Electrical cords

annmarz

I get that most cruise lines prohibit surge protectors for safety reasons.  But I read somewhere on the website that extension cords and multi-plug power strips must be approved by Virgin.  Is this true?  If so, how and when are they approved?  

In October, I brought 2 multi-plugs and one European to US converter.  Nothing had to be approved in any way.  As it turned out, we didn't need to use any of them as there were outlets on each side of the bed (1 US and 2 usbs) and the same on the desk as well as those that were being used by the tablet, TV, etc.  There was also one European outlet at the desk.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, neverendingcruising said:

I have a 4 outlet travel power strip I've taken on Disney, Royal, and Virgin without issue. I think the trick is it not having a surge protector for some reason. 

This is true

On a cruise ship the electrical system is different to that at home. Both the active and neutral circuits carry current whereas at home it is only the active wire. Having a surge protector can cause a fire if it trips as it only breaks the live current.

• Like 2