Hard sided vs soft sided luggage

luvs2beachit

On 7/16/2024 at 9:39 PM, harmonymouse said:

My husband noticed the standard hard black plastic wheels are hollow, so rather than wait for them to fail he preemptively took apart the luggage wheel assembly (an easy job; there's probably a YouTube video for that) and replaced all our wheels with inline skate wheels. You wouldn't believe how smoothly they glide now! Every few years they get a wheel inspection, replacing bearings or wheels as needed.

That’s a really brilliant idea.  It must also make it easier to claim your luggage by the unique wheels.

On 7/17/2024 at 8:28 PM, Crew News said:

On other luggage threads, I have posed the same question.  Based on the photo below, would a soft sided suitcase be the best choice to be on the bottom of the luggage transporter?

image.jpeg.805b84c4c9148d87bf2b11870ade93c2.jpeg

Why not, they don’t crack. 

Posted (edited)

For us, the preference is soft sided with with 4 wheels.  We’ve used hard sided but like some others, don’t like that they open in the middle.  Also, we’ve had pieces crack.  The soft sided with waterproofed ballistic nylon are really durable.  When we go on vacation, we enjoy taking things with us and using bigger bags.  I am the one who moves all of the big bags (plus more) through airport etc.   Four wheels really help here and I’m looking forward to adding in-line skate wheels as Harmonymouse suggested to make things roll smoother.  Anyway, to each his own, this is what works for us.

Edited by Airbear232