MSC Virtuosa - European metropolis tour - 19/27 March

LiquidWu

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Thanks for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic!"

LiquidWu was awarded the badge '"Live from...."'

I have received so much information here and read such great, interesting travel reports that I would like to contribute something myself.

With 20+ MSC voyages and 26000 (real, non-matched) Voyagers Club points so far, I have some experience and know what to expect. I'm sure there are several interesting things for you.

I'm starting the European metropolis tour in 19 days. From Hamburg, I'm going to Bruges, Amsterdam, Paris and London. I think these destinations could also be interesting for Americans visiting Europe.

I have also made a few unusual bookings in advance. For example, I'm travelling to Hamburg with my motorhome and have booked a parking space in the harbour next to the ship with MSC. How that will work out will be interesting 🙂

As far as shore excursions are concerned, I'm more the active type and have booked, for example, the e-bike adventure or a ride in an ampibic vehicle. In London, an interactive experience in the footsteps of the legendary Titanic is planned.

I will certainly not take pictures of every menu and every cocktail. We have enough of that here in the forum. But what would interest you? Write me what you would like to read about, then maybe I can find out in advance.

Last but not least, English is only my third language, so please be prepared for lots of spelling mistakes and misunderstandings 😉 I would not consider it rude if you would please point out such problems to me. It would help me to improve.

• Like 1

Hope you have a wonderful cruise.   We embark World Europa on your disembarkation day.  I would be interested in seeing one or two menus (I understand you not wanting to post them all - I’ve done some live reports and it’s not always easy).  I’m expecting the offerings on our cruise to be similar to European menus. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SweetsugarNL said:

I get on Wednesday so I am off when you are on board.

Oh, I'm very happy for you. I wish you a wonderful trip with many great moments.

Keep the ship safe 🤣

On 3/1/2023 at 12:41 PM, Beamafar said:

I would be interested in seeing one or two menus (I understand you not wanting to post them all - I’ve done some live reports and it’s not always easy).  I’m expecting the offerings on our cruise to be similar to European menus. 

Yes, of course, I'm very happy to do that. 
Especially with the bar menus, this could be very interesting to see if the increase in prices for the drinks packages also affects the individual prices.
I also read here that the variety and quality of the food has increased. Hopefully this does not only apply to the American market. I will send the menus in any case.

Hi LiquidWu!

i will be on the Virtuosa a week after you!

looking forward to your report already as I was not on her before.

When you go to the MDR, could you ask for me if a 14 year old HAS to eat from the kids menu or if it is okay if he orders from the normal ‚Adult‘ menu?

Apparently every ship handles that differently… 

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE AND SAVE AND HAPPY TRAVELS TO YOU!!!

15 minutes ago, Itochen33 said:

When you go to the MDR, could you ask for me if a 14 year old HAS to eat from the kids menu or if it is okay if he orders from the normal ‚Adult‘ menu?

Nice to read you here. I'm also reading your current thread with anticipation. How is Cooper today? Take it easy and enjoy the time.

To be on the safe side, I'll ask at MDR, but actually I know that everyone can order all over the place, e.g. 3 different starters and no main course, but dessert from the children's menu, etc.

Greetings from Cologne to Berlin 🙂

Edited by LiquidWu

On 3/3/2023 at 7:03 AM, LiquidWu said:

Yes, of course, I'm very happy to do that. 
Especially with the bar menus, this could be very interesting to see if the increase in prices for the drinks packages also affects the individual prices.
I also read here that the variety and quality of the food has increased. Hopefully this does not only apply to the American market. I will send the menus in any case.

Much appreciated!   Also the bar menus would, indeed, be interesting to see.

Agree about the food offerings - hopefully they have improved.   Though there still seems to be supply issues, so we’ll see. 

I’ve just seen some of the menus that Itochen kindly posted on the menus thread.   Most of the offerings are the same as ever. I would seriously struggle with many of them.  If they’re similar on our sailing I guess I’ll be eating a lot of the time in the buffet. 

4 hours ago, Beamafar said:

I’ve just seen some of the menus that Itochen kindly posted on the menus thread.   Most of the offerings are the same as ever. I would seriously struggle with many of them.  If they’re similar on our sailing I guess I’ll be eating a lot of the time in the buffet. 

On a Facebook group there are new photos from menu and mdr food.

It looks like mediterranen and very good.

• Thanks 1

There are only 10 days left until departure and I am just finishing the last things. Tomorrow I can pick up my fancy clothes from the dry cleaners, gala night here I come 🙂

It is now also high time to book the planned shore excursions with online discount. I'll use this opportunity to present them to you in the next few posts.

SOUTHAMPTON TITANIC TRAIL

Discover Southampton's historic buildings and its links with the legendary RMS Titanic on this fascinating walking tour. The Titanic pulled away from the White Star dock in Southampton for the start of her maiden voyage on 10th April 1912. Five days later in the early hours of 15th April she sank after striking an iceberg. The disaster made headlines across the world and had a devastating effect on the people of Southampton. Of the 724 crew which lived within in the area - only 175 returned home. Your interesting walking tour commences from the pier. A leisurely stroll will take you through Queen's Park and past the luxury flats which used to be the old South Western Hotel. This hotel was the accommodation for First-Class passengers before embarking on the majestic liner. Close by are the old White Star offices where Southampton residents gathered in the hundreds, waiting day after day for news of loved ones. A walk along Oxford Street will take you past some of the drinking establishments enjoyed by the ill-fated crew including The Grapes pub, which is where filming took place for the famous "Titanic" movie. At the end of the street are the ruins of Holyrood Church where a memorial to the Titanic crew stands. As you wander past the ancient Southampton walls and through the main shopping precinct, with its eclectic mix of shops, you'll hear poignant tales of the Titanic heroes and survivors. The highlight of the tour is a visit to SeaCity Museum. This interactive Museum is filled with information and interesting memorabilia of the fateful disaster and illustrates the impact the liner has had on the city.

SOU42.webp

BRUGES AND BLANKENBERGE E-BIKE EXPERIENCE
Explore the town of Bruges and the surrounding countryside the same way the locals do: on a pedelec electrically assisted bike. It's the fastest way to get around because it means you can travel both ways along one-way streets. And for visitors, it's the best way to squeeze in as many of the city's sights as possible. On your scenic ride through the Flemish countryside towards Bruges, you can admire the beach of Blankenberge and the Lissewege village. Once you arrive in the historic centre of Bruges, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, you'll enjoy cycling through the narrow streets past numerous sights, from the Church of Our Lady with its brick belfry to Saint Salvator's Cathedral and the Basilica of the Holy Blood. Enjoy a long break at the marketplace, which you are free to browse to your heart's content before the ride back to the ship.

ZEEBK2.webp

LE HAVRE WALKING TOUR

Originally founded in the early 16th century, then largely rebuilt in concrete by the architectural firm of Auguste Perret after WWII, the mostly modern cityscape of the port of Le Havre - a UNESCO World Heritage Site - is your destination on this tour. A short shuttle bus transfer will see you reach the city centre, from where your walking tour will begin. Among the key landmarks on the itinerary are the town hall, Saint-Roch gardens, Avenue Foch, the Church of Saint-Joseph, to name but a few. Once your guided stroll has come to a close, you can choose either to return straight to the ship with your guide or stay put for further exploration, catching a shuttle bus back to the ship when you are ready.

HAV20.webp

SPLASHTOUR & EUROMAST EXPERIENCE

This one-of-a-kind excursion is all about having fun, splashing in the water and reaching for the sky. A short drive takes you to the departure point for the day's first experience. Lasting about an hour in total, the Splashtour will first take you on a coach tour around the most exceptional and beautiful places in Rotterdam. Then comes the "splash" itself: suddenly the coach turns into a seaworthy vessel, makes a spectacular dive into the water, and sails off down the Maas River, offering spectacular views of the city skyline! After this memorable experience, it's time to walk to the Euromast. The crow's nest observation platform 96 metres up is the place to be if you want to feel like the king of the world, take striking selfies, stare into the distance, and share a truly unique side of Rotterdam with your friends and family. You can't help loving the view. After this spectacular highlight, the tour ends with the drive back to the ship.

RTM31.webp

So much for the shore excursions I chose. But such things are very subjective. Therefore, as a last piece of advance information on the shore excursions, here are PDFs with all the available excursions. 

I hope you enjoy browsing through this material as much as I do 🙂

MSC Bruges.pdf MSC Hamburg.pdf MSC LeHavre.pdf MSC Rotterdam.pdf MSC Southampton.pdf

Now there are only 6 days left. I am so happy.

But I also have a serious decision to make that you don't read much about here. I now have to name a contact person for emergency situations.
Of course it will be one of my loved ones, probably my sister. But is that fair to put such a burden on someone? Wouldn't it be a better idea to be able to make a living will of one's own free will? I think the shipping companies should provide an upload for this as an alternative.
What do you think about this? Do you appoint a professional person of trust (e.g. a notary) for this or do you also burden your family with it?
None of this used to bother me, but at a certain age you start thinking about it. Especially when you are far from home in countries with completely different legal systems.

So my honest question is, how do you handle this?

I will also hide a few CruiseDucks 🙂

I lack artistic talent, but this tag will serve its purpose and bring joy to (young) fellow travellers.

cruiseduck.png

Edited by LiquidWu

Speaking of selection:
MSC Virtuosa prints newspapers from 19 countries on board. Among them are exotic ones like Russia, China, or even Saudi Arabia.

I have made screenshots of the offers from the UK and the USA. If someone wants to see more countries, please just ask 🙂

20230317_085622.jpg

20230317_085656.jpg

Edited by LiquidWu

Guys, we're live here now. I've been on board for 2 hours and (almost) everything is developing fantastically. Is it possible to adjust the topic with a reference to the LIVE status?

I had been assigned a late check-in time, but I know my MSC 😉 I love the Mediterranean relaxedness instead of the German punctuality (at least in this point 🙂 ) I left in the middle of the night, which was no problem, I could not sleep anyway with anticipation. 
20230319_051113.thumb.jpg.987eb71b822a0c4f39931d2b1f257b32.jpg

Whenever you are in Germany, be sure to rent a car and enjoy the German Autobahns. Thanks to the unlimited speed in many places, I was at the port in a few hours.

20230319_055615.thumb.jpg.38ae1a612d5e87c9cdcbc155246070e1.jpg

Nevertheless, the ship was already there before me. Here I have seen it for the first time from a distance

20230319_090359.jpg

Parking was also no problem at all. The cars are parked directly in front of the ship 🙂 I went up to deck 19 for you to show you this:

20230319_110817.thumb.jpg.1306cef2c9f768ef136c553937f339b1.jpg

I'll continue with my impressions of the check in, see you soon 🙂

Edited by LiquidWu

On 17.3.2023 at 10.04, LiquidWu said:

Valikoinnista puheen ollen:
MSC Virtuosa tulostaa laivalla sanomalehtiä 19 maasta. Niiden joukossa on eksoottisia, kuten Venäjä, Kiina tai jopa Saudi-Arabia.

Olen tehnyt kuvakaappauksia Iso-Britannian ja USA:n tarjouksista. Jos joku haluaa nähdä lisää maita, niin kysy 🙂

20230317_085622.jpg

20230317_085656.jpg

Any spanish or finnish newspapers? 😉