Cancellation about one week prior

I just heard that the mother of my partner probably only has a week or so to live. As luck would have it, we also have a Royal Caribbean cruise scheduled soon.

We insured the trip, but we are subject to pre-existing conditions restrictions. The way I read the policy, any claim for this reason probably won't be successful if this forces us to cancel.

My question is: Assuming insurance won't help, how merciful is Royal Caribbean in these types of situations? I know back in the Covid days there were options, but I suspect those days are gone. The cancellation penalty is 100% now, but will they help us out if we reschedule instead? Just trying to get the experiences of others. We booked directly through Royal Caribbean.

1 hour ago, MightyMike said:

I just heard that the mother of my partner probably only has a week or so to live. As luck would have it, we also have a Royal Caribbean cruise scheduled soon.

We insured the trip, but we are subject to pre-existing conditions restrictions. The way I read the policy, any claim for this reason probably won't be successful if this forces us to cancel.

My question is: Assuming insurance won't help, how merciful is Royal Caribbean in these types of situations? I know back in the Covid days there were options, but I suspect those days are gone. The cancellation penalty is 100% now, but will they help us out if we reschedule instead? Just trying to get the experiences of others. We booked directly through Royal Caribbean.

Pre existing conditions should only apply to those insured for the trip. Death of a family member would be an entirely different category.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Ryder101 said:

Pre existing conditions should only apply to those insured for the trip. Death of a family member would be an entirely different category.

I would call the insurance company and ask what their definition of "Partner" is.  Old school was by marriage.  Who knows, today.  The mother of a "partner" may not fall into one of the approved categories.  I honestly don't think the cruise line will be very sympathetic.  I hope I'm wrong though.

13 hours ago, sandebeach said:

I would call and explain the situation and see what Royal will do. 

We have found that it is best to start with the cruise line before dealing with the insurance company if the insurance was purchased through the cruise line. If insurance was purchased privately, then I'd work both sides separately to see if either blinks.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

I would call the insurance company and ask what their definition of "Partner" is.  Old school was by marriage.  Who knows, today.  The mother of a "partner" may not fall into one of the approved categories.  I honestly don't think the cruise line will be very sympathetic.  I hope I'm wrong though.

Do most insurance policies cover the death (or imminent death) of a family member of a TRAVELING COMPANION?  Assuming the partner is part of the traveling party, this may apply.

Best.thing to do is contact RCI and see if they'll be compassionate.  Simultaneously,  contact the insurance company and ask if the policy covers the specific situation.

17 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

Do most insurance policies cover the death (or imminent death) of a family member of a TRAVELING COMPANION?  Assuming the partner is part of the traveling party, this may apply.

Best.thing to do is contact RCI and see if they'll be compassionate.  Simultaneously,  contact the insurance company and ask if the policy covers the specific situation.

Of course, there are many variables involved.  But, the OP is lacking in details.  What insurance company?  Is the "Partner and/or his/her mother" actually part of the traveling party?  Is the "Partner" and/or his/her mother legally or by blood a family member OR covered in the policy?  What options were purchased with the insurance?  And a lot more questions, I could have.

I don't disagree that contacting RCI is a good thing.  I just don't think they would be very sympathetic, especially if the "Partner's mother" isn't legally or by blood a family member OR covered in the policy. And it complicates things even more if the "Partner" isn't legally or by blood a family member OR covered in the policy.  

This is all opinion, of course.  I'm not an insurance expert and I didn't stay in a Holiday Inn last night.  But, I have read a lot of horror stories that fall into this type of situation.  

Edited by Ret MP

Current RCL Insurance Cancellation Waiver wording, so the situation may be covered:

"Cancellation Penalty Waiver.

Cash Refund Up To Total Cruise Vacation Cost

This Cancellation Penalty Waiver is an addendum to your cruise ticket contract. Through the Travel Protection Program, Royal Caribbean International will waive their standard cancellation provision and refund to you IN CASH the otherwise non-refundable value of the unused portion of your prepaid cruise vacation, should you or your traveling companion need to cancel your cruise vacation for any one of the following reasons (subject to the restrictions noted below*).
1. sickness, injury, or death of yourself, a traveling companion or members of either of your immediate families, which is diagnosed and treated by a physician at the time your cruise vacation is terminated;"

"Please note that an immediate family member is: the spouse (includes common law, civil union or domestic partner), child (includes adopted, foster, step or in-law), sibling (includes step or in-law), parent (includes step or in-law), grandparent (includes in-law), grandchild, aunt, uncle, niece or nephew."

Edited by orville99
  • Like 1

I agree we're missing a lot of data that would help form opinions.  I was just pointing out the definition of "partner" may not even matter.

For that matter, it really doesn't matter what anyone on here says.  We can be in 100% agreement the situation should be covered and the insurance folks say "nope".

• Like 1