Need advice on Heathrow and a bit of venting

portiemom

My husband can walk slowly with a cane and has very limited vision. He uses the wheelchair services at airports just to get to the gate, but can walk onto the plane okay if they let us board in the first group (without folks running up our backs). We've been through Heathrow 3 or 4 times now and it never goes well. I realize this is a HUGE, busy airport, but I'm at my wits end in figuring out how to get through there without raising my blood pressure. I would prefer to never go through Heathrow again, but we enjoy London and the cruises leaving Southampton port.

Our first time through, they separated us. DH was shuttled to customs and baggage claim on the buggy, but I had to walk. By the time I reached him, DH was in tears because I wasn't with him. He thought I was lost. I was advised to ask for special services myself so I can go on the buggy with him. So now I put in for wheelchair services for myself. The last time was the worst. We were flying home to the US. They put us in a holding tank room (have done this before) because Princess transfer got us to the airport at 9:30 for a 14:30 flight. So we waited in the cramped room for hours and by the time they got us to the gate (a very long buggy ride, btw), we were one of the last people to board! Forget overhead bin space. Forget a calm walk onto the plane and getting settled in. (Sorry for ranting.)

Am I too passive? Am I too angry? Am I not saying or doing the right things? Do I need to adjust my expectations? Next time, I will try harder to find a flight to Gatwick, but I welcome any advice for dealing with Heathrow, in case we need to go through there again.

Heathrow is the worst, it’s worse than CDG, years ago a wheelchair assistance girl at CDG found that hard to believe. I now take my scooter rather than rely on wheelchair assistance there, the service is contracted out and is notorious. Unfortunately if you’re flying trans Atlantic I’m not sure you have any other option, if you pay for a lounge they will take you and leave you there, then collect you to get to the gate on time. They should board you first , if passengers are already boarding because wheelchair assistance were late in collecting you, it would be better to insist on waiting to board once everyone was seated. They’ll be keen to pressure you to join the queue but you could sit on the jump seat on the plane until the aisle is clear. We’ve sat on the plane at Heathrow waiting for wheelchair assistance for an hour or more a few times, they’ll pressure you to get off but it’s a long walk ! It’s even worse if you have a connecting flight and have to change terminals. We’ve never been separated though. 

• 6 months later...