Eastward transatlantic crossing with pets question

Lulu73

Hello, I’m not sure if this is the appropriate forum to ask this question.

I’m taking the QM2 from NY to Southhampton in July (with my pets). I’m relocating to the UK for a couple of years for school. Cunard sent both the EU Health Certificate form, and the GB Health Certificate form. Does anyone know if I need to have them both filled out, or just the GB one? I’m not sure why they included the EU one. And they don’t want to answer any questions. My vet is concerned because I think there is more leeway with the tapeworm treatment timing for the GB health certificate than there is with the EU one.

Thanks in advance.

Lulu,

if you’re only going to the UK, then you only need the one for Great Britain.

They sent both because the ship sometimes continues onward to the EU or some passengers will travel immediately onward to the EU by land, and will need both.

You said your vet mentioned some thing about tapeworm treatment for the EU. This concerns me that your vet may not understand the regulations, because there is no tapeworm requirement in most of the EU, only Great Britain and a few other EU countries. And where there are - the time requirements are the same.

I mentioned this only because you need to be certain that the vet who fills out the paperwork is USDA certified to complete the health certificate. If he’s not, it will be rejected. You can go to this link to look up doctors who are USDA certified.
A “type 1” or “type 2” Vet are both OK for dogs.

• Like 2

Gherkin, thank you so much for the info. My vet is USDA certified, but the office manager is kind of dealing with the timeline and organizing everything. They have done pet certificates before, but I don’t think it is a frequent thing, and I think I’m the first person they have dealt with who is taking a boat over.

But I will look into what you are saying about the EU tapeworm thing. It’s possible I am misunderstanding what the office manager was saying.

And I’ll double check on the USDA certification thing. Thank you you again! It’s a lot to figure out, (a lot of moving parts to coordinate) and I’d hate to get to the port and have them not let me on!!

(Edit) Double-checked and my vet IS USDA certified. 

Edited by Lulu73
  • Like 1

No worries about the EU tapeworm treatment since you are not going there.

For the UK you’ll have to be between 24 and  120 hours prior to embarking with a tapeworm treatment.

The Rabies requirement is really the only one that can get a bit sticky.

When were your pets last vaccinated for rabies?

• Like 1

My cat was vaccinated February 15th of this year. And the vet office says he is fine to go to the UK.

My dog…..I have to double check. He is up-to-date according to US standards…..but the person I’m working with at the vet office says he will need to be re-vaccinated before we leave. (Maybe because there were lapses in coverage or something….I’m not sure) Which will be earlier than when he is due by US standards. She said it wouldn’t be harmful to him to be revaccinated early, even though he doesn’t need it yet.

@gkerlin Have you made this trip before?

(Edit) I just found out I was accepted to the grad school a few weeks ago…so there is a lot to figure out between now and July. Yikes. 

Edited by Lulu73

Also, I’m planning on renting a car in Wisconsin and driving to New York with my luggage and pets. So I’m thinking I take my dog to the vet for the tapeworm treatment the day before I leave. And drive and drive, stay overnight somewhere, drive and drive, stay overnight somewhere close to where the QM2 departs, return the car, and take a taxi service or something from the car rental place to where the QM2 departs. Does this sound like a decent plan?

(Edit) I figure I will take one large rolling suitcase and a large bag that I can wear as a backpack. My cat will be in a carrier. My dog will be on a leash. I will ship whatever else I think I am going to need.

Edited by Lulu73

Find a way to bungee cord my cat’s carrier to my rolling suitcase.

(Edit) although my cat doesn’t even have a kennel spot yet. He is on the waiting list. He might have to be flown cargo separately.

Edited by Lulu73

2 hours ago, Lulu73 said:

My cat was vaccinated February 15th of this year. And the vet office says he is fine to go to the UK.

My dog…..I have to double check. He is up-to-date according to US standards…..but the person I’m working with at the vet office says he will need to be re-vaccinated before we leave. (Maybe because there were lapses in coverage or something….I’m not sure) Which will be earlier than when he is due by US standards. She said it wouldn’t be harmful to him to be revaccinated early, even though he doesn’t need it yet.

@gkerlin Have you made this trip before?

(Edit) I just found out I was accepted to the grad school a few weeks ago…so there is a lot to figure out between now and July. Yikes. 

Yes I can see the cat is fine. The recent vaccine guarantees him.

The dog - it depends,  getting it revaccinated before you leave guarantees he will be fine as well.   A lapse in coverage could do it or not having all the documentation to prove the unbroken chain of vaccinations as listed below:

1).    For the EU/UK The first rabies vaccination AFTER microchip implantation is considered a primary vaccination and is only valid for 1 year.

2).   The second, if administered within a year from the first, is considered a booster and is valid for 3 years.

All the subsequent vaccinations (if #2 above was done on time) would be considered boosters and valid for 3 years provided they were all done within 3 years of each other.  (not 3 years and one day)

That is key.   You must have a documented booster within a year of a primary, and then an unbroken trail of boosters all done within the 3 year windows after that.  If you have done that AND HAVE ALL the documentation to prove it, then no worries for next year.  If you are even late one day you must start over.   If you do not have all the documentation to prove it - you must start over.   I sense that might be while the vet is saying he needs to be revaccinated.   The US standards dont matter.   The rules above apply,

If you do not have all of the documentation to show that she received her first booster within the 1 year period -  then All of the subsequent 3 year vaccines would be each be considered primary for UK/EU purposes regardless of it being ok in the US.    

• Like 1

And yes your plan sounds fine.    As long as it it not more than 120 hrs from when you had the tapeworm done till you get on the ship you are ok.   

If you are concerned about the timing you could always find a vet along the way and make an appointment for tapeworm.    Any vet can do that.   They can then write it in on you health certificate or you just having the dated receipt is also accepted.   Ask the Vet to write in the time on the receipt if it is close to the 5 days.  They seem to be pretty good about the tapeworm - but there is no messing with the rabies at all.

We have done the trip before.   This will be our 4th crossing.

Sorry to hear about the waitlist.   There is still time and if you are high up on the list you have a decent chance as people tend to drop off just prior to final deposits being due. 

For cats my understanding is that they require 2 kennels.  We've never had cats on our crossings yet. One kennel for the beast and one for the litterbox.    We need 2 kennels for the two dogs, and they just turn it into one bigger kennel like they do for the cats.

An option - one that we do - is to rent an Airbnb in Brooklyn a couple nights prior to departure.  It makes for a very relaxed way to start the trip.   Then a short ride with a car service or Uber to the ship and you are good to go.

• Like 1

Yeah. My dog, because of his size, has 2 lower kennels. He’s 60lbs. And they said my cat will require 2 upper kennels. One for him, and one for his litter box. But flying them (and I may still need to fly my cat) is super expensive too. I really like the idea of walking up to the ship with them, and leaving the ship with them. Seems like less opportunity for things to go wrong, or for them to be lost or end up at the wrong destination. That’s kind of the whole point of me going on the QM2 instead of flying.

I’m already thinking I should book my return to the US, which won’t be until 2025.

I appreciate your feedback on this. It’s a lot to figure out, and Cunard doesn’t want to answer any questions at all about the pets. Which I get is probably because they don’t want to be held liable if we can’t get on, and also it is complicated and whether we have the proper paperwork and such isn’t their ultimate decision. 

There’s some misinformation above.

The information about the tapeworm treatment needed between 24 and 120 hours before embarkation is correct.  If you aren’t disembarking in the EU then you can ignore the EU paperwork you’ve been provided.

The advice about rabies only being accepted one year after is incorrect.  Both the UK and EU have recognised the three year vaccinations for longer than the US, and if your pets have been given a vaccination now recognised for three years in the US, this will be accepted on board as entry for the UK.

Me and my dog have done the crossing four times now and, whilst it’s an experience, it can be a stressful one for both owners and pets - although not as bad as putting the pet into cargo on an aeroplane.  There is a very good thread on the cruisemaven website with comments below it that will give you a good idea for what you are letting yourself in for.  On the upside, the shared adversity of the pet owners onboard the QM2, whilst the rest of the passengers are eating, drinking and dancing, delivers a camaraderie that you won’t find anywhere else on the ship.  And all the other passengers will be VERY interested to hear about your experience of travelling with your pets on board…. 

Edited by IB2
  • Like 1