My review of The Getaway. Feb 18-26

Deacon22

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Thank you for sharing your review with everyone at Cruise Critic. Please consider submitting it to the site for publication as well: Click: Write a Review on any page!"

Deacon22 was awarded the badge 'Great Review'

Figured I would reciprocate with a review.  Writing this from my phone so please excuse the grammar, spelling etc.

Went on the packed Getaway with my wife and my son and daughter.  They are 16 and 17.  

We stayed in two balcony cabins on the 11th deck. 11766 and 11764.  They were not adjoining but next to each other.   No issues with the cabin.  The balcony is small but big enough to sit out there.  There was a considerable amount of noise coming from the crew area at night.  It didn’t bother us but if you want silence, this may not be the cabin for you.

Steward was very nice.  When I arrived I asked for distilled water for my cpap machine. He got it in an instant and asked me if I wanted an extension cord for it.  I had brought one but it was nice to know that they have it.

For this cruise we got the Free at Sea Plus and the Vibe Cabana.  For us, I think this was worth it.  The vibe cabana was worth it because we had beautiful weather and the cruise was packed.   The free at sea plus was probably worth it for all the aqua panna and Starbucks we drank.   Certainly wasn’t worth it for my upcharge in drinks.  I don’t drink wine and I drink bourbon or tequila.   They really didn’t have great options in either and if I did go with Buffalo trace, it was a dollar extra. 

Restaurants-  the MDR Savor and Taste had great service and cold food.  The food was mostly tasty but the temperature was all over the place.  I actually was writing down everything we ate and how we enjoyed it. I was going to add it to a live but I was informed by someone that you shouldn’t “hijack” someone’s post.  What are we in the Middle East?   These boards are to inform other people, not to give one clout.  But whatever.  
The Tropicana was my least favorite on board.  The service was absolutely brutal.  Waited forty minutes for them to clear out main dishes and get a desert menu.   We gave up.  

Teppanyaki was great.   They no longer have filet mignon but the strip steak was tender and enjoyable.  Was a great dinner. Everyone enjoyed it. 

La Cucina.  Usually I say you can skip the Italian specialty dinners on cruises.  I  Italian and never really love it.  My shrimp fra diavolo was actually delicious.   I will say the portions were small and this was everywhere on the ship.  You can see they are cutting back.  The pizza which my kids had was awful.   The buffet pizza was better.  Dessert was delicious. 

Ocean Blue.   Had the filet mignon here and it was fantastic.  Blazing shrimp and gumbo were also excellent.  Second best place I ate. 

Cagneys.   Couldn’t believe it.   All o heard on the ship was how great it was.  I didn’t like it.  Ocean Blue steak I felt was much better.   I got the 8oz filet.   Definitely gave me the petite.  It was tiny and over cooked.  Shrimp cocktail was ok. The heirloom tomatoes were ridiculous.   Was cut supper thin and they chopped onions with it.  If I had to pay for this dinner which was 420$ he receipt said, I would’ve been greatly disappointed. The crème brûlée was delicious though. 

OSheehans was terrible.  

I tried to get into Shanghai three times and was shut down.   On the fourth try, I went an hour early before they opened.   It was the best thing I ate on the ship.  Wish I went four more times.  The lo mein was the best lo mein I’ve ever eaten.   Amazing.

Entertainment- we went to Bway Unplugged which was pretty good.  Good singers there.  
Burn the Floor.  While they are surely talented, I was bored after the first 25 mins.  It was the same kinda music for an hour. 
Million - was entertaining.  Elvis was great.  My one critique is the music is too loud so you really can’t hear the singers voice until the acoustic performances. 
Dueling pianos was fun.  One really good female singer there. 
The comedians were my favorite thing.  They had two.  They were both funny.  One parent decided to bring an 11 year old to the adult show at 11 o’clock and sit in the front.  😁

part 2 in a bit. 

• Like 11

POrt Canaveral - had a layover here.   Got in at about 4 pm.  Left the next day around 6.  We took the transfer to Cocoa Beach for a NCL excursion that was free because of the 50$ credit.   They drop you off at a Hilton on the beach and you get to use their facility.    We rented chairs for 20$ and had a beach day.  The weather was great but hot. We left early and took an uber back to the boat.  A short 15 min ride.  

NCL Island in the Bahamas.    I was kinda impressed with this.  The tendering off the boat was run well.  When we got to the island there was plenty of beach chairs.  I really didn’t know what to expect 4800 people leaving the ship heading to the same location.  It wasn’t an issue.  Getting a drink or food which of course is included was never difficult.  The food was basically the same food in the buffet.  We snorkeled and layed out and had another relaxing day. 

Bermuda was cancelled so we ended up in Miami.   Weather was great and we all went to South Beach.   Hit the beach for a couple of hours.  My 17 year old son enjoyed himself looking at all the models on that beach.    After the beach, we ate lunch in Miami and went back to the ship.   

The ship was packed with over 4800 people. 1500-1800 children (heard all sorts of numbers.).  I never felt like it was took crowded except the last sea day when it was cold and raining.  

I felt the service on the ship was very good.  I never waited longer than five minutes for a drink but I also picked an chose my spots.  If I was at OSheehans and it looked packed, I would just walk forty feet to the next bar and got my drink.  

Im sure I’m leaving tons out but the cruise was a success in my eyes.  My kids had a ball and my wife loved it.   I would say the decision to get the vibe was important.  Although probably not worth it on a less crowded cruise (589$ with cabana) We never had to fight for a chair.  And it was super relaxing.  The privacy was definitely worth it for us. 

I try not to complain when there was an issue, I just moved on and try to make the best of it.  It’s clear NCL is cutting corners to try to make some money and they are understaffed.  But I believe every cruise line is doing the same.  Would I cruise again with NCL.  Sure, but they definitely didn’t make it like it was my only choice.   I may do RCL soon to compare the two. 

• Like 6

23 minutes ago, Deacon22 said:

Im sure I’m leaving tons out but the cruise was a success in my eyes.  My kids had a ball and my wife loved it.   I would say the decision to get the vibe was important.  Although probably not worth it on a less crowded cruise (589$ with cabana) We never had to fight for a chair.  And it was super relaxing.  The privacy was definitely worth it for us. 

I'd have to agree. Didn't figure it out in time and had to do it at $249/pp due to only 5 or so of them, but was there almost daily on the same cruise, and Kev's service was great. He was the only person we filled out a form for in terms of being a vacation star.

For an extra $89 we would have killed for the privacy of the full cabana, so goo call on that. 

Did you guys get fruit and any other service? We got fruit skewers maybe twice through the week, but the drinks were always flowing, and we got to know the bartenders. 

They're cutting corners but the staff's doing their best especially when they run at full capacity. 

Only got the fruit once.  Of course it was Kevin who brought it.  But I can’t complain about the Vibe.  It was a good

move getting it. Funny one sea day my wife went to meet my daughter and I was at the bar in the vibe.  She came back 20 minutes later. I said that was quick.  She said the pool deck is chaos.  😁. I was a star in her eyes booking the Vibe 

• Like 2

Thanks for the review. The pizza is not the only thing at La Cucina that is better at the buffet or MDR.  The rigatoni I had was better at the buffet.  The gnocci we had was better at the MDR.  Glad you enjoyed your dish but many/most dishes there don't qualify for a specialty meal IMHO.  I remember the days it was only $10 extra.  Maybe it was worth it then but you can get boiled boxed pasta and jar sauce anywhere.

Wow just looked up that rates for Vibe for our upcoming cruise and it is $389.00 pp not including the cabana. Don't know if it is worth it but it does look like our cruise is going to be a full one.

17 hours ago, Deacon22 said:

POrt Canaveral - had a layover here.   Got in at about 4 pm.  Left the next day around 6.  We took the transfer to Cocoa Beach for a NCL excursion that was free because of the 50$ credit.   They drop you off at a Hilton on the beach and you get to use their facility.    We rented chairs for 20$ and had a beach day.  The weather was great but hot. We left early and took an uber back to the boat.  A short 15 min ride.  

Thanks for taking the time to write this review! We will be sailing on 3/26 and the only excursions I see for Cocoa Beach are the transfer to Cocoa Beach Surf Company for $15.00 which runs each way every 30 minutes, or for $29.00 a 6 hour stay at Cocoa Beach. Did your tour specify the Hilton or did you just do it on your own? TIA

• Like 1

On 2/28/2023 at 3:59 PM, Kruizin'Kath said:

Thanks for taking the time to write this review! We will be sailing on 3/26 and the only excursions I see for Cocoa Beach are the transfer to Cocoa Beach Surf Company for $15.00 which runs each way every 30 minutes, or for $29.00 a 6 hour stay at Cocoa Beach. Did your tour specify the Hilton or did you just do it on your own? TIA

The 29$ day at the beach tour is the one at the Hilton.  They should mention that.   I don’t k ow why they don’t.   I actually called  before our cruise to ask what it entailed and the ncl agent didn’t know. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Deacon22 said:

The 29$ day at the beach tour is the one at the Hilton.  They should mention that.   I don’t k ow why they don’t.   I actually called  before our cruise to ask what it entailed and the ncl agent didn’t know. 

Thank you for your reply! Do you remember if this was the Hilton Ocean Front or the Hilton Garden Inn? Could you use the pool, bar and restrooms?

Thanks,

Kathy

2 hours ago, Kruizin'Kath said:

Thank you for your reply! Do you remember if this was the Hilton Ocean Front or the Hilton Garden Inn? Could you use the pool, bar and restrooms?

Thanks,

Kathy

Was the Ocean front.    You are allowed to use everything but the pool area. 

• Like 1

I was on this cruise.   Everything he did that I did, I agree.

I dealt with the kids club a bit more.   If you were not there 30 minutes prior to opening, your kid was not getting in.

I got the Thermospa instead of the VIbe for my peace and quiet.   Didn't have much time to go since the splash academy was always full.    But when I did, it was great...but considerably worse than breakaway and others.   Unisex sauna and steam rooms were meh.   The best part of the breakaway sauna is being above the bridge.   The thermopool has a little nuance to it as well.   The metal sit down area?   Breakaway is too long....Getaways is too short.    Cant win I guess.

My biggest complaint about the MDR is they replaced the lasagna with baked Ziti.   Hard pass.  

My son and I had a blast.   Our steward was great, and everyone was trying.

Oh and there are many complaints about Osheehans buffalo wings not being fried.    I was mad too! 

However...TRY them!   They are excellent!!!

• Like 2

On 3/3/2023 at 8:07 PM, jethrojam said:

I dealt with the kids club a bit more.   If you were not there 30 minutes prior to opening, your kid was not getting in.

I got the Thermospa instead of the VIbe for my peace and quiet.   Didn't have much time to go since the splash academy was always full.    But when I did, it was great...but considerably worse than breakaway and others.   Unisex sauna and steam rooms were meh.   The best part of the breakaway sauna is being above the bridge.   The thermopool has a little nuance to it as well.   The metal sit down area?   Breakaway is too long....Getaways is too short.    Cant win I guess.

My biggest complaint about the MDR is they replaced the lasagna with baked Ziti.   Hard pass.  

Oh and there are many complaints about Osheehans buffalo wings not being fried.    I was mad too! 

The wings were terrible.  I could’ve dealt with the baked wings if they were cooked at a higher temperature.   They really were brutal.  I think my favorite thing there was the nachos which they didn’t have on the late night menu.  

• Like 1

Was the kids club always too crowded to get in? You have to be there before they open? I hadn’t heard that before. 

On 3/3/2023 at 7:07 PM, jethrojam said:

4 minutes ago, Winky7650 said:

Thank you for your review. We will be on the Getaway in May. We bought the Vibe passes, but I wish I would have gotten the cabana for a few dollars more. 

I initially got the vibe passes then called NCL and changed it.   If they’re not sold out yet you can always change it 

14 hours ago, Deacon22 said:

I initially got the vibe passes then called NCL and changed it.   If they’re not sold out yet you can always change it 

Thank you. I will call them this morning

• 4 weeks later...

@Deacon22 I was searching the site for Getaway cabana info and this thread came up - first, thanks for your review which is super helpful.  We just booked a cabana for a Getaway sailing in the fall and I was wondering about the cabana assignment / location process.  About how many cabanas are there on the Getaway and are they all in the same general vicinity?  I know they expanded the Vibe area relatively recently and I wasn't sure if that meant the cabanas would be spread out.  Also I assume you get the same cabana for the whole cruise - do they assign you one or do you pick? 

Thank you!

On 3/5/2023 at 3:50 PM, Winky7650 said:

Thank you for your review. We will be on the Getaway in May. We bought the Vibe passes, but I wish I would have gotten the cabana for a few dollars more. 

Same, it was an after thought for our May trip and then it was too late 

36 minutes ago, sansroof said:

@Deacon22 I was searching the site for Getaway cabana info and this thread came up - first, thanks for your review which is super helpful.  We just booked a cabana for a Getaway sailing in the fall and I was wondering about the cabana assignment / location process.  About how many cabanas are there on the Getaway and are they all in the same general vicinity?  I know they expanded the Vibe area relatively recently and I wasn't sure if that meant the cabanas would be spread out.  Also I assume you get the same cabana for the whole cruise - do they assign you one or do you pick? 

Thank you!

So they assign you a cabana.  The number will be in your room with a welcome package along with two wristbands that we never put on.    There is five cabanas all in a row up against the rail of the ship so you look out directly into the ocean. Yes you get the same one.  We never had an issue with someone else using our cabana.  

12 minutes ago, Deacon22 said:

So they assign you a cabana.  The number will be in your room with a welcome package along with two wristbands that we never put on.    There is five cabanas all in a row up against the rail of the ship so you look out directly into the ocean. Yes you get the same one.  We never had an issue with someone else using our cabana.  

You rock!  Thank you for responding so quickly.  We've never done any kind of Vibe before and now I am really excited to check out the cabana life.  Just wish October weren't so far away!

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
On 3/4/2023 at 9:34 PM, Deacon22 said:

The wings were terrible.  I could’ve dealt with the baked wings if they were cooked at a higher temperature.   They really were brutal.  I think my favorite thing there was the nachos which they didn’t have on the late night menu.  

Guess its true, to each their own.    

On another note, was thinking of trying out the cabanas on the Prima this year but one thing I can't figure out, since its not yet available.

Cost of cabana.    Does the 649 include the 2 person Vibe pass?   Or is it ultimately 500 plus 650 for cabana for 2?

1 minute ago, jethrojam said:

Guess its true, to each their own.    

On another note, was thinking of trying out the cabanas on the Prima this year but one thing I can't figure out, since its not yet available.

Cost of cabana.    Does the 649 include the 2 person Vibe pass?   Or is it ultimately 500 plus 650 for cabana for 2?

If you just get the cabana you automatically get two passes for the Vibe. Vibe is included. 

• Thanks 1