Any tips for traveling with ext. family?

Hi, We are traveling with my parents and our twin sons (age 11)! We are on the same deck, my parents are at the bow and we are more toward the stern. We have the same dinner seating. They have cruised several times in the past few years. We haven't been since before the kids! Any suggestions? And also, do you take your kids to any of the shows? We are going on RCCL Mariner in May! Thanks!!:)

The BEST cruise I was ever on was a family cruise November 2001 on RCL Explorer of the Seas.

It started with me, my wife and two kids 13 and 9. Joined by parents in their 70s. Joined by sis and brother in law in the upper 40s. Joined by cousins in our age (about 40) with no kids. Joined by aunt and uncle in their 70s. We took two large tables at dining.

None of our cabins were joined...we were from low deck inside to junior suite on a high deck.

Since we all dined together it was the place to make plans. Not everyone did everything together but we all loved that trip.

Yes, the kids went with us to the shows and they always enjoy them. Sometimes they would see the shows with the youth group, sometimes with friends they meet and their parents, sometimes with us, sometimes they and their friends joined us. We typically allow the kids to be served dinner first and without the delay between courses so they can join their program or friends while we enjoy a more liesurely dinner.

Our kids have been on several cruises starting when they were about 5. I remember that we were seated with a couple that were appalled by the fact we had a 5 year old with us and the Maitre'd moved them and sat another family with us. Not only was it best for the couple that moved but we made friends that we still occassionally talk with. The kids became buddies for the trip and we travelled together after that cruise a couple times.

Your twins will have a great time and so will you and your parents.

we just got back from a cruise that started out my hubby and I with his brother and soon to be fiance', then her parents, then some friends...by the time we set sail there was 20 of us....We planned excursions before hand and some did one thing others did something else....On board we had dinner together and usually ate at the same spot for breakfast but in between we kind of did our own thing....that way we had together time and time to ourself as well....We have kids and they sometimes went to the shows and sometimes stayed in the kids camp...the late shows are usually not geared for the kids but the others are...hope you have fun!! Just make it a point to let the other family members know that this is what you are doing and they are welcome to do that but feel free to do their own thing...that way everyone will be happy and if they arent it is their own fault:D just to let youi know all 20 of us had a blast and cant wait for the next one!

Register children in children's program...ask the children's program director which shows would be appropriate for your children (they also have child watching services on board)...Have fun and don't always hang together, get out and explore on your own.

Some have already mentioned this but speaking from experience....Don't try to do everything together!...We had a terrible time on the first "family cruise" we did with getting into what I call "cattle mode". Somebody would stop to look at something and the whole family would stop and start "grazing"...even after the person who stopped re-joined the group everybody would just keep grazing. hehehe some in the family would get a little ummm upset when I started making noises like a cow. Avoid the cattle mode!

Archived