Flying SEA to Vancouver (YVR) - arrive 3 hours before flight departure time?

MarKay525

It's a short international flight - does the 3-hour-rule apply. We have TSA precheck and will probably be flying on Alaska Air or United/Air Canada. Flight will be in mid-May on a Friday afternoon. (Does day of the week make any difference?) We will use the Port Luggage Valet service for our bags.

And yes, we are aware of the other options - train, shuttle bus, drive, etc. But we are choosing to fly.

Thanks so much.

Edited by MarKay525

Seattle port valet does not apply to international flights so you will have to check your bags.  SEATAC is very busy and even with Nexus one of our flights took 90 minutes from check in to arrive at our gate.  Multiple gate changes on my last flight YMMV.

Possibly multiple ships in port that day personally we would rather relax in one of the restaurants than be running through the airport.

We usually have to take the train to our departure gate but they run every few minutes and it doesn’t take long. So for us minimum 2.5 hours but honestly closer to 3.

Well this is new sorry I should have checked first.

am flying to an international destination; can I still participate in the program?
Yes, we are now offering Onboard Airline Check-In for international flights of the participating airlines, with the exception of Delta Airlines. May vary by port.

Thank you Sprocket and psuboater. Our local airport is a breeze to get through and I've forgotten how much more time a large international hub airport can take.

Thankfully, we seem to be the only ship in port that day.

5 hours ago, MarKay525 said:

Thank you Sprocket and psuboater. Our local airport is a breeze to get through and I've forgotten how much more time a large international hub airport can take.

Thankfully, we seem to be the only ship in port that day.

I've used the Seattle Port Valet a few times and really like not having to drag my bags everywhere.  I did not get a form in my cabin the last time and had to go ask for one I think I was a bit past the cutoff but he was able to arrange it for me.  

• 1 month later...

I’m a flight attendant, 33 years here.

Don’t do it.  

There are so many things that can go wrong, mechanical (no there aren’t just spare planes sitting around to swap), there currently is a shortage of pilots for the smaller planes and a few weeks or days before flying the schedule can be thinned, and the first to go are the smaller planes on shorter routes.

I don’t want your vacation ruined by the airlines.  This isn’t the year to take that gamble. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/16/2023 at 10:07 PM, Prost Seattle said:

I’m a flight attendant, 33 years here.

Don’t do it.  

There are so many things that can go wrong, mechanical (no there aren’t just spare planes sitting around to swap), there currently is a shortage of pilots for the smaller planes and a few weeks or days before flying the schedule can be thinned, and the first to go are the smaller planes on shorter routes.

I don’t want your vacation ruined by the airlines.  This isn’t the year to take that gamble. 

Confused - don't do what - fly from Seattle to Vancouver?

Based on the great feedback here, we've already decided we won't use Port Valet and will arrive at least 3 hours before our 2:45 pm flight.