Iona Norwegian Fjords in May

Just now, Kittyonions said:

Just be aware that if you are a keen photographer the open decks on Iona do not lend themselves to get the best pictures ( due to the high protective screens, presumably to provide shelter from wind) . We ended up balanced on the top of one of the hot tubs, luckily no worry of swell or rolling in the fjords. If you have a balcony cabin, that is the best place to get pictures, but obviously only one side on way in, and repeat on the way out!

The deck 8 promenade has lower railing on the bulging bits by the atrium, also lower railing on the aft pool areas

10 hours ago, Kittyonions said:

Just be aware that if you are a keen photographer the open decks on Iona do not lend themselves to get the best pictures ( due to the high protective screens, presumably to provide shelter from wind) . We ended up balanced on the top of one of the hot tubs, luckily no worry of swell or rolling in the fjords. If you have a balcony cabin, that is the best place to get pictures, but obviously only one side on way in, and repeat on the way out!

Lol 

Had the same problem on Arvia in the Caribbean

Was having to take photos in the small gap in the middle between the top and bottom protective screens

I assumed they were there to stop you falling over the side!

It's pretty impossible to do that on these ships now

• Like 1

On 3/8/2023 at 11:38 PM, terrierjohn said:

Aidanova, also excellence class, is due in Bergen this year, so clearly Iona could also use this port, if Carnival wanted her to.

Apparently there must be some difference as it has been stated that Iona will not get under the bridge.

31 minutes ago, Yorkypete said:

Apparently there must be some difference as it has been stated that Iona will not get under the bridge.

I very much doubt there will any significant difference in overall height of the 2 ships, especially as both were built by MW at Papenburg.

On 3/10/2023 at 1:00 PM, terrierjohn said:

I very much doubt there will any significant difference in overall height of the 2 ships, especially as both were built by MW at Papenburg.

All I know is Iona cannot reach Bergen due to being unable to get under the bridge. That was the official reason given months ago.

51 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Must be the high ropes course at the top of the ship?

Lol

Or is that just on Arvia?

Just Arvia, however the funnel and all the satellite and radar navigation equipment is well above the rope walk. 

However its unusual for P&O to give any comment, other than operational reasons, when commenting about any cruising incident.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Yorkypete said:

Maybe it is the draught comparison for thr ships mentioned previously.

But Ionas draught is 11.8m, whereas Aidanova is only 8.8m, so there is more of Aidanova above sea level than Iona, which should makke it easier for Iona to pass under the same bridge,

16 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

But Ionas draught is 11.8m, whereas Aidanova is only 8.8m, so there is more of Aidanova above sea level than Iona, which should makke it easier for Iona to pass under the same bridge,

I respectfully suggest you ask P&O why their ship cannot visit Bergen (or Molecrochip if he/she is around).

On 3/8/2023 at 7:23 AM, SarahHben said:

We went to Norway on Iona 21st May last year and loved it. Weather was mixed, we had heavy rain in Olden and sunshine & blue sky in Haugesund. We couldn’t dock at Stavanger due to weather issues.

Haugesund was our least favourite port but it was a national holiday so most places were closed which didn’t help. 
We enjoyed it so much that we are going back to Norway on Britannia at the end of May ‘24

I was in Olden years ago in May and it rained when i was there also, the only reason i remember when i was getting off a Security Lady said to me i would be better with a jacket as it was spitting of rain.

I replied doesn't bother me i'm from Scotland where it rains 364 days a year and snows the other one. 😁

Was funny to see everyone with there Nylon Waterproofs on with the hoods up and me with a t-shirt on when it was only spitting.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Cpt Pugwash said:

I was in Olden years ago in May and it rained when i was there also, the only reason i remember when i was getting off a Security Lady said to me i would be better with a jacket as it was spitting of rain.

I replied doesn't bother me i'm from Scotland where it rains 364 days a year and snows the other one. 😁

Was funny to see everyone with there Nylon Waterproofs on with the hoods up and me with a t-shirt on when it was only spitting.

It was absolutely pouring with rain when we were there last year. We did the troll car excursion and got soaked through even with raincoats on 🥴

We didn’t mind it, just made the trip more memorable 😂

• Haha 1

I've just finally booked this cruise now

20th May 7 nights from Southampton Iona

Booked with a lovely travel agent we met on board our Arvia cruise who was travelling with cruise YouTube vlogger hollydaysatsea

She managed to get us an extra discount so my wife and I are getting 7 nights in an inside saver for exactly £500 per person

We will be up very early and on the decks every day to ensure we don't miss any of the views by not having a balcony

Can't wait

I feel another live thread coming on!!

Lol

Can Iona in the Fjords match her younger sister Arvia in the Caribbean?

Great chance to compare the entertainment as well

Edited by Interestedcruisefan
  • Like 2

It's working out to £71 per person per night for us

By my reckoning:

Breakfast is worth £15 per day

Lunch £20 per day

Late afternoon snack £12 per day

Dinner £30 per day

Gym access £5  per day

Entertainment £20 per day

Total £102 each per day

Less £71 each we are paying

So by my reckoning P and O are actually paying us £31 EACH per day to travel all the way to Norway and back and sleep in Ionas cabins and use her facilities

Lol

Edited by Interestedcruisefan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

I've just finally booked this cruise now

20th May 7 nights from Southampton Iona

Booked with a lovely travel agent we met on board our Arvia cruise who was travelling with cruise YouTube vlogger hollydaysatsea

She managed to get us an extra discount so my wife and I are getting 7 nights in an inside saver for exactly £500 per person

We will be up very early and on the decks every day to ensure we don't miss any of the views by not having a balcony

Can't wait

I feel another live thread coming on!!

Lol

Can Iona in the Fjords match her younger sister Arvia in the Caribbean?

Great chance to compare the entertainment as well

Sounds great.  Looking forward to your live thread already.   If it is half as good as the last one it will be brilliant.

Edited by Ilovemygarden
  • Like 1