Is Q7 a new room category on QM2?

BrisbaneR

I've been looking to book a 2025 TA voyage when the new schedules go on sale in a few days. Looking at the deck plans of QM2, I notice that they now include a Q7 room category for Queen Suites. I'm wondering if this is a recent change or whether I just haven't looked for a while? None of the other Cunard ships have a Q7 category.  Presumably this means that Q7 would be the lowest level of Queen suite. Yet the location is interesting. They are midship on Deck 9 or aft on Deck 8. You would think that midship on Deck 9 would be desirable (Q6 is forward on the same deck). I presume there must be something not so good about this location.

Has anyone heard anything about Q7 rooms or travelled in them?  While I could probably only afford the least expensive QG suite, I'd like to be confident that they are worth having - especially if the trip is now going to be 8 days!

Thanks esrs for pointing this out. I can now see the small triangle symbol on the actual room numbers. Mystery solved. What this means for me is that I will make sure not to book one of these room as I obviously wouldn't want to take up a space meant for passengers with special needs.

• Like 1

@esrs has explained what sets the Q7 category apart from the Q5/Q6 categories.

The Q7 category has been around almost from the beginning. The original QM2 deck plans I have from 2004 only show Q5 and Q6 for the Queens Suites categories. But even on those original plans with only those two Queens Suites categories, all of the Q6 category suites were designated "wheelchair accessible." The deck plans I have from 2005 are the first to show the Queens Suites category divided into Q5, Q6 and Q7 with all the Q7 suites designated as accessible.

There's one other bit of early deck plan trivia regarding this subject which just might be worth mentioning. The two accessible Queens Suites on deck 9 (suites 9025 and 9034) were not originally split out into a different category from their neighbors. Those two suites were marked as accessible on early deck plans, but they were not assigned the lower category code given to the other three accessible Queens Suites on deck 8 (suites 8127, 8129 and 8130) until sometime between 2006 and 2008.

More than you really wanted to know about the QM2 deck plans, I'm sure!

• Like 3

Thanks Bluemarble. You're right - it's  more than I wanted to know, but fascinating nonetheless. You seem to able to fill in so many gaps in Cunard history. I always enjoy reading your contributions. 

• Thanks 1