Dover Priory to Dover Cruise Port Why Not Walk?

We will only have carry-on luggage when we arrive on the train to Dover Priory station. It is about a mile from the station to the cruise port. SOME people say that taxis are sometimes hard to come by. Is there a reason people don't walk besides the luggage situation? 

I'm thinking of playing it by ear, unless walking is absolutely a no-go. 

Thanks!

6 minutes ago, bunnyette said:

If you’re fit and have carry on it shouldn’t be too much of a problem to walk…look at Google maps first.  We were there last year but stayed the night before.

I looked at a map (I think it was Google) and it showed different routes. I would like to see if there are sidewalks though. Of course, there is also the weather to consider.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, let's go cruising said:

I looked at a map (I think it was Google) and it showed different routes. I would like to see if there are sidewalks though. Of course, there is also the weather to consider.

Put Google Maps into "Street View" mode.  It works best on a computer.  Then you can literally "walk" the entire route and see the various terrain, sidewalks, lights, etc.

I took a taxi and while there wasn't one waiting when I got off the train, one did arrive within 5 minutes.  There were a few of them basically doing back and forth trips to the port because a cruise ship was in town.

I do not know if the port actually permits pedestrians to enter.  Hopefully someone can answer that for you. I don't recall discussion of walking to the ship here on CC previously.

Edited by MeHeartCruising

We didn't walk into the port last year (our cruise started in Barcelona), but we walked out of the port and to our hotel.  We had rolling carry-on suitcases and backpacks and were staying at the Best Western.  We also walked from the hotel to the train station.

• Like 2

Something over a mile, about a 25 minute walk, all on sidewalks

No up-hilll (but there is a little uphill for those walking to the station).

No problem walking into the port.

You do cross a main road heavy with a constant stream of trucks heading for the X-channel ferries, so make use of the first traffic-light-controlled pedestrian crossing.

JB 🙂

• Like 2