Does Cunard USA know anything? Or care?

joeinsb

Just returned from the 11-day QM2 cruise to Hawaii, which was teriffic! What a great ship and a perfect itinerary for someone who loves Hawaii as we do.

But...

Despite booking our cruise 13 months ago and asking for a table for two at the early seating, we were assigned to a six-person table on the lowest level of the three-tiered balcony (deck 3), looking down onto the main dining room. Upon learning this we immediately went to see the Maitre d', who put our name on a list and told us to check at 6 p.m. when the dining room opened. At the appointed hour, we were informed that there were no openings, but that they could seat us at 8:30. We declined and since it was the first night had the table to ourselves. On the second night, a lady and her mother, both Canadians and very nice folks, joined us, so things were going well. However, on the next night we arrived to find another couple sitting in our seats. The woman explained that they hadn't been there before because hubby told the ship's medics that he had an upset stomach, so they quaranteened him just to be sure he didn't have norovirus! When I heard that, I rushed up to the maitre d' and insisted on another table--a very fine one near a window--but only for that night. The next evening, and for the duration of the cruise, we were joined by the couple in question, who turned much of our dining experience into something akin to a root canal. Thank God for Todd English, where we sought refuge one night.

Also, before the cruise my wife called Cunard in Valencia several times and asked how many formal nights there would be. "Two," was the reply. "Because Californians are such casual people."

Guess what? No sooner had we stepped on board when we learned there would be four formal nights, as is Cunard's custom on longer cruises. My wife was furious, because she had left many of her finery behind. To top it off, a lady at the purser's desk told my wife she could buy more clothes at the shops on board. "That's not the point," said my wife. "I have plenty of clothes at home!"

So my question is, does anyone know anything at Cunard in Valencia?

And how can you fill a room with diners without honoring a request made more than a year before your cruise?!

So my question is, does anyone know anything at Cunard in Valencia? And how can you fill a room with diners without honoring a request made more than a year before your cruise?!

First, I am glad you enjoyed the ship and the cruise as there is so much good about Queen Mary 2. The answer to your question is simple: Nothing! Cunard reservations in Valencia know nothing about the ships and rely on generic and canned information. There is no connection between the information (misinformation) they provide in Valencia and what is actually practiced aboard the ships. On my last Queen Mary 2 cruise, for example, we were a group of 8 and all of our reservations had been linked so that the dining room request to be seated at a table for 8 could be honored. My S.O. and I were at one table, 2 couples at another table for 4 and the other 2 were at a table for 8! Totally scattered! Brandishing copies of my documents with confirmations and prepared to do battle, straight to the maitre d' I went and had it changed to an 8. But your point is correct... you took the trouble to do it well in advance. Cunard reservations are good at taking the credit card, and their PR/marketing machine does the rest to create the illusion. As to your table mates, I dread that. Thank God you found Todd English which gives new meaning to the term alternative dining! I am traveling solo on the QE2 world cruise next year and being seated at a table for 8 is my only worry. Be well & keep cruising!;)

Despite booking our cruise 13 months ago and asking for a table for two at the early seating, we were assigned to a six-person table...

Glad that you enjoyed your cruise depsite the problems with the seating and the misinformation. Our experiences have been that when booking almost anything (not just cruises), because the booking usually goes through so many hands, it is easy for a mistype to occur at some stage. On our next cruise, we will be a party of 6, and requested a table accordingly. However, when the Cunard confirmation paperwork arrived, it only showed a table for four! The original TA paperwork had been correct, but somewhere it was changed. We spotted this error and have had it corrected. I assume that your Cunard confirmation paperwork did show a table for two? Of course with the table requestes, they always add the proviso about they will "try to fufill requests, but they cannot be guaranteed". When booking far in advance, Cunard (and others) really ought to be able to confirm the request. I assume that they always rely on a certain number of people dropping out of the booking at the last minute, and thus only work out the table allocations very late, otherwise they would be constantly be re-arranging everything. However, surely, they should still give priority to long standing bookings. I presume that when the table allocation is carried out, only numbers and requests are available, and not when the booking was made!

Re the formal dresses etc, at least you had something to wear. When on the QM2 last year, one couple who flew out to the US on our flight lost their main luggage. Apparently it went on completely the wrong flight, and they only caught up with it at the end of the cruise!

Phileas

Who is re-checking all the details on the Cunard confirmation paperwork yet again and hoping we get what it says!;)

What a great ship and a perfect itinerary for someone who loves Hawaii as we do....Despite booking our cruise 13 months ago and asking for a table for two at the early seating, we were assigned to a six-person table ...However, on the next night we arrived to find another couple sitting in our seats...who turned much of our dining experience into something akin to a root canal.

Delighted you enjoyed the QM2, and sorry that you had trouble with your table assignment. These on the QM2 appear to be a problem - on each of 4 QE2 voyages I've got pretty close or exactly what I wanted - on the QM2 they got it completely wrong.....but it was sort of fixed in the end.....If the couple who were sitting at your table (but not in your seats - you are assigned a table, not a seat - mixing it up each meal can be fun) were such pains, why not move? Cunard are not responsible for your table companions!

Peter

I also just got back from QM2. I had a grand time. My cabin stewardess Recel was wonderful. Our waiters in Britannia Larry and "Abel" were really top noch. So was my waiter Hansel on two occasions in Todd English. As well as "Sheryl" the waitress in Lotus.

All of the food from "Boardwalk Cafe" , Room Service, Britannia, Todd English, Etc. was great. The ship is truly gand but that goes without saying. Also great lectures by Bill Miller in Royal Theatre and John Butler in the Illuminations. :)

However the small imperfections....:(

I had origianlly wanted a table for 6 but let my T.A. talk me into including a "Great guy" and his parents making it a table for 8. I was traveling with a party of 5 within a large group. This "Great Guy" opted out of our table and offended my friends before I could make it to the table @ 6:10 on departure night. So then it was luck of the draw. We had the table to ourselves for a few nights, then a nice couple was added. In the middle of the cruise, on a port night a daughter and mother combo was added to our already table of 7 making it a table for 9, when I told the area matre 'D that we still had two friends that were not there yet, he added a chair making it a table for 9. My friends did not show up that night But I really should have protested the table being made into a 9. This marred my Britannia Experiance. Also the waiters and Matre' D seemed confused because people were not there on port nights and the night my group went to Todd English ( 2nd night of the cruise). The Matre' D asked if I was happy in front of the two late added women which was awkward. We ended up using the alternitives more than I would have beacuse making small talk with complete strangers is too much like work for me. Too late in the cruise he did offer to move us to another table. I do have to admit that I was conflicted about loosing a great table. (location)The late comers should have to move !!! :D

Then the Clothes issue. We went out and purchased more nice casual because I too had called Cunard. How is it that the shore does not know what the ship is doing ????:mad: Not a big thing beacuse I have to dress like a penguin for work anyway, but I being Califorian going to HaWaii thought that having four formal nights was too many.

I have decided not to use the T.A. again because of her pawning off a pain in the A** as a nice guy and will next time try and e-mail the purser on the ship to get the actual dress code. Cruise and learn I say...

But I did have a great cruise and will be back. But I am starting to see the value of how other cruise lines do things, i.e. freestlye cruising etc.

Tom in Long Beach.

We were suppose to have 3 tables "linked" together for our large group. We called the Cunard office to make sure. Upon seating time it was discovered that we were all on different levels. One downstairs, one upstairs and one upstairs higher tier across the room. With the ship sold out and it being seating time the MD couldnt make a change. We should have gone in earlier to double check when a change could have been made. Live and learn.

Also, All our brochures told us 2 formal nights on our 3 day cruise..one a Masquerade Ball and one a Captains Night. Once on the ship we discovered the Masquerade Ball was cancelled. Some people were upset that they had spent some $$$ on fancy masquerade masks. I had spent $$$ on a formal attire that I didnt wear. Thats ok. I will save it for our next cruise.

It is very discouraging and dissappointing when you call to verify correctness and then find out that you didnt get what you expected.

From all the positive things I have read about other cruise destintion trips on this ship, I think the west coast office just wasnt prepared for this trip. We had a myriad of problems that I wont rehash. I hope they read these boards so they know where they falter and need to improve.

2moose: glad to hear it is not just BRITANNIA. next trip will request smaller table but will come armed with some $20.00 & $ 50.00 just in case. My sig. other hates when I throw around cash, But often that gets the job done.

I think I must have just been tired from too much tropic sun when our table got overun... usually I think quicker than that. This did happen mid cruise. I usually am more ready for a fight on the first night.

How much usually gets you the table you want when it comes to that?

I have found that when I make an effort to be patient and understanding, the people in California are very helpful and efficient. They do make mistakes sometimes, but that's life.

On board, no complaints. The staff have a lot of work, and they are generally very gracious.

The Maitre D will deal with seating before you board. Of course he will look at your requests.

But he will almost certainly have agreements made on previous cruises, and those tables are then fixed. He'll also have regulars who have regular tables, and he'll sort those people out.

He's got to try and make big tables up out of those who aren't quite obviously going to hate each other - difficult when he's not met them.

It's hardly surprising that things go wrong, from your point of view. But there is no way of making everyone happy.

2moose: glad to hear it is not just BRITANNIA. next trip will request smaller table but will come armed with some $20.00 & $ 50.00 just in case. My sig. other hates when I throw around cash, But often that gets the job done.

I think I must have just been tired from too much tropic sun when our table got overun... usually I think quicker than that. This did happen mid cruise. I usually am more ready for a fight on the first night.

How much usually gets you the table you want when it comes to that?

now your talking!!!!

Hmm, tip the Maitre d'... What a novel idea! Now it all becomes clear. When the deck 3 MD conspicuously wrote my name at the top of his yellow legal pad and said we were first in line, I should have slipped him that Jackson and told him to make sure he remembered. Guess I'll have to change my m.o. Even though I have not engaged in this practice (bribery) with MDs on other cruise lines, who, by the way, have treated us royally.

Something you should know--

At lunch on deck 2 at a great table for two, I mentioned my situation to Michael, who I believe was the chief sommelier, suggested we talk to the downstairs MD who Micheal said, would be glad to help us. Unfortunately, we felt bad about abandoning our two nice tablemates (the Canadian ladies) so we declined, which brought an, "As you wish" from Mike who probably thought we were nuts.

On another note, after the monday Cruise Critics meeting, we never saw much of most of you except for Jerry (Stanfurd) and Jeff. But then, it's a big ship.

On another note, after the monday Cruise Critics meeting, we never saw much of most of you except for Jerry (Stanfurd) and Jeff. But then, it's a big ship.

Hi Joe, I too was amazed at how little we saw of each other after the first meeting. I saw Colleen a couple of hours after the second meeting which I had somehow missed in the programme - apologies to all. We saw Jasmine and Amanda just about everywhere and met Chris and Shawn at one of the parties but that was it. Where were you all hiding?

This is probably where you all say that I walked passed you in the corridors and didn't recognise or ignored you. If so, more apologies.

Regards, Colin.

Hello All

My partner and I have been on the QM2 three times. Each time the booking has been made at least 6 months (in one case, 13 months) in advance. Each time we have been in the Britannia dining room. Each time we have asked for a round table for 6. Each time we have been given anything but a round table for 6. Each time, just after boat drill, I have had to spend half an hour or so in the queue of irritated passengers dealing with the icily arrogant and supercilious maitre d'. Letters to Cunard on this point receive replies bleeting on about how hard it is to match people to tables. Yet this NEVER happens to us in any other ship, only on the QM2. I must admit, I have never used a $20 bill to get my desired table. Maybe next time.

However, other than this incompetent and irritating table allocating, we have always enjoyed ourselves on board and have booked (maybe foolishly!) for a leg of her 2007 World Cruise.

mg17uk

QE2 (2002, 2003, 2004, 2005)

Caronia (2003, 2004)

QM2 (2005, 2006)

Marco Polo (2003, 2004, 2005)

Statendam (2004)

Millennium (2005)

Hi,

I've been on the QM2 three times. Each time I've given my travel agent my preferences for dining. Each time I've been assigned exactly the kind of dining arrangement I asked for. Maybe you should leave the details to an experienced travel agent rather than trying to do it yourself. They know who to contact and how to do it and, probably, how to make sure it gets done right! Just my opinion.

David

Hi David

You must be lucky! I use the same travel agent for all my Cunard cruises and he is as baffled as I am as to why QE2 and Caronia are fine whereas QM2 is always so difficult. And he's one of Cunard's favoured agents! I got the distinct impression from the QM2 maitre d' that seating was done at random or, at best, in a very slipshod manner and that passengers should be grateful they had their desired sitting and not be so unappreciative as to ask for what they had originally booked. The only place I've seen arguments escalate into very heated exchanges and then nearly degenerate into fights on a cruise ship is the queue for changing table allocations on the QM2.

However, I'll ask my TA to remind Cunard again of my request before joining the QM2 next year.

mg17uk

Hi Joe,

To get back to the original question:- "does anyone know anything at Cunard in Valencia?" I guess the answer is NO!

The good news is that Ft Lauderdale and Southampton were no better and London and New York, before that, only marginally so. With the exception of one specific individual we've never had any satisfaction in dealing with Cunard's shoreside operatons.

We've never had a problem with table bookings though. We normally request an eight and OK we once got a nine this time a seven, but I don't consider that a problem. I guess we've been lucky.

Regards, Colin.

MG, thanks for validating our experience. We are not whinges and enjoy cruising immensely. We also had a memorable time aboard QM2 and will probably cruise on her again someday. She is unique.

But the dining room fiasco is unforgiveable. We didn't just walk in unannounced. Rather we booked with Cunard in Valencia and spoke to them several times on different topics (including the number of formal nights, which they totally blew!). So it's not as there was some disconnect on our part.

I agree, the maitre 'd, at least the guy on deck 3, was an arrogant snot, as was his mate. When we were in the queque during lunch, trying to see if there had been any progress in our booking, a couple of 30-something Yanks (as are we) rudely walked right to the head of the podium and began conversing with the MD. I said, "Better take care of them straightaway, they're wearing a Rolex." At this point the Asst MD snapped, "Sir, I don't judge people by their watches. They were here earlier and were just coming back."

Maybe so. But if I were an MD I wouldn't be so snotty. And if I were cutting in line I would have explained why I was doing so. But this is so typical of people today. Especially, high-earning Yanks who think that their (insert suitable vulgar expression here).

One more thing. With birthdays being celebrated all-round, and since we told Cunard, couldn't they have scrounged up a cake for me?

As for travel agents, we have worked through some in the past and other than the fact that they gave us a bottle of champagne or an on-board wine credit, I don't see what insight they had into getting us the right booking. We begin each cruise with a deck plan, from which we select a cabin--usually a balcony located on a top deck. So if the ship is wide open occupancy-wise, there should be no mystery here.

Concerning dinning room bookings: I suspect it's what one of you said: there is no rhyme or reason to it. They just throw all the names in the hat, give them to the MD and let the chips fall where they may. On the other hand, we have had great treatment on Star and Diamond Princess, Westerdam and Celebrity Infinity, not to mention Crystal Symphony and Seven Seas Mariner. So please don't tell me that it can't be done--especially on Cunard.

By the way, paper towels in the public restrooms, when every other cruise line (HAL, Celebrity, Radisson, etc) offers cloth towels? Pretty cheesy. And this from Cunard? Hah!

• 4 weeks later...

After reading many of the threads here, I find that we are not alone....Cunard reps really don't know the answers to the "most often asked questions."

We had 4 answers to the formal night query. We're doing a TA and the first phone call said there were 4 formal nights. Then postings here said 3 formal nights. Our docs came from Cunard and said 2 formal nights. So...on to the phone where they said that their docs couldn't be wrong, of course there were 3 formal nights and on what page did ours say 2. I don't know if they ever apoligized since they were wrong.

Then the transfer situation: We are doing our own air. RT from Heathrow to Chicago (with the return to Heathrow for our fall TA on Mille). Of course, Cunard PR says that if you take their transfers, you can't fly out of Heathrow before 1 pm. Since I saw on these boards that the times may be different due to the pod thing, my husband called. Finally, after much runaround, he was told that we need to take a flight no earlier than 3:30 PM. No problem since the flight we wanted was at 3:40.

The other day they called our travel agent to say that "their system" kicked out our transers based on our 3:40 flight. Well, now they are saying that the 3:30 time is for domestic flights and it must be 4:00 for international. Now, we're both very frequent flyers and use the fast lanes where ever available. That also includes Heathrow. So, I'm not too worried about needing 2+ hours to get through all the processing. Of course, we can't change our air without penalities and losing our upgraded seats. They suggested that we tell the purser that we need to be off first and on the first bus to Heathrow.

I'm not concerned about making the flight. I'm sure we will. But the question was asked of Cunard USA by a passenger calling from the US. If there was a difference of timing, shouldn't they have mentioned it? I guess Carnival has taken it's toll.

So, flyer beware. Make sure they, and you, understand the timing of your flights before you book them.

Archived