Renting a car - and driving on wrong side of road for first time

Over from NZ

The wife is hesitant (I guess, I am too) about the idea of hiring a car at Livorno to head to San Gimignano and possibly Siena. We've been to Florence, Pisa, Cinque Terre which are the options Princess are offering from Livorno. We've not had any luck getting any other passengers to join us for a small-group excursion.. so we've thought about hiring a car ourselves. Have never driven before in Italy, or any country that drives on the right side of the road. I've looked into the parking situation at San Gimignano. That's ok. We're in port from 7am to 7pm.. so would aim to hire it from say 8am and have it back by 5pm I reckon. Is that risky? Anything I should know? Could I get up to speed on their driving laws via google? Any advice appreciated. TIA. 

Several thoughts - the first is that unless you are very accustomed to driving with a manual transmission, while driving on the opposite side of the road for the first time isn't the time to reacquaint yourself.  I rented a manual transmission car the first time I drove on the other side and found it hard to focus on shifting with my non-dominant hand while simultaneously remembering to keep the car on the "wrong" side of the road.

Parking at San Gimignano and Siena is pretty easy, but do read up on ZTLs and know what the signs look like.  

I don't think you'll encounter any toll roads on this route, so you don't need to deal with that.

Don't rely exclusively on a GPS system, have a paper map as a backup.  

Also, don't rely entirely on credit cards.  Sometimes gas/petrol stations are unmanned and if the machine doesn't accept your credit card (chip and pin often required) you'll want a cash backup.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Agree with all that Euro Cruiser posted.  Like Euro, we have sometimes struggled with shifting with the other hand.   Having driven all over Italy (more than 10,000 miles within the country) I think this would be a most difficult place to "learn" about driving on the wrong side of the road (or course we think that the right side is right).  Italians are crazy (but safe) drivers and not for the faint of heart.  I have driven all over NZ (both North and South Islands) and there is nothing in NZ to compare to driving in Italy (although we did hare our moments around Auckland).   On the positive side, we have never seen a one-lane bridge in Italy :).

Hank

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Over from NZ said:

Have never driven before in Italy, or any country that drives on the right side of the road.  

Italy doesn't drive on the right side of the road.

They drive on the wrong side. 😏

Like  NZ, the UK drives on the left - but I've had stacks of experience of driving in continental Europe, the US and other misguided (🙂) countries.

Much of the time that's been in my own RHD vehicles - it's so very much easier when driving a rented car, so much more natural to drive on the right from the left-hand seat.

A small car is much easier and cheaper than a big 'un.

I've always driven shift-stick, but in rented cars with the steering wheel on the opposite side an automatic avoids the grief of trying to use the door handle or armrest to change gear, and its one less thing to think about. So regardless of your experience I'd recommend an automatic, altho it'll probably be a little more expensive..

The times to be extra-careful are at junctions, and pulling away from a parking spot or filling station on the wrong side of the road. Putting a scribbled note on the steering wheel, "Drive on the right, Dummy" or similar, when leaving the car helps.

Road laws & signs are very similar to the UK, and from memory not a lot different to NZ.

In some towns in Italy scooterists are a pain in the backside - apparently Italy's laws of the road don't apply to scooters 🙄.

After you've gotten out of Livorno, the first part of your drive to San Gimignano is boring but very easy - dual carriageway. Later it's single-carriageway country roads, much more scenic.

If you have time for Siena you can make it a more-interesting circular trip.

Do heed Eurocruiser's words about ZTLs.

But apart from the signs It'll be fairly obvious where they are likely to be 🙂

JB 🙂

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, John Bull said:

Italy doesn't drive on the right side of the road.

They drive on the wrong side. 😏

Like  NZ, the UK drives on the left - but I've had stacks of experience of driving in continental Europe, the US and other misguided (🙂) countries.

Much of the time that's been in my own RHD vehicles - it's so very much easier when driving a rented car, so much more natural to drive on the right from the left-hand seat.

A small car is much easier and cheaper than a big 'un.

I've always driven shift-stick, but in rented cars with the steering wheel on the opposite side an automatic avoids the grief of trying to use the door handle or armrest to change gear, and its one less thing to think about. So regardless of your experience I'd recommend an automatic, altho it'll probably be a little more expensive..

The times to be extra-careful are at junctions, and pulling away from a parking spot or filling station on the wrong side of the road. Putting a scribbled note on the steering wheel, "Drive on the right, Dummy" or similar, when leaving the car helps.

Road laws & signs are very similar to the UK, and from memory not a lot different to NZ.

In some towns in Italy scooterists are a pain in the backside - apparently Italy's laws of the road don't apply to scooters 🙄.

After you've gotten out of Livorno, the first part of your drive to San Gimignano is boring but very easy - dual carriageway. Later it's single-carriageway country roads, much more scenic.

If you have time for Siena you can make it a more-interesting circular trip.

Do heed Eurocruiser's words about ZTLs.

But apart from the signs It'll be fairly obvious where they are likely to be 🙂

JB 🙂

Brilliant. Thank you John!!

Pay a little more and get an automatic, makes it a lot easier. Get GPS if you can but like earlier post have paper map as back up. We live in California and did not find driving in Italy any crazier, but just don’t drive in the larger cities.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, realnice46 said:

Pay a little more and get an automatic, makes it a lot easier. Get GPS if you can but like earlier post have paper map as back up. We live in California and did not find driving in Italy any crazier, but just don’t drive in the larger cities.

They charge you more for auto?? Just about everything would be auto these days anyhow?

Just now, PurpleTraveller said:

Manual cars are more common than automatics in Europe. To rent an automatic is more expensive than a manual.

I did not know that. That's interesting. Thank you. Yes.. will get an auto -  I thought the explanation from John Bull of trying to use the door handle or arm rest to change gears was very good.. haha 🙂  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Over from NZ said:

I did not know that. That's interesting. Thank you. Yes.. will get an auto -  I thought the explanation from John Bull of trying to use the door handle or arm rest to change gears was very good.. haha 🙂  

Yes, his explanation of changing gears was good. Also the indicators will be on the opposite side of the steering wheel (unless you drive a European car such as a BMW) and the number of times my husband accidentally turned the windscreen wipers on instead of the indicator I hate to think! 😀

You will probably need to pre-book an automatic car to make sure you get one rather than a manual. I think you are very brave to drive on the opposite side of the road for the first time in Italy. Good Luck and I hope you have a great day and cruise! 🛳️

• Like 1

Interesting topic!  I don't have the challenge of it being the 'wrong' side of the road as I'm Canadian, however I am interested in renting a vehicle at Livorno port for a tour of San Giminagno and potentially Volterra - although I'm open to suggestions for another interesting hilltop town to see but have already been to Siena and Lucca.  Our stop in Livorno is October 6th aboard the Enchanted Princess.  From what I've read there are two of the larger rental firms at the port (Hertz and Avis) but their prices are quite a bit higher than some of the other rental agencies that I don't know much about (Drivalia, SurPrice, Autovia, Noleggiare, rentalcars.com, etc.).  The reviews that I have started to read about Drivalia and SurPrice are brutal.  Has anyone any tips on which agency to rent from?  Any positive experience with any of the lesser know agencies at that port?  I'm leaning to stick to Hertz or Avis but concerned with the pricing (currently seeing best for a small car at $210cdn).  I'm also concerned with the logistics of getting to the car rental agency as I under the port is quite large and not really walkable.

Thanks for any tips!

Kerby

• Like 1

6 hours ago, kellk said:

Interesting topic!  I don't have the challenge of it being the 'wrong' side of the road as I'm Canadian, however I am interested in renting a vehicle at Livorno port for a tour of San Giminagno and potentially Volterra - although I'm open to suggestions for another interesting hilltop town to see but have already been to Siena and Lucca.  Our stop in Livorno is October 6th aboard the Enchanted Princess.  From what I've read there are two of the larger rental firms at the port (Hertz and Avis) but their prices are quite a bit higher than some of the other rental agencies that I don't know much about (Drivalia, SurPrice, Autovia, Noleggiare, rentalcars.com, etc.).  The reviews that I have started to read about Drivalia and SurPrice are brutal.  Has anyone any tips on which agency to rent from?  Any positive experience with any of the lesser know agencies at that port?  I'm leaning to stick to Hertz or Avis but concerned with the pricing (currently seeing best for a small car at $210cdn).  I'm also concerned with the logistics of getting to the car rental agency as I under the port is quite large and not really walkable.

Thanks for any tips!

Kerby

Check out Sifracar.com.    SIFRACAR | concessionaria a Livorno noleggio auto - rent a car

We have used them, multiple times, over many years with decent results (although you should not expect a new vehicle).  They used to be the local Hertz franchisee, but now seem to be independent.  They also used to be able to deliver cars right to the ships and it was OK to drive back into the port and drop near the ship.  How much has changed since COVID I do not know, but you can e-mail these folks and ask about their "Cruiseship Special/"

One warning about renting cars in Italy (and Europe).  The norm is to get a car with a stick shift (manual transmission).  If you cannot drive a stick you will need to specifically request an automatic and expect to pay significantly more money for the rental.

Hank