What is your experience going Transatlantic on Azamara - rough seas, seasickness, etc.?

JM0115

5 hours ago, Dr H said:

We've done at least 6 transatlantics, spring and fall, to and from Florida. No one can predict the weather, not even the climate change experts, but that said, we've never had any significant problems. On two trips out of Florida in the Spring, things did get a bit funky on the first full cruise day going into the Gulf Stream. A lot of queasy passengers, my wife included, and I have to admit, I've felt better. We went outside, flopped ourselves onto a lounger at the pool, covered up and went to sleep. End of problem. Nothing was returned to King Neptune. The only real issue we've had has been what to pack. Dead of winter on all of our trips, the weather was great, it was warm, pools were used, and what the general public doesn't know about the spa deck is fine with me. I use it all the time. Rain is a much bigger issue up there than wind, no matter the season. The weather starts to cool off when you start heading north toward the Azores and then on to Portugal, usually the last 2 days or so of the Atlantic transit. The captains know where the bad weather is going to be, and they do all they can to avoid it. Our biggest surprise about a Transatlantic was how consistently great the weather has been, regardless of season. Second biggest (maybe the biggest, actually) is how much more comfortable the WESTERN journey is out of Lisbon to Florida rather than going east. You finally are given back all those time zone hours that were stolen from your lives, and almost every day. It's almost like free cruising. Have a great trip. We are booked Lisbon to Miami this November, and counting the days.

I think that Florida T/A in the spring with the rough seas might have been the one we were on with you? 

Nice hearing from you again LuAnn, it's been a while. As for the T/A, hard to say... I will say you were supposed to have been on one of our recent (ie, within the past 5-9 years) cruises, but we never saw you. You put up a posting here on CC, but as I said, never saw you. Anyway, we are B2B Rome to Ft Lauderdale leaving Rome Nov 7. If you're free, let us know, it would be lovely seeing you again. David

We did a TA on the Oceania Sirena (same R-class as the AZ ships) this April, Aruba to the Canaries. As flat and sunshiney as you could hope for. Not much of a test of the ship's tendencies in rough water.

Edited by NewSalty
Adder

22 hours ago, Dr H said:

Nice hearing from you again LuAnn, it's been a while. As for the T/A, hard to say... I will say you were supposed to have been on one of our recent (ie, within the past 5-9 years) cruises, but we never saw you. You put up a posting here on CC, but as I said, never saw you. Anyway, we are B2B Rome to Ft Lauderdale leaving Rome Nov 7. If you're free, let us know, it would be lovely seeing you again. David

That was the T/A when Kenneth fell and you helped us out so much!! I'm not sure you knew but Kenneth developed Dementia and Parkinson Disease so I had to cancel some cruises..that was probably one of them. He passed away in March of last year.

It would be great to see you too!! I'm booked on Oceania for October this year but I have T Day booked on Onward for '24 to the Carib. Want to come on that one? 

SO sorry to hear about Kenneth officially. I had heard rumors from the crew members that he had gotten worse, we suspected he had passed away. All I can say is that I'm very grateful that I was there when you needed me and was able to help (and insured he got the tests he needed.)  No plans for 2024 yet, but let me run this past the Boss. As I said, wonderful hearing from you! David

22 hours ago, Dr H said:

SO sorry to hear about Kenneth officially. I had heard rumors from the crew members that he had gotten worse, we suspected he had passed away. All I can say is that I'm very grateful that I was there when you needed me and was able to help (and insured he got the tests he needed.)  No plans for 2024 yet, but let me run this past the Boss. As I said, wonderful hearing from you! David

Thank you David. As it turns out his final cruise was on AZ over the holidays in '19. And he loved being on board for that time frame so it was really the best final cruise with all the helpful staff on board. Would be great to catch up for T Day!!! 🙂

Hi!

I've done several Transatlantic crossings, the most recent one on Azamara Onward, last November. The cruise was from Lisbon to Miami with a stop in Bermuda. However, the predicted weather for the "north Atlantic" was for swells 3-5 meters! We didn't take that route, but instead took a Southern Atlantic route an wound up with a stop in Nassau. That was the worst part of the trip! Even taking the southern route, it was rockier than normal. Fortunately, I don't get sea sick. Not many others did get sick. 

I wouldn't hesitate to do another crossing with Azamara. They take precautions. There isn't really  any excuse for that Carnival cruise ship going through that horrific storm a couple of weeks ago. 

This is off topic, but maybe someone knows the answer to this. I'm booking an Azamara cruise from Rome to Lisbon. We overnight in Lisbon at the end, but it says our  departure time ia 10 a.m.  That seems strange, since I would think they would want us off the ship a lot earlier than that. A flight home leaves at 1105, so I need to know whether I can leave the ship at 0730, or do I need to book a hotel room for one night. I hate to ask my TA to find out, since even she gets stuck on line for 2-3 hours everytime she calls.

Linda