St Petersburg Transportation

Can anyone tell me if Princess has any shuttle service from the ship to the city in St Petersburg for those passengers wishing to tour independently? I read in one of the threads that Celebrity provides a bus for $10 and wondered if Princess does the same. If not, does anyone know how you can get into the city? I understand it's 3 miles to the port entrance and not many taxis are authorized to be in there, so not sure if there would be any just hanging around.

Can' t answer the shuttle question but most of the things I have read say it is about a 45 min drive into St Petersburg.

I'm sure you are aware that if you want to go it alone with a registered guide you need to obtain your own visa otherwise you will not allowed out of the port and someone said not even off the ship - armed guards at he gates!:eek:

Although I haven't taken Princess, I know that most ship companies have strict rules that if you don't have an excursion with them, then you will have to make all arrangements independently, including transportation into the city.

erin.gif

Do celebrity have a shuttle service at all ports

Can anybody advise me on short excursions in all ports which we could do on our own on Celebrity Constellation Scandanavia and Russia in June and whats the weather like at that time

Many Thanks

Slan Lait

Can anyone tell me if Princess has any shuttle service from the ship to the city in St Petersburg for those passengers wishing to tour independently? I read in one of the threads that Celebrity provides a bus for $10 and wondered if Princess does the same. If not, does anyone know how you can get into the city? I understand it's 3 miles to the port entrance and not many taxis are authorized to be in there, so not sure if there would be any just hanging around.

Hi there

There has been no shuttle in the previous years for Princess passengers. There are taxis available at the dockside and you will have to negotiate with them for the fare into the city it should be around $20. It is about 2km to the dock gate and not a very pleasant walk. Returning from the city you have to be sure to get a taxi that will be permitted through the dock gate, otherwise you have to get out, go through the gate and then negotiate with more taxis to get back to the ship, not an easy process. Also as has been mentioned you will need your own visa in order to ashore independently.

Hope this helps

John L

Hi there

There has been no shuttle in the previous years for Princess passengers. There are taxis available at the dockside and you will have to negotiate with them for the fare into the city it should be around $20. It is about 2km to the dock gate and not a very pleasant walk. Returning from the city you have to be sure to get a taxi that will be permitted through the dock gate, otherwise you have to get out, go through the gate and then negotiate with more taxis to get back to the ship, not an easy process. Also as has been mentioned you will need your own visa in order to ashore independently.

Hope this helps

John L

Interesting...we didn't see any taxis anywhere from the ship to the dock's gate....we were told that if we were doing St. Petersburg independently (which we weren't) that we would have to walk to the gate and pick up a taxi there (again, like you said, about 2 km)....

I asked a good friend of mine who lives and works in St Petersburg about this and he replied

"There is a shuttle bus for free to the gate. It is used by the dock workers and is available to cruisers also for free. After getting to the gate you can walk a couple hundred yards to the bus stop and take Bus #22 all the way into the city center for 12Rubles ($0.40 ) and get off right at Palace Square or Nevsky prospekt if you want to. This only is an option for those with visas. Most tour companies, and all private guides will be waiting out at the gate since they can not come into the port area. So a lot of people who booked private guides and drivers will be needing to get to the port gate on their own, but they can take the shuttle. Only a few large tour companies have port permits to come meet the ship because it is a high security area. Guides can come right up to small ships that arrive at the river dock on the river nowever."

So it looks like there is a away out of the port for low cost.

Jill

We obtained our Russian Visas for our cruise last September. When you go through the passport control just wait for the crew bus, it will be a white or yellow bus, get on it and ride to the front gate, it is free. At the front gate you have to show them your passport again. You can walk a couple of blocks and pick up the city bus #22 it will take your right into the heart of St. Petersburg for only a few rubbles, you pay the bus driver. It was great! Also don't be afraid to try the subway they were beautiful. We so enjoyed being on our own we had a great couple of days. If you have any questions just ask.

Archived