Gala night, theme night, white nights. How do you know?

HardToPort

I’m cruising on Divina in April 2023. I generally dress more “up” unless I’m in the pool and I do like a tux on gala nights and a jacket on most other nights that I’m in the MDR. However I’m doing this cruise solo so definitely not packing my tux because when travelling solo I am a “carry on only” traveller. So, I will bring a jacket and slacks but how do I find out if we have any white nights or theme nights planned?

if there is a place on the website where I can find this info I’d like to know. While I’m older (63) and can’t dance the night away anymore I do like to participate dress-wise and enjoy the festivities albeit as an observer.

Any info from recent Divina itineraries to help me pack?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, HardToPort said:

So, I will bring a jacket and slacks but how do I find out if we have any white nights or theme nights planned? if there is a place on the website where I can find this info I’d like to know. While I’m older (63) and can’t dance the night away anymore I do like to participate dress-wise and enjoy the festivities albeit as an observer.

I'm not aware of any place where you would learn of the "parties" onboard any particular upcoming MSC cruise. If you're sailing a 7-nt cruise, you most assuredly will have a White Night party and a 70's Night party. So bring some white clothes and your old bell bottoms so you're ready!

Divina seems to be doing mostly those short-haul weekend escape cruises to Ocean Cay, etc. No gala night on such less than 7 night cruises. Either way: Trousers and collared shirt is more than enough for a gentlemen's MSC's gala night.

As regarding theme nights they're entirely optional and even on say, a white night it is common to see people with other colors on the audience. The daily planner will tell you the previous night what days are themed and such things. The short-haul cruises tend to be more relaxed dress wise, IMHO.

30 minutes ago, Nunagoras said:

Either way: Trousers and collared shirt is more than enough for a gentlemen's MSC's gala night.

Boa tarde amigo,

Yes, I know a shirt and slacks are fine. It’s just a personal preference that I wear a jacket to dinner.

cheira bem, cheira Lisboa.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, HardToPort said:

Boa tarde amigo,

Yes, I know a shirt and slacks are fine. It’s just a personal preference that I wear a jacket to dinner.

cheira bem, cheira Lisboa.

Muito obrigado pelas palavras amigas!... (Many thanks to the kind words!...) Just out of curiosity: Are you from Portuguese origin!... So nice to see this here!... 🙂

That's my preference as well to use a jacket for dinner, sometimes even on non gala nights!... But sadly the worldwide trends to each time less formality... And TBHH; airline luggage allowances are each time lower elsewhere as well, so now my trick is just to dress the suit for my flights and then to use the jacket on gala night and on nights when the temperature would be on the lower side. By the norm I use collared shirt and trousers every day for dinner on a cruise. Here in Europe we seem to be sort on the more formal side of the pond on that one, but really a jacket I'd only "compulsorily" to use on the first gala night for Captain's presentation. On the 2nd gala I and most of the crowd use to relax a little more... Back in the day I used to use a tie for gala night... Not anymore!...

Tenha um bom fim-de-semana!... (have a nice weekend!...)

Nunagoras,

I’m Anglo Canadian not Portuguese, but I married into a Portuguese family so I’m an honorary Portuguese now. They’re from Pico and I love the Azores. I’ve been to Lisboa and Porto as well. 

I love Fado, red wine and Portuguese food. And the people. Right now I listen to Cuca Roseta a lot. Beautiful voice, wonderful fadista. 

Ta log, amigo e boa noite.

Edited by HardToPort
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, HardToPort said:

Nunagoras,

I’m Anglo Canadian not Portuguese, but I married into a Portuguese family so I’m an honorary Portuguese now. They’re from Pico and I love the Azores. I’ve been to Lisboa and Porto as well. 

I love Fado, red wine and Portuguese food. And the people. Right now I listen to Cuca Roseta a lot. Beautiful voice, wonderful fadista. 

Ta log, amigo e boa noite.

Wonderful, many thanks! I'm from Lisbon, currently living in the countryside near Holly Mother of Fátima Shrine!... But I know very well the wonderful Azores and their huge relationship with the sea!... I had family and friends there for quite a while and I have extensively traveled there!... Wonderful food there as well, especially the famous "cozido das Furnas" (such a unique volcanic land prepared meat and vegetables Portuguese stew from Furnas in Azores)!...

Cuca Roseta is a very interesting, talented and versatile women voice, far from only Fado!... And a few years ago she worked with a small cruise venture here in Portugal that didn't endure too much!... I believe she was one of the cruise directors for late MS Funchal at their final operational year! So; cruising is very well on our both interests!... I currently am unable to take any cruise for many reasons... Maybe next year if things go the right way, who knows!... But it is a very enjoyable sort of holidays and it is becoming quite popular here!...

Tenha um bom domingo!... (Have a nice Sunday!...)