Ketchikan duck tour and lumberjack show booked day of?

ChanaC

For Ketchikan, we're mostly playing it by ear. As of now we have nothing booked and want to just walk around the town and explore, and since we'll be there in early May we want to see how the weather holds up before committing to something outdoors. However, we're also potentially interested in the lumberjack show and maybe the duck boat tour. Has anyone ever bought tickets for either day of? Does the duck boat tour have one of those kiosks at the port? From my research the lumberjack show doesn't often sell out and tickets are available at their box office, and it looks like there are three showtimes on our port day. But it also looks like there will be four ships in port on our day, so for both I'm worried about how fast they sell out, even if we are very early into the season. I know the "smart" plan would be to book this all in advance, but if we wait until the last minute will we still potentially be okay?

I've done both and while they're fun, they're a bit lame compared to the deadliest catch or a trip to Misty Fjords.  There's a really good nature center in town run by the Forest Service and Park Service.  Another low-key option is the rainforest walk out where the zip line is, with a fair chance of seeing a bear.  

24 minutes ago, wolfie11 said:

...... There's a really good nature center in town run by the Forest Service and Park Service.  ...... 

This seems to be a reference to the SE Alaska Discovery Center.  They accept several annual passes  so check their website for the the list.  They also offer a junior ranger program.  While we generally don't stay more than an hour this is an option for those who find themselves in Ketchikan on a cold, rainy, windy day.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wolfie11 said:

I've done both and while they're fun, they're a bit lame compared to the deadliest catch or a trip to Misty Fjords.  There's a really good nature center in town run by the Forest Service and Park Service.  Another low-key option is the rainforest walk out where the zip line is, with a fair chance of seeing a bear.  

I completely agree with the Deadliest Catch Tour being one of the better options. We've done it 3 times as recently as this past September. The grandkids really enjoyed it.

All 3 tours are good.  If you have never been on a duck then its fun.  If you've never seen a lumberjack show, the guys are quite amazing.  Same goes for the deadliest catch, people really enjoy it.  Being from the Pacific Northwest I've hauled all those creatures in myself, so no need to do so.  Wouldn't think twice about a Gulf Coast shrimp trawler tour as I've never done it.  Why not and enjoy.

Thanks all. I'll take another look at the Deadliest Catch excursion but admittedly our whole family has taken a look at all the excursions and this didn't really stand out to anyone, and it might be out of our budget a bit. 

• Like 1