How and when to call for upgrade offers?

Hllb

I've seen reference to calling and asking about upgrade offers for your cruise, particularly for those who booked through a TA as the TA may either not receive such offers, or not pass them on. When should you do this, and how do you do it?

That thread is worth reading through, but it boils down to:

888-628-8107 (inside the US)

206-626-7381 (outside the US)

1) have credit card ready

2) have deck plan ready

3) be ready to make a decision now (others are waiting on the line and no dilly dallying)

4) understand that if you do not take the offer because you want to talk it over with the spouse and then you call back in 10 minutes the offer may not be available and you should not be mad at HAL.

I like to hit up one of the big box travel agents websites and see what rooms are available and have an idea of what I want before I call, that way it can all go fast. It can also tell you if you should not bother, if you are looking for a suite or something, you know they are all gone.

We are leaving on 3/11 and received an offer on 2/3, to give you an idea on the timeline.

Edited by five.
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, five. said:

That thread is worth reading through, but it boils down to:

888-628-8107 (inside the US)

206-626-7381 (outside the US)

1) have credit card ready

2) have deck plan ready

3) be ready to make a decision now (others are waiting on the line and no dilly dallying)

4) understand that if you do not take the offer because you want to talk it over with the spouse and then you call back in 10 minutes the offer may not be available and you should not be mad at HAL.

I like to hit up one of the big box travel agents websites and see what rooms are available and have an idea of what I want before I call, that way it can all go fast. It can also tell you if you should not bother, if you are looking for a suite or something, you know they are all gone.

We are leaving on 3/11 and received an offer on 2/3, to give you an idea on the timeline.

Thanks for consolidating that! I had read through about half that thread so far LOL.

We have two cabins, one interior and one balcony, and if the right price came along, might want to upgrade to either two balconies, or upgrade one of the cabins to a signature suite. Which cabin doesn't really matter to us, though the inside only has 2 ppl and the balcony has 3.

Do they adjust the offers based on the number of people? I know they price them per person, so if there are 3, that means it would be more expensive than if there were only 2? Or would the cost pp, likely be less for the cabin of 3, as they really just have a set price and assign it to the number of people booked?

1 hour ago, Hllb said:

Thanks for consolidating that! I had read through about half that thread so far LOL.

We have two cabins, one interior and one balcony, and if the right price came along, might want to upgrade to either two balconies, or upgrade one of the cabins to a signature suite. Which cabin doesn't really matter to us, though the inside only has 2 ppl and the balcony has 3.

Do they adjust the offers based on the number of people? I know they price them per person, so if there are 3, that means it would be more expensive than if there were only 2? Or would the cost pp, likely be less for the cabin of 3, as they really just have a set price and assign it to the number of people booked?

I believe the upsell is based on double occupancy, so if there is three, only 2 would pay (or you could split it between the 3 of you yourselves)

3 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I believe the upsell is based on double occupancy, so if there is three, only 2 would pay (or you could split it between the 3 of you yourselves)

Ah, thanks. We're all one family so I'm paying either way LOL. But I wondered when people posted their example rates, like $299 pp, would that be X3 for our balcony cabin. Seems like it would only be X2. I am watching sales too for the possibility of just upgrading that way, but haven't seen anything yet. I just got back from Dublin and spent less than I had planned so have a little extra money floating around.

6 minutes ago, Hllb said:

Ah, thanks. We're all one family so I'm paying either way LOL. But I wondered when people posted their example rates, like $299 pp, would that be X3 for our balcony cabin. Seems like it would only be X2. I am watching sales too for the possibility of just upgrading that way, but haven't seen anything yet. I just got back from Dublin and spent less than I had planned so have a little extra money floating around.

I'd be shocked if it was any more than 2X.  Good luck!

1 hour ago, Hllb said:

Here is a copy of an offer.  I’ve circled where it says the price is only for the first and second person in a room.

541AD910-8E74-474F-B7E4-C572BE5FA229.thumb.jpeg.ba7eee450acbbb9f44e041efbab5c327.jpeg

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

Here is a copy of an offer.  I’ve circled where it says the price is only for the first and second person in a room.

541AD910-8E74-474F-B7E4-C572BE5FA229.thumb.jpeg.ba7eee450acbbb9f44e041efbab5c327.jpeg

Perfect, thanks!

• Like 1