Bon Bini festival information

CaroleSS

We will be in Aruba and are interested in going to the Bon Bini Festival. (Yes, we will be there on a Tuesday)

The website mentions "local food" being available, but isn't very specific. Does anyone know what types of food is available? Could we make dinner out of tasting the offerings or should we eat before going. Any idea on the prices of the food?

I'm a tad concerned that we'd have to eat dinner around 5 to be at the fort by 6 (6:30-ish) so we can get situated and ready for the show.

Also, are beverages available? Are we allowed to bring food/liquids into the show area?

• 4 weeks later...

We plan to go to the Bon Bini Festival when we are there in two weeks.  We have My Time Dining which doesn't start until 6:45 on our cruise, so we'll miss dinner onboard and thought we would just get something from one of the other venues around 5.  Our friend sailing with us doesn't get back from his excursion until 6 PM and I wanted to leave the ship no later than 6:15 (doors open at 6 PM and I don't want to have to "run" to get there).  In fact, I told him it's probably best if he doesn't come back on the ship and we just meet him off ship to go.  

If you have already sailed, what did you find out about the food situation?  If you haven't sailed, I'll report back on what we discover.  Also, if you've already been, can you tell me which route you took walking and how it was street-light-wise?  Google maps gives me a few options but it's a little hard to tell what's the best way to get there.

• Like 1

We don't sail until the end of May, so haven't been, so any information would be greatly appreciated!

If we can't make dinner out of the offerings, we thought we would eat at Iguana Joe's or Cuba's Cookin' - depending upon which pier we dock, but I am guessing we will be at the one nearest the mall, so likely Cuba's Cookin. We would have to eat VERY early for both (or just eat at the OVC, but I've heard they are cutting back on the dinner offerings). 

Regarding walking back, if the pier is the furthest, there looks to be the Linear Park Trail along the water, which I would "assume" is well lit and relatively safe (especially since there will be lots of people walking back to the ship afterwards).

If anyone else has information, please let us know! TIA!

• 3 weeks later...

Reporting back that we did go to the Bon Bini Festival on Tuesday, April 11th.  We were docked at the pier/berth by the cruise terminal building.  We walked along L. G. Smith Blvd which was well lit and had quite a bit of foot traffic down to Oranjestad Street and then up a block to the Museo Historico Aruba.  We could hear the music of the pre-show from down the street so we knew we were in the right direction.  The cost was $15 US/person.  The seating is in a courtyard in plastic chairs.  They have a food counter that served local hot food and drinks.  There are clean restrooms at the facility just off the courtyard.  The show started around 7 and finished at 8:30.  It took us about 20 minutes from the time we were ready to leave the ship until we got to the venue, and same getting back.  We didn't hurry as it was hot and we had time.  You could bring in water bottles and probably anything else... we didn't see anything to discourage it, but of course they want to sell their food and beverages.  

The show tells some of the history of Aruba and highlights some of the significant events in their history along with interpretive dance and poetry, some traditional dancing and costumes, and a big loud brass and drum finale!  One of the performers has been with the Festival since he was 6 years old and he's now in his 30s.  

I would definitely recommend this as an option for anyone who is in Aruba on a Tuesday night with a later sailing time.  You could leave early to make it back - our all aboard was 10:30 and we were on board and getting cold drinks at the Pool Bar by 9 PM.

Let me know if you have any questions and I'll try to answer them.

2 hours ago, CaroleSS said:

Thank you @nzdisneymom for the update!

a few quick questions:

How much were the food offering? (a range perhaps?) 

Could you make a "grazing dinner" out of them or should we eat beforehand?

Seems like the items were in the $8-$12 range.  I probably wouldn't go starving, but if you're wanting to experience some local cuisine, this would be a good way to try.  I have food allergy so I didn't want to risk anything, so we were able to eat at the cruise ship's buffet before going to the show.  I didn't get a picture of the sign with their offerings.

• 3 weeks later...

Just a follow-up, not that it is relevant, but closing the loop as they say.

our port times have changed. We are now scheduled to depart at 9pm with an 8:30 "all aboard". Given the new time and walking distance, I'd rather not risk not making it back to the ship in time, so we will have to skip the festival.....boo!

Guess that just gives us a reason to return another time, huh?