Oosterdam Deck 8 under Lido Market

ProfessorandtheGeek

I had a Signature Suite under the Lido on the Oosterdam.  In the morning, I could hear carts wheeling across the floor above but once I realized what it was, I went back to sleep and it didn’t bother me.  I like deck 8 for the easy proximity to the Lido and  the Seaview pool.  We usually book an aft cabin or at least in the aft portion of the ship but took an upsell to the SS.

• Like 2

We were just on the Eurodam on deck 8. We were under the outside aft area, the tables under the covering were above us.  We could hear chairs moving, but it really didn't bother us.   We like the 8th deck because of the proximity to the Lido market and the outside areas.

• Like 3

Would never book on 8 deck under the Lido again.  Morning, chairs and carts rolling back and forth, and the evening the same.   I retire early in the evening, and it kept me awake while they were setting up for the next day.  Especially the carts that had plates, and glasses. 

Cruising Katie 

• Like 1

DH and I had a Signature Suite on the Oosterdam in 2020, 1 week before the shutdown.  I thought since we were under the Canaletto, we'd be OK soundwise....but no.  DH is a light sleeper, and all he could hear was the thump, thump, thump of the carts on the ceramic tiles on the Lido.  There is a room right across from the Canaletto where they drop off food waste, bowls, etc., so there are carts going by all day, into the evening and then early in the morning again. 

Didn't bother me, I can fall asleep anywhere and anytime....but DH said never again.

L.

• Like 1

Cabins under the direct food service ares (carts, tile floors, banging) and near crew stairwells (some  of the inside cabins) under the Lido deck are problematic- but the vast majority on this deck are not.

We have often stayed in cabins under the Lido deck with only the occasional late afternoon "chair scraping" when they clean up this area. I assumed they would be noisy during the day with pool noise coming over to our balcony. But the never happened. 

One more value paying the extra to "choose your own cabin", rather than taking a guarantee.. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OlsSalt said:

Cabins under the direct food service ares (carts, tile floors, banging) and near crew stairwells (some  of the inside cabins) under the Lido deck are problematic- but the vast majority on this deck are not.

We have often stayed in cabins under the Lido deck with only the occasional late afternoon "chair scraping" when they clean up this area. I assumed they would be noisy during the day with pool noise coming over to our balcony. But the never happened. 

One more value paying the extra to "choose your own cabin", rather than taking a guarantee.. 

Agreed!  Our SS was an upsell from a verandah to a guaranteed SS for $100 pp.  Great deal for me, with so much more room in the SS.  DH was so impressed with the room size, but the cart sound was just too much for him.  I'll never understand why they don't put down a LVP....it would definitely cut down on the thumping sound of the carts on tile.

L.

1 minute ago, leerathje said:

I'll never understand why they don't put down a LVP....it would definitely cut down on the thumping sound of the carts on tile.

L.

VSP - Vessel Sanitation Program requirement can be very strict about surface materials in food service areas - maybe a  softer flooring material would be impossible to clean and pass inspection. Fatter rubber tires on the carts might help too.  but a lot of it is just plain dish rattling noises too.