Enchantment Chops Restaurant

It's worth the $20 but we prefer Portifino's ourselves. Chops char grills their steaks and it leaves sort of a burnt taste in our opinion. However, if you ask them not the char the outside of the steak, they'll make sure it isn't slightly burnt on the outside.

Even though we prefer Portifino's I'd still make reservaions at Chops for at least one night during the cruise.

I have pictures of Chops from our Enchantment cruise photo's in the link in my signature below.

We have enjoyed both Chops on the Enchantment and Portofino's on the Voyager and the Explorer. Each person's taste is just that, his/her taste. In MY opinion, Chops is a better CHOP HOUSE experience than Portofino's is an ITALIAN or even GENERAL restaurant experience.

That having been said, we LOVED Chops on the Enchantment, so much so that we went TWICE in one week.

Chops is one of the best dining experiences we've had at sea. Definitely worth the $20 pp. Service is extra special and the food is fabulous. My dh wanted to eat there every night after we went. Enjoy!

I agree with everyone else. We went to Chops and the food was great. Here is a tip, go the last night of the cruise, the dining room steak was horrible. Tip your waiter the 2nd to last night and tell him you are going to Chops. Make your reservation the first day on the ship or it will fill up.

I agree with everyone else. We went to Chops and the food was great. Here is a tip, go the last night of the cruise, the dining room steak was horrible. Tip your waiter the 2nd to last night and tell him you are going to Chops. Make your reservation the first day on the ship or it will fill up.

Each ship, each cruise, and each meal can be different, just like our tastes. When *I* have ordered the steak in the dining room, it has always been quite good. It's not as good as the steak in Chops, of course, but quite good.

So, you may encounter "Steve's steak" or you may luck out and get "Carol's steak." :D :D :D

We especially enjoyed Chops on Enchantment of the Seas. We had a table right in front of a big window with a lovely view of the ocean as sun was setting. There was another cruise ship off in the distance. What a wonderful view!

I loved that the Chops has an open kitchen so you can watch the chefs grilling if you are in that section of the restaurant.

I am a vegetarian so the chef prepared a pasta pomodoro especially to order. It was delicious. My husband really enjoyed his steak.

The service was very attentive.

I say it was well worth every cent we paid. It was a lovely dinner and very romantic. We do usually prefer Portofinos, so I had misgivings about Chops, but any misgivings were needless. I would definitely do it again if we sail Enchantment again.

We ate at Chops on Enchantment last September. The meal is well worth the money.

The steaks were very good and the baked potatoes were exceptionally huge, potatoes on steroids huge. DH and I shared a potato. I'm from Chicago where steak is king and I give Chops high marks.

You won't be sorry.

I know I'm in the minority and haven't ever posted this before because I hate the controversay that sometimes happens on these boards, but we were rather disappointed in our Chops experience on the Enchantment last fall.

Maybe it was because I had such high expectations because of what we had heard, but I thought everything (except dessert) was pretty average. The dining room was far from full, as a matter of fact, it was almost empty, but we were directed to the very back of the dining room at a table that was really too small for the 5 in our party. I asked if we could get a little bigger table, which they did, but we were still in the back, not where we could see into the kitchen which I thought was the neatest thing about the restaurant. So much for the great ambiance everyone raved about. And our Chops servers weren't anywhere near as attentive as our regular dining room waiter and assistant.

I had a coupon for a free glass of wine (not a buy one get one, just a free glass). I asked the waiter BEFORE I ordered if I could use it as I wasn't sure it would be good at the specialty restaurant and he said of course. But when the bill came, they had charged me for the wine. It took 3 people and then the manager who couldn't correct this until the next day, but it was corrected. Aggravating, but it didn't "ruin" our dinner. Just wasn't the stellar experience I was hoping for.

The appetizers were good, but I didn't think were that much better than what we got in the dining room. I had the filet which was good, but DH's prime rib was average, if not below average in both quality and doneness. Yes, he could have sent it back, but it wasn't "bad", just not great.

Now, dessert! Fortunately the dessert made up for everything. That chocolate thingy was unbelievable and I guess made up for everything else. But was it worth $20 p/p? I don't really think so.

I guess I posted because as Carol said, you might get Her steak, or as was our problem, my DH's prime rib. If I hadn't had such HIGH expectations, I probably wouldn't have been disappointed.

FYI, the other 3 in our party raved about the dinner.

Would I do it again? Probably not with DH only, but if the group I was with wanted to go, I would try it again. After all, "there's always dessert!"

Our Concierge (Katherine) was kind enough to e-mail us prior to our Brilliance March 17 departure asking if there was anything she could do for us, so we've already booked Chops with her! (we loved it on our last Brilliance cruise) What a bonus! We also have arranged for cybercabin and she will add DH to our excursion for us on Friday before we get there. I like this Concierge idea. This was DH's idea, but now that Pandora's been open....:rolleyes:

I know I'm in the minority and haven't ever posted this before because I hate the controversay that sometimes happens on these boards, but we were rather disappointed in our Chops experience on the Enchantment last fall.

Maybe it was because I had such high expectations because of what we had heard, but I thought everything (except dessert) was pretty average.......

Food, of course, is very subjective and is relative to where a person has dined before. Most people never think of spending $150 and up for a meal for two without alcohol. If I were to have only dined at the local restaurants where $60 without drinks for two is considered an expensive meal, then I'd probably feel better about Chops than I do. As it is, once or twice a year we take in what is supposed to be a really fine restaurant and pay the price for it.

Maybe it was because I had such high expectations because of what we had heard, but I thought everything (except dessert) was pretty average. The dining room was far from full, as a matter of fact, it was almost empty, but we were directed to the very back of the dining room at a table that was really too small for the 5 in our party. I asked if we could get a little bigger table, which they did, but we were still in the back, not where we could see into the kitchen which I thought was the neatest thing about the restaurant. So much for the great ambiance everyone raved about. And our Chops servers weren't anywhere near as attentive as our regular dining room waiter and assistant.

I had a coupon for a free glass of wine (not a buy one get one, just a free glass). I asked the waiter BEFORE I ordered if I could use it as I wasn't sure it would be good at the specialty restaurant and he said of course. But when the bill came, they had charged me for the wine. It took 3 people and then the manager who couldn't correct this until the next day, but it was corrected. Aggravating, but it didn't "ruin" our dinner. Just wasn't the stellar experience I was hoping for.

The appetizers were good, but I didn't think were that much better than what we got in the dining room. I had the filet which was good, but DH's prime rib was average, if not below average in both quality and doneness. Yes, he could have sent it back, but it wasn't "bad", just not great.

Now, dessert! Fortunately the dessert made up for everything. That chocolate thingy was unbelievable and I guess made up for everything else. But was it worth $20 p/p? I don't really think so.

I guess I posted because as Carol said, you might get Her steak, or as was our problem, my DH's prime rib. If I hadn't had such HIGH expectations, I probably wouldn't have been disappointed.

FYI, the other 3 in our party raved about the dinner.

Would I do it again? Probably not with DH only, but if the group I was with wanted to go, I would try it again. After all, "there's always dessert!"

Very well-stated, Murphy. All I can say, by way of response, is that the staff must have been having an *off* night the night you were there. The one thing that stands out from our experience was the expertise, friendliness and care of the Chops personnel. As I said above, we were SO impressed, as much by the way we were treated as by the food, that we went again a second night, on a one week cruise. And for me, that's a BIG expenditure - I pay for three, that's $60 twice, plus extra tip, twice. That's how much we liked it.

And I agree with doug, your reaction to a new restaurant will be based on what you have experienced in other restaurants, but I am a *very* sophisticated diner. I have eaten in (both paying and being treated) in some of the finest restaurants in the U.S. and Europe. :) :)

Archived