Pinnacle Class - Any noise above the Grand Dutch Cafe?

Iamthesea

I am looking at a stateroom, on Deck 4, directly above the GDC and/or Guest Services.  Anyone have experience with staterooms in this area?  Worried about noise and smells.  The stateroom is also just outside of the midship elevator banks, but I do not believe that to be a problem based on past experiences being near elevator banks on other cruise lines.

OK, since no reply, I have a different question. 😊 

I now see that there are staterooms, in the category I am interested in, that are available on higher decks.  These are cushioned between other stateroom decks, so no worried about noise from below or above.  However, staterooms are still near the elevators.  Has anyone stayed near the elevators and is there noise?  Thank you!

My guess is there would not be an extraordinary noise being above the Dutch Cafe on Deck 4 - it is a quiet venue.  But think about how much closer you will be to get a quick snack.

You are correct, the best cabin choices for "quiet" as often recommended are those between two floors of other cabins, but for the most part all our cabins in lots of different places on various ships have been decently quiet.  Some chair scraping when under the Lido, but minor. Not as noisy as anticipated at all.

Only once where we did we get a cabin was right over the Ocean Bar on an older ship, the Madam - and that was very loud until closing time. However, we were lucky to get moved to a much quieter floor after the first day. However, I now do pay close attention to other reports and learned even being under the ping-pong table made one Neptune Suite an unhappy experience. HalFacts website offers candid passenger cabin reports, and is always good to search before making a choice.

Additionally, being close to the elevators has never caused noise problems either. Cabin design puts the bathroom and the closet as a buffer between any corridor or elevator noise. Cabins directly under the main galley area seem to get the most complaints, or near food service clean up areas and crew stairwells (inside cabins) - esp early in the morning but not sure the newer ships have this issue any longer.  And those over/under the  main stage area.

Actually, I found the often coveted aft verandah cabins the noisiest when going outside on the verandah -the sound of the wake can be very intense and constant. Some find it soothing, other find it a bit overwhelming. The views do make up for the constant wake noise. 

We were recently on the 4th Deck - Konigsdam and were happy to find our cabin had a very nicely extended balcony space - not totally private since it could be viewed partially from some of the higher decks, but very spacious and highly usable.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Iamthesea said:

Thank you so much!!!

We spent 16 days (back to back) in 4100 on the K'dam. It was the only mini-suite that was bookable for both legs, at the time. Alignment of the elevators on the deck plans made it above the Future Cruise desk, but that is next to Front Desk. It was very quiet AND convenient to the stairwell to the Dutch Cafe, and elevators to upper decks. 

• Like 2

No fan of the larger, newer ships being an Old Curmudgeon myself, but one extra complaint about our recent Konigsdam cruise was it was fundamentally ...........too quiet.

No ship noise, vibrations or any sense one was even moving and not in a land based hotel. How is that for a "complaint"?  

(Excluding Music Walk of course, and  the piped-in music - grumble, grumble, grumble)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

10 hours ago, Iamthesea said:

I am looking at a stateroom, on Deck 4, directly above the GDC and/or Guest Services.  Anyone have experience with staterooms in this area?  Worried about noise and smells.  The stateroom is also just outside of the midship elevator banks, but I do not believe that to be a problem based on past experiences being near elevator banks on other cruise lines.

We were right above the Dutch Cafe onboard the Koningsdam, for 25 days. Never heard or noticed any noise. As others have said very convenient to get a cookie or a bowl of Dutch Pea soup. Would not hesitate to book there again as we enjoyed the location.

• Thanks 1