Seaweed on Perfect Day

1 minute ago, ssb said:

My premise is a  blob or pod two thousand miles long, around, deep or what ever can cover a lot of beach in one day or a few days.   

Okay, okay.  Did I ever say it didn't/couldn't?  

2 hours ago, Ret MP said:

An ungroomed beach, for sure.  That didn't just happen overnight.  Misleading photo.  As I stated, if the beach at a tourist venue is ungroomed, don't go back.  Grooming should be an ongoing activity, not just once a week, day activity, it should be done, "as needed".  This is far too late.  I don't think that is a picture of Miami/Ft. Lauderdale beach, do you?   

There is a whole post that you conveniently left out, see above ^.  The condition in that picture didn't get like that overnight and I explained why.  And my comments, ALL of them are in reference to tourist venues, not a deserted island somewhere.  I stand by my reasoning that "THAT" photo was an ungroomed beach, not a tourist venue (if it is, don't go back), and so on.  

It's not rocket science here.  Groomed beaches are, well, they're Groomed beaches.  They don't look like the one in that picture, and if they do, don't go back.  

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

There is a whole post that you conveniently left out, see above ^.  The condition in that picture didn't get like that overnight and I explained why.  And my comments, ALL of them are in reference to tourist venues, not a deserted island somewhere.  I stand by my reasoning that "THAT" photo was an ungroomed beach, not a tourist venue (if it is, don't go back), and so on.  

It's not rocket science here.  Groomed beaches are, well, they're Groomed beaches.  They don't look like the one in that picture, and if they do, don't go back.  

Galveston where we live has experienced the phenomenon . Whether  it is groomed  or ungroomed the consequences are severe . Our island a major tourist destination deals with daily maintenance of these issues and has dealt in the past with the major consequences of the the massive blobs or pods that float in our waters of the Gulf of Mexico and Caribbean. With a massive invasion you do not have a choice of grooming     to put beaches and adjacent waters in enjoyable tourist activities. 

4 minutes ago, ssb said:

Galveston where we live has experienced the phenomenon . Whether  it is groomed  or ungroomed the consequences are severe . Our island a major tourist destination deals with daily maintenance of these issues and has dealt in the past with the major consequences of the the massive blobs or pods that float in our waters of the Gulf of Mexico and Caribbean. With a massive invasion you do not have a choice of grooming     to put beaches and adjacent waters in enjoyable tourist activities. 

Ya, whatever.  Seaweed is taking over the world and we humans aren't smart enough to deal with it, got it! We don't have the brains or equipment to groom tourist destinations/venues, got it.  I'm going back to my cave now.  See ya.

You're not getting what I'm saying for one reason or another.  So, let's end this here.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

Just an FYI, this is a screen shot of Galveston, yesterday at about 6:15 PM.  See the seaweed line.  

The other screen shot is from just now.  Groomed!

galvestonbeach3-17-236-16PM.thumb.jpg.25d14e156b25cf228c1809bb0d90a63c.jpggalvestonbeach3-18-238-35AM.thumb.jpg.2f0c87b6799b02b063a2380c0910039f.jpg

Live webcams from all over the Caribbean are helpful for those that want to see the condition of their favorite beaches.  I like this website for that purpose:  http://www.larrysvacationwebcams.com/

Curacao, groomed:

curacao 3-18-23 8-45.jpg

• Like 1

On 3/18/2023 at 9:40 AM, Ret MP said:

Just an FYI, this is a screen shot of Galveston, yesterday at about 6:15 PM.  See the seaweed line.  

The other screen shot is from just now.  Groomed!

galvestonbeach3-17-236-16PM.thumb.jpg.25d14e156b25cf228c1809bb0d90a63c.jpggalvestonbeach3-18-238-35AM.thumb.jpg.2f0c87b6799b02b063a2380c0910039f.jpg

Those look like two different locations... there's some kind of pier in the 2nd picture that's not in the first. 

28 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

Those look like two different locations... there's some kind of pier in the 2nd picture that's not in the first. 

Not correct.  The camera is just at different zoom or different cameras. Not different locations.  Look at the pier you are talking about, both have a white roof of sorts.  Look at the side of the road, there is a vehicle with something behind that has two white vertical lines and two black vertical lines.   And a lot more.  Just click on the top picture and then zoom in on it.  You'll see all is the same.  I know someone would come up with this eventually.  Believe me, I did my homework before posting the pictures.  THEY ARE THE SAME LOCATION, just different zoom levels or different cameras of the same location.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Grumpus said:

Looks like Fort Lauderdale Beach could use a little grooming today. I remember this happing about this time last year as well.  We went to CocoCay thinking we'd see the same thing there but there was none.

Seaweed.jpg

Same location, just a different angle.  Your picture shows the "Elbo Room" at the extreme left, lower.  This picture is from the Elbo Room, it is a snippet from a live webcam, just a few minutes ago.  Looks fairly well groomed to me.  

image.png.90db57dc8f474dc20d5dcc3d8886b899.png

BTW, most of the S. Florida cities don't want the college spring break folks at their beach.  I wouldn't blame them if they don't clean/groom the beach quickly.  Discourage the crowds.

Edited by Ret MP
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

Same location, just a different angle.  Your picture shows the "Elbo Room" at the extreme left, lower.  This picture is from the Elbo Room, it is a snippet from a live webcam, just a few minutes ago.  Looks fairly well groomed to me.  

I should have put in:  This shot is not a very good view of the actual shoreline.  There may be some build-up of seaweed.  But, it isn't the disaster that some would like it to be.  And I'm sure that it will be groomed shortly if the city wants to OR is has already been groomed once today.  Ft. Lauderdale isn't a big spring break friendly city.  Having grown up there, I can vouch for that.

42 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

Looks like the tide is up some since I posted so much of the sargassum is currently in the surf.  This is live from higher up and looking straight out.  Yeah - the beach looks pretty quiet; everyone is down in Miami Beach! 😄

Seaweed2.jpg

• Like 1

That news story is clickbait. I just sailed through the middle of said blob twice last week as well as went to coco cay. No more seaweed then usual.  This is a natural phenomenon and has happened forever.  Some years better then others. There is no blob or carpet.  Just small patches less then a few feet across.  This is my beach in tampa fl i took right now.  No seaweed to speak of.  Dont believe the news,  they have lost their way.  

538A8EC5-6404-492F-B0E8-73CAD2BC1A08.jpeg

• Like 2