I really need help on suite prices

NEENEE

I thought I would throw this open to all you wonderful HAL travellers. I have prices for Deluxe Verandah & Superior Verandah Suites. The deluxe is for $3400 AUD p/p and superior $2300 AUD p/p. The deluxe price is for SC cat being cabins 5186 and 5187 at end of ship on verandah deck. The superior is for SS cat on navigation or we can go SY (same price) on Upper Verandah deck. We have never sailed HAL and this is for Oosterdam in April 2007 travelling Mexican Riviera. Is Deluxe really worth the extra $$. Is the Neptune lounge worth it, or do I keep my $$ for spending and go Superior Verandah Suite. I am at a loss as to what is the best. We will be cruising in a suite, however want the best for mum but not sure if the extra $$ for Deluxe is worth it. We are normally Carnival cruisers so really looking forward to a classy cruise with HAL. Do people in the suites use the Neptune loung much. I normally stay at hotels with private club facilities for suite guests, however at the end of the day, you don't stay much longer than a drink or nibble here and there. Also given that the SC cabins are on another deck to the lounge will be forgotten with the extra's such as butler service etc. By looking at brouchure the 5186 and 5187 seem to have wrap verandahs. Still not sure about being on the butt of ship....maybe Bonine can fix any little upsets:)

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to read this very long and drawn out posting and I hope we can get som great input to help us decide.

DH and I have stayed in both Deluxe verandah and Superior verandah suites, on the Oosterdam for Deluxe and the Westerdam for Superior. There is a significant difference in the size of the Deluxe suite as compared to Superior. That extra space is very nice and allows for a "dressing room" with separate closet and dressing table, plus increased space between the end of the bed and the sofa-sitting area of the cabin. This also makes the verandah longer. The Neptune Lounge is nice with its coffees, juices and snacks but, as you note, it generally is only visited for a short time on average. There is an incredibly contentious thread about this elsewhere.

We were comfortable in both "suites" but we did enjoy the free dry cleaning and extra space in the deluxe suite, and the NL was very nice.

Have a great cruise whatever you decide.

I don't know what the exchange rate is AUDS/USD so can't help you there. I'm sure someone will chime in with that info soon tho.

We were recently (Jan) on the Oosterdam in deluxe suite 5187. I can highly recommend it. However, there is no butler. (Challs from the Galaxy where were you when I needed you?) The wraparound verandah is huge (think 30 or more people out there). We weren't bothered at all by motion of the ship; I think our sailing was very fortunate and the seas VERY calm. We don't book a deluxe suite because of the Neptune lounge (in fact we seldom go in there) but for the size of the suite and verandah, and the other perks that come with the deluxe suite. We enjoy being able to take the sun without going up and fighting the chair hogs by the pool.

You'll have a great time no matter which you choose. Enjoy.

the suites use the Neptune loung much. I normally stay at hotels with private club facilities for suite guests, however at the end of the day, you don't stay much longer than a drink or nibble here and there. Also given that the SC cabins are on another deck to the lounge will be forgotten with the extra's such as butler service etc..

not sure what yu mean by drink but hard liquor is not served in the neptune lounge and there are no butlers on hal ships

I do want to add my 2 cents of opinion. We love 5187 on the Oosterdam and have had that cabin two times (the last being the week after shonuf) but you CANNOT compare the size of that cabin to the Mid Ship Deluxe Verrandah Suites. The cabin itself (5187) is MUCH smaller. Yes the balcony is absolutely wonderful but in fact is actually smaller in Square footage compared to the Superior Verrandah Suite. Which is why it is the cheapest of the Deluxe Verrandah Suites the advantage is the wonderful LARGE Balcony. With all that being said we will again book 5187 the next time we go on the Oosterdam in March 2007. We love this cabin and on the Oosterdam cannot imagine being in any other cabin. Now bear in mind it is quite a walk to the Neptune from these corner aft cabins as well as anything else that might be located more forward on the ship. But it was an easy walk and jog down the aft stairs to the dinning room. I hope I did not confuse you but if you don't mind the size of the cabin being smaller, you want a large balcony, you want the other SUITE PERKS and dont mind walking a lot go for 5187. If the Suite Perks are not important nor is the extra large balcony I would choose the Superior Verrandah Suite.

Here is a picture of 5187 verandah, if you want to see picture of the inside go to my webshots link below and look at Oosterdam Oct. 2005

1364719895_5187verandah.jpg.bd381017693c10b5bc23d626ea648657.jpg

We're booked in 5187 (Oosterdam) for our first HAL cruise - is the square footage truly less than the Superior Verandah Suites? I've tried to search for the square footage for this cabin but have been unsuccessful. Any information would be appreciated.

I've just come from an SS and was in one of the corner S's in Sept:

I'd say that the interior space of the Corner S's are just about the same as the SS's, with the dressing room and add'l closet space taking up some of the floor space that might be open in an SS...

But of course, that massive corner verandah is wonderful!!!

For a difference of $500/pp ($1000 total), I can certainly justify moving up to an S from an SS - but at $1100/pp ($2200 total) for a 7 or 10 day cruise, one can pay for a heck of alot of laundry, hors d'oervres, cocktails, Pinnacle Dinner parties, spa treatments, etc...

Has anyone stayed in S005 on the Maasdam? Did you like it?

I had tea with the occupants of a suite on the Ryndam---same cabin as on the Maasdam. It's lovely! It's got room, closets, shelf and drawer space galore. There's a dressing room and a great bath.

And, oh yeah, a veranda to beat the band.

If I could afford something like that I would be in cruise heaven.

We are just back from Veendam 006. Very pleasant cabin. The verandah is wonderful. It is so deep you can sit out and be out of the sun and the wind. It is absolutely private also.

The stern corner suite cabins on the newer ships are exposed to the cabins above and the Lido deck.

The bathrooms on the newer larger ships are nicer with double sinks and both tub and shower.

The Neptune is useful for emergency snacks cappuchinos magazines books TV if wife asleep. The concierge is helpful in booking excusions Pinnacle reservations and sorting out billing problems.

The suites are a good value and I prefer the older smaller ships.

Archived