You'd better have a really late flight if you're going to take a decent tour on debarkation day in Seward

eyern1

After researching, the glacier tours are a no go due to to time they start and end and transportation/transfer options are slim unless your plane leaves Anchorage around midnight.  We leave at 8:20 pm, which I thought was terribly late when I booked it but it's not as it turns out. Looks like the best option for a tour is the all day bus transfer tour but that's about it, short of taking a direct bus back followed by some briefer tours in Anchorage.  I thought I'd put this out there for warning and also in case some people know of stuff I didn't see and can direct me there.

If you can get a one way rental car, check out Kenai Riverdog.  We had a fantastic time with her on the river last summer.  I would recommend keeping a change of clothes/shoes handy just in case you get a little wet. 

Since you mention glacier there are a couple options near Seward/on way to Anchorage. One option is Exit Glacier in Kenai Fjords National Park. The hike wasn't too difficult  and it was interesting to see how the glacier had receded/changed over the years.  View of the glacier was further away. Another option on your way to Anchorage is the Byron Glacier Trail.   It was an easy hike to a glacier that you can actually touch.  

I agree. 

Correct. If people can spend a few days in Seward after the cruise, it is the best! Most get on a bus or train and miss the port entirely. Seward is definitely a gem.

Sorry you don't have time do things. Even with a midnight flight - it is touchy to get from train to airport, through security and make the flight.

In 2019, we used a cruise line excursion on debarkation day to Kenai Fjords National Park. They bused us to the boat docks. We did the excusion to Alki Glacier and back. They bused us to Anchorage, dropping people at Aleyska, the airport and the downtown hotels. We were at our hotel about 5 pm. This excursion plus transfer would work for your flight.

I will always suggest an overnight in Seward to experience the fun!  You can also overnight in Anchorage by taking the 6pm(ish?) train after any of the tours.

On 3/15/2023 at 1:15 PM, dfilpus said:

In 2019, we used a cruise line excursion on debarkation day to Kenai Fjords National Park. They bused us to the boat docks. We did the excusion to Alki Glacier and back. They bused us to Anchorage, dropping people at Aleyska, the airport and the downtown hotels. We were at our hotel about 5 pm. This excursion plus transfer would work for your flight.

WOAH that seems like a whirlwind!  I know that the drive from Seward isn't short and to get out to the glacier it takes a long time, they must have been really quick! Handy excursion though!

• Like 1

On 3/15/2023 at 12:15 PM, dfilpus said:

I haven't seen tis one but I'll look for it. Thanks to you and everyone.

One of the things that you must consider when scheduling anything on debarkation day is that there is only one road from Seward to Anchorage.  If there is a wreck on the Seward Highway, it can potentially shut the road down for hours.  If you want to do tours or anything, schedule an extra day or two.   

Red-eye flights are a norm out of Anchorage.  Additionally, you need to be prepared for long lines at the airport during fishing season when tourists are taking back their haul.

On a lighter note, the Sealife Center in Seward is great.  As is the Alaska Wildlife Center in Portage on your way from Seward to Anchorage.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Update.  Just to make things tighter on the transfers and nearly impossible to take a glacier tour, I got an email from the bus transfer company saying RCI and Celebrity are docking in Seward later than they have ever done, which will push arrival times in Anchorage back about an hour.

We wanted to stay in Seward for a day after embarking and enjoy the port. But we found rather limited options the next day to get to Anchorage flight. Ultimately chose debarkation train (early) to Anchorage, hotel for the night, and tour the area before late flight home. May have to take a nap at the airport, LOL.