Cape Liberty and bringing Electric Wheelchair

BCSites

We will be bringing our electric wheelchair for our cruise leaving out of Cape Liberty. The cruise special needs desk has been notified.The wheelchair will be on a swing away lift on the back of our truck. The luggage will be in the bed of the truck covered with a locked cover. We can't get to the bed of the truck without taking the wheelchair off of the lift first then swinging the lift open which takes up some extra room to the rear of the truck. My question is if anyone knows what procedure we need to follow in order to drop off our luggage and the passenger who needs the wheelchair to get out of the truck? Is there a ramp where you drop your luggage off so we can get the passenger out of the truck and onto the pavement or do we need to pull to a different spot at the drop off location to do both at the same time? 

45 minutes ago, BCSites said:

My question is if anyone knows what procedure we need to follow in order to drop off our luggage and the passenger who needs the wheelchair to get out of the truck? Is there a ramp where you drop your luggage off so we can get the passenger out of the truck and onto the pavement or do we need to pull to a different spot at the drop off location to do both at the same time? 

Goldsborough Dr. is a 1 lane road leading to the terminal. It expands to 2 lanes near the terminal. There will be traffic personnel holding cars prior to the terminal to allow those ahead to drop luggage/passengers. There is no ramp, it is a paved road. The area closest to where cars are temporarily halted is where porters place luggage into transport carriers. Closest to the entrance, there will not be transport carriers.

I do not think it will be an issue to pull alongside the transport carrier area & let passengers out & remove the wheelchair and luggage. Talk to the person stopping the cars, he may be able to assist.

Edited by meadowlander

18 minutes ago, meadowlander said:

Goldsborough Dr. is a 1 lane road leading to the terminal. It expands to 2 lanes near the terminal. There will be traffic personnel holding cars prior to the terminal to allow those ahead to drop luggage/passengers. There is no ramp, it is a paved road. The area closest to where cars are temporarily halted is where porters place luggage into transport carriers. Closest to the entrance, there will not be transport carriers.

I do not think it will be an issue to pull alongside the transport carrier area & let passengers out & remove the wheelchair and luggage. Talk to the person stopping the cars, he may be able to assist.

Thank you.

2 hours ago, BCSites said:

Is it better to choose a late embarkment time or an early time to avoid a lot of cars? Or maybe is doesn't matter.

Traffic flows fairly well at Cape Liberty-- its off on its own so there is no additional city traffic like you have at other NYC area ports. I wouldn't factor this into what time you choose to disembark. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BCSites said:

Is it better to choose a late embarkment time or an early time to avoid a lot of cars? Or maybe is doesn't matter.

It does matter. Arriving prior to 10:30 will be beneficial. As I indicated, cars are temporarily stopped immediately before the luggage drop zone. Traffic will increase significantly by 11 am, as many prefer arriving at that time with the expectation that they should proceed into the garage and terminal with no waiting.

Arrival times are no longer enforced at Cape Liberty as they were last year at this time. I was able to drive to the terminal last year at 12:30 with no waiting due to enforced arrival times. I would think if you arrive 1 pm or later, there should be little to no traffic in front of the terminal.

If you are cruising before May, with only Anthem sailing from Bayonne, you will park in the garage. In May with 2 Royal ships, handicap parking in the garage receives preference. Take the parking ticket with you on the ship as you will pay for parking before getting to your vehicle when disembarking. Expect to wait in line to use the parking garage elevator(s).

Edited by meadowlander
  • Like 1