calling and texting iphone users

Fayecruises

I was on a Princess cruise in January and their wifi was great  I could call or text my daughter who had an iphone like I do for free as long as I was connected to their wifi    Does anyone know if this is true on Oceania   (will be on Riviera next week)

\

8 minutes ago, Fayecruises said:

I was on a Princess cruise in January and their wifi was great  I could call or text my daughter who had an iphone like I do for free as long as I was connected to their wifi    Does anyone know if this is true on Oceania   (will be on Riviera next week)

\

You will be able to send IMessages and call with Face Time and WatsApp.

We have T Mobile and iPhones.  When I am on the Wi-Fi, I have no problem texting and FaceTiming with family in the US from anywhere I have been in the world. That is my reality but do not know if that is like your Princess experience. 
Mauibabes

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fayecruises said:

i see  so it is different then what I did on Princess    thanks

It may or may not be different at all. If your were connected to the internet on Princess, your iPhone most likely used Apple's iMessage service to send 'texts' to your daughter. (Apple devices default to iMessage whenever possible - and all you need is an internet connection).

For calling, if your cell provider permits WiFi calling, and it was activated, then you would have been using that function to call - also through the Princess internet.

If those were the two ways you were actually using to message and call, then it will be the same on Riviera once connected to the internet. 🍺🥌

8 hours ago, Fayecruises said:

i see  so it is different then what I did on Princess    thanks

The only difference is when you activate the WiFi calling on your phone, but you not necessary have to do it as you stated that both you and your daughter have iPhones.