Belize City Cave Tubing

toolworker

We're signed up for this excursion. Destination Services wasn't real helpful about details; can anyone here help?

How heavy are the tubes that we have to carry on the hike? One of us is small and concerned about the size and weight.

What provision, if any, is there for leaving valuables? Shoes and other things we want on the walk but not the tubing?

Is there any secure way to take a camera or phone that isn't waterproof?

4 hours ago, toolworker said:

We're signed up for this excursion. Destination Services wasn't real helpful about details; can anyone here help?

How heavy are the tubes that we have to carry on the hike? One of us is small and concerned about the size and weight.

What provision, if any, is there for leaving valuables? Shoes and other things we want on the walk but not the tubing?

The tubes are truck tire size inner tubes, not heavy but awkward for some to manage.

Not sure what valuables you want to take, but I wouldn't.  

As to a non-waterproof phone or camera, again, I wouldn't.  

You are floating down a river through caves, stuff will get wet.  Act accordingly.

Just FYI:  We booked a cavetubing experience for our cruise next month for $50 per person (or upgrade to cavetubing plus zip lining for $65) with the company ranked #1 on tripadvisor.  If you need help, the guide will carry your tube.  O charges $169 per person.

Cancel your O shore excursion, go with company above. Look up on Trip advisor. They were much better than O trip. I believe on our tour we had a place with lockers. The guides carried tubes for those who were struggling.  It is a fun tour. Get a waterproof case for your camera, they work well. Caves are dark but some light gets thru.

7 hours ago, toolworker said:

My spouse estimates they were about 5-7 lbs, but may be bulky for someone small.

7 hours ago, toolworker said:

We can't remember for sure if there were lockers. We think we remember that there were lockers available for a fee but we didn't use them. Things like towels (not valuables) could be left on the bus. The lockers (if we're remembering correctly) were at the beginning of the walk. I believe you must wear shoes/sandals while in the tube. I wore my basic Tevas (with ankle and toe straps) which qualified for wearing in the tube and are comfortable to walk in (Keens are good too). I also took a dry-bag (REI has them for less than $20...very handy) for our wallets and my sarong, plus we both had a water-friendly wide brim hat (hate the sun!).

The following was in our tour description (from O):
"Guests are advised to wear a swimsuit under a cover-up, t-shirt, shorts, water shoes or tennis shoes (shoes must be closed or have a strap, flip-flops are not allowed) they won't mind getting wet, and bring a towel from the ship. A change of clothes and shoes is also recommended. All guests participating in this tour will be required to fill out a liability waiver. Guests must be at least 10 years old to participate in this tour. There is a minimum height requirement of 40" which is strictly enforced. The cave system and its waterways may cause claustrophobia and panic in a very small percentage of guests. Guests must carry their own tube during the hike.

"

Edited by AMHuntFerry
sloppy typing :)
  • Like 1

We did the cave tubing. It was fun but sadly not much water. It was slow and as you are tied together, not as exciting as we hoped. I’m short but managed the tube. There were lockers where we went in. I too would suggest a private tour, but you may need transfer to and from the port. You will need ‘beach’ shoes to walk to the river. 

• Like 1