Third bed in Joy balcony stateroom

travelswithK

I have my second cruise ever scheduled on the Joy for May. My sister and I are taking our dad to Bermuda, and we are all in one stateroom. I had originally planned that my sister and I would share the main bed and Dad would have the converted bed, but now I'm wondering if the third bed is comparable to the main one. Does anyone know if it is of similar quality? I don't want him sleeping on something crappy. I'm not fancy and would be happy to sleep on it and let my dad have the main bed (assuming they can split it and let my sister have the other one).

Another unrelated question: I've been hearing a lot of embarkation horror stories, and I have some concerns about my dad having to stand in line for hours. He was recently diagnosed with congestive heart failure, and while still fairly spry, he no longer has the stamina he once did. I was thinking about getting him a cane that converts to a seat, but I was wondering if I should pursue accessible boarding. He does not need a wheelchair as long as he can stop and sit every once in awhile, and he might even be embarrassed if he had to sit in one. I just didn't know if his is a condition that would grant him accessible/priority boarding.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

1 hour ago, travelswithK said:

I had originally planned that my sister and I would share the main bed and Dad would have the converted bed, but now I'm wondering if the third bed is comparable to the main one. Does anyone know if it is of similar quality? I don't want him sleeping on something crappy.

881x400_Bliss_Mini-Suite_MA_M4_02072023.

The sofa bed will look like the picture above. If your stateroom sleeps 4, it will also have the pullman above the sofa bed but it will be tucked away in the ceiling if not needed. If your stateroom sleeps 3, the bed is probably near the closet and the sofa bed is near the balcony. There are some "bed near balcony" that sleep 3 but the majority of "sleeps 3" balcony staterooms have the bed near the closet.

I'm not fancy and would be happy to sleep on it and let my dad have the main bed (assuming they can split it and let my sister have the other one).

The main bed can be split no matter the configuration for your stateroom category. 

He was recently diagnosed with congestive heart failure, and while still fairly spry, he no longer has the stamina he once did. I was thinking about getting him a cane that converts to a seat, but I was wondering if I should pursue accessible boarding. He does not need a wheelchair as long as he can stop and sit every once in awhile, and he might even be embarrassed if he had to sit in one. I just didn't know if his is a condition that would grant him accessible/priority boarding.

You should definitely reach out to the Accessibility people.....(LINK

Even though he doesn't require a wheelchair, he could still use some assistance. There are some people who abuse the system but legitimate assistance shouldn't be a problem. It's not like the old days when people would have one member of their party "qualify" for priority boarding and the rest of the party would zoom ahead just to get VIBE passes. 

Edited by Two Wheels Only
  • Like 2

Oh my goodness, thank you so much for your answer! I think I will reach out to the accessibility folks. And I feel a little better knowing the bed situation, too. I will probably take the convertible bed since it looks a little lower than the other one.

We are all so excited for this trip. The three of us haven't been able to get together since before the pandemic. My dad loves to travel, but like I said, he's slowing down a bit so we want to get in as many adventures as we can!

• Like 1