavere is in the Vatican area?  It looks like it online but would like to make sure.  

We’re thinking the last day post cruise we would like a quieter area of rome to walk around until room is ready, something low key to unwind from the trip but a lovely area.  Recommendations on area and hotel would be greatly appreciated.  

For all of the past Rome visitors does this sound like a doable game plan? 

While the train does go from the vatican "area" to Trastevere, neither station is close to where you will be, or want to be.  The tourist part of Trastevere starts at the river and goes about halfway to the train station, you'd do better to take a bus.

Depending on where your Vatican tour ends (museums or basilica), you'd be either a half mile (the basilica) or one and a quarter miles (museums) from the San Pietro train station.  

There are two bus lines that go from the Vatican area (specifically from Piazza Pia) along the Tevere to Trastevere, that would be a more efficient way to get there.

Line 23:  Line Route 23 - ATAC - Bus Schedules | Moovit (moovitapp.com)

Line 280:  Line Route 280 - ATAC - Bus Schedules | Moovit (moovitapp.com)

Edited by euro cruiser
  • Thanks 1

Here's what I would suggest:

-- Arrive in Rome and check into hotel (Piazza Navona area)

-- Do the Rick Steves "Heart of Rome" walk from his guidebook, starting at Piazza Navona (#6 see map here) and ending at Spanish Steps (#16)

-- Grab a bite to eat near Spanish Steps and rest your feet

-- Take metro from Spanish Steps stop, changing at Termini to Blue Line to Colosseo stop. (or take a taxi). Meet your tour for Colosseum

-- Walk or take bus or taxi back to hotel, have dinner nearby, early night

Day 2:

-- Early morning walk to Campo dei Fiori to check out flower and food market; have a coffee at famous San Eustachio coffee bar near P. Navona.

-- Take morning Vatican tour, have lunch

-- Visit Castel Sant' Angelo in the afternoon; walk across the angel bridge (Ponte Sant'Angelo) and back to Piazza Navona, do a little shopping in the area if desired, have a nice dinner in the Navona/Pantheon area

When you return to Rome:

-- Stay in Trastevere for the night; walk around, enjoy the sights. It is such a contained area, it lends itself to this. Or you might step over the Tiber on one of the bridges and check out the Mouth of Truth in Santa Maria Cosmedin just on the other side.  (From Trastevere you could catch a local train to the airport if you want (or arrange a pick-up from car service.)

(The only "quiet" area I can think of is from the Via Veneto area to Borghese Gallery. It's nice but pretty dull. Nothing much to see except hotels and bars from the "La Dolce Vita" era, unless you want to plan a visit to the Borghese Gallery and/or Park area.)

Does your Colosseum tour include anything other than the Colosseum?  Seems a shame to miss the Forum, Palatine Hill, Circus Maximus, Baths of Caracalla -- all ancient sites in that area.

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Here's what I would suggest:

-- Arrive in Rome and check into hotel (Piazza Navona area)

-- Do the Rick Steves "Heart of Rome" walk from his guidebook, starting at Piazza Navona (#6 see map here) and ending at Spanish Steps (#16)

-- Grab a bite to eat near Spanish Steps and rest your feet

-- Take metro from Spanish Steps stop, changing at Termini to Blue Line to Colosseo stop. (or take a taxi). Meet your tour for Colosseum

-- Walk or take bus or taxi back to hotel, have dinner nearby, early night

Day 2:

-- Early morning walk to Campo dei Fiori to check out flower and food market; have a coffee at famous San Eustachio coffee bar near P. Navona.

-- Take morning Vatican tour, have lunch

-- Visit Castel Sant' Angelo in the afternoon; walk across the angel bridge (Ponte Sant'Angelo) and back to Piazza Navona, do a little shopping in the area if desired, have a nice dinner in the Navona/Pantheon area

When you return to Rome:

-- Stay in Trastevere for the night; walk around, enjoy the sights. It is such a contained area, it lends itself to this. Or you might step over the Tiber on one of the bridges and check out the Mouth of Truth in Santa Maria Cosmedin just on the other side.  (From Trastevere you could catch a local train to the airport if you want (or arrange a pick-up from car service.)

(The only "quiet" area I can think of is from the Via Veneto area to Borghese Gallery. It's nice but pretty dull. Nothing much to see except hotels and bars from the "La Dolce Vita" era, unless you want to plan a visit to the Borghese Gallery and/or Park area.)

Does your Colosseum tour include anything other than the Colosseum?  Seems a shame to miss the Forum, Palatine Hill, Circus Maximus, Baths of Caracalla -- all ancient sites in that area.

Staying in Trastevere the last night was the original game plan.  Started reading more on it and some articles said some of the area can be a bit loud at night and I didn’t think that would be conducive for a good night’s sleep before a long flight.  Some of the area seems a bit sketchy as well.  If anyone could recommend a great hotel in a safe area I think we would enjoy spending the day & night in Trastevere.  Even thought about doing an evening tour there. 

Thx for the route, guidebook and coffee bar suggestions!  I’m sure we will definitely need a shot or two of espresso especially the first day.  Tour guide offered to meet later the 1st day but I told him 2:00 worked better as any later and he would find us face planted and napping on the Colosseum floor 😂  That tour is 3 hours and includes the Forum. Vatican is 4 hours and is Vatican Museum; Sistine Chapel; St. Peter’s Basilica and Square.  

The loudest parts of Trastevere are generally the area to the west of Viale Trastevere.

I've stayed several times at Casa di Santa Francesca Roma, a former convent now run as a hotel.  The neighborhood is very quiet, but the lack of carpeting in the hotel means you hear footsteps in the hall when people walk by.  This could be a problem for light sleepers.

Casa di Santa Francesca Romana in Roma, Official Website (sfromana.it)

• Thanks 1

I can't personally recommend a hotel in Trastevere as, for me, it's a bit outside what I consider the center....where I like to stay.

What about considering a nice hotel just across the Ponte Sisto bridge to Trastevere (near the area of Trastevere most people want to explore):  Hotel Ponte Sisto.   You would also be close to the Jewish Ghetto if you want to get a taste of it as well (literally, as there are many good restaurants there).

Good to hear your Colosseum tour also includes the Forum. 👍👍

• Like 1

16 hours ago, RTR 21-0 said:

Room has been booked. Thank you Euro Cruiser and cruisemom42 for the helpful info!  Shout out to Google Maps as well 😂

What did you decide on?

If it's a hotel not frequently mentioned, please do come back after your trip and share any comments.

2 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

What did you decide on?

If it's a hotel not frequently mentioned, please do come back after your trip and share any comments.

Trastevere Sweet Dream.  More of an air B&B.  The gentleman who owns/ manages it has already been in contact with me so off to a good start.  I most definitely will let y’all know how it turns out.  

• Like 1