Train or fly from Barcelona to Paris?

Has anyone taken the train from Barcelona to Paris? Is there a baggage restriction on the train? How long is the ride on the train and are there private compartments (with locks and beds) available on the overnight train?

I can fly Easy jet but the baggage restriction of 20 kg is probelmatic after a Transatlantic cruise (and shopping!;) )

I was actually wondering if the train ride would save the cost of a hotel for a night and still have us wake up in Paris?

OK, I'm confused. :confused:

Thanks everyone!

Dorie

Is there a baggage restriction on the train?

No, you can bring as much as you can carry. Although it can get crowded on a train if there are many other passengers with a lot of luggage.

How long is the ride on the train and are there private compartments (with locks and beds) available on the overnight train?

There is a night train that goes directly from Barcelona to Paris, it takes about 12 hours (9.00pm to 9.00am).

Usually there are cheap and expensive seats and compartments. I'm not sure if they have locks on French/Spanish trains, but they definitely have beds on overnight trains.

Here are links to the French and Spanish train companies:

http://www.sncf.fr/indexe.htm

http://horarios.renfe.es/hir/ingles.html

I never had problems sleeping on a train, although it's obviously not as quiet as in a hotel or your home. Some people hate the noise; others love it and the motion (in a way it's like being on a ship), it helps them sleep.

Archived