QM2-Royal Hawaian Liner - Celebrating an Anniversary

netcruiser

We celebrated our 25th Anniversary on this cruise. How surprised we were when Cunard put on a ceremony for married couples to renew their vows. Quite unexpected and very appropriate for us. The special greetings and sparkling wine awaiting us in our cabin was also a nice touch. The ship also sailed on the 25th!

After everything we read we had high expectations of the QM2 and weren't disappointed. It took us less than 30 minutes from the time we entered the check in center, just after 12 noon till we were on board. We could hardly believe it. Service all around was superb. The stateroom stewardess, Ophelia from South Africa was so young and always smiling. She never failed to greet us with kind words and took care of us so well. Service in all the restaurants was of a very high standard indeed. We particularly enjoyed the promptness of the meals served in the Britannia. We felt adopted by Brett, also from South Africa in the Kings Court as he always made sure we were well taken care off. The special dinner evening in Lotus and our visit to the Chefs Galley and Todd English were real treats. We've never tasted better English Pub food as in the Golden Lion. And the High Tea service in the Queens Court was outstanding. With so many servers around our plates and cups were filled constantly!

Compared to other ships the wide open spaces everywhere were a breath of fresh air. Although smoking was permitted in many areas, we did not seem to be bothered by it. We also met so many wonderful people on board, especially at meal times.

The only odd thing we found was that the access to the Queens Court Ballroom was not on the same level of either Deck 2 or 3. One either had to go up a flight of stairs from 2, or down a few stairs from 3 to a corridor on either side of the ship, followed by another few stairs up to arrive at the floor of this fantastic room. Cunard arranged lifts (elevators) in several locations at the front and rear of the ship that only jogged up or down a few stairs for those who could not climb stairs. But the trip to Queens Court was well worth it. Once inside, its scale compared favorably to any land based ballroom. Its ambience changed magically from the Bingo games during the day, to afternoon High Tea to the Ballroom Dancing events every evening. Unlike other cruise ships, the Captains Cocktail Party, and the formal Balls had the right room for these events.

In general, we found the quality of food excellent. The QM2 seemed to have the monopoly on really large strawberries! The size of the lobster tail dinner on our last Formal Night was larger than what we were used to on the Carnival ships. Our only regret was we missed the one and only evening where Indian food was served as the midnight snack offering. Seeing how popular Indian Cuisine is in England we're sure that Indian entrees in the main dining rooms would be well received.

Since the QM2 will be using its tenders more often at Ports any improvements in transitioning from the ship to the boats would be a huge benefit to the passengers. One of the ships photographer’s Augustine accompanied our group to Kona and captured us waiving for the DVD. He was one of the first to take our picture on deck when departing from LA and always remembered my wife Mary as the Lady in Red. She was wearing a red blouse that evening!

The Planetarium? Nothing like it. Not one, but TWO theatres - Illusions and Royal Court provided great choice in entertainment and food for the mind. The excellent library was on Deck 8 and would have been more appropriate close to the learning centers in the lower decks at the front of the ship. We especially enjoyed the Canyon Ranch Spa - an oasis of sheer relaxation. Considering that this ship boasted grand spaces, we found the Lobby to be quaint but cramped. The Grand Staircase was so close to the elevators that it seemed almost cramped. Also, the shopping areas were not as grand and spacious as we had expected.

Our complaints above were relatively minor compared to the overall enjoyment of sailing in the unique QM2. We've read that the Cunard Liners would gravitate to the Princess model. Perhaps in a few areas it may have, but only to improve service where it was needed. Overall there was no confusion between a Cunard Ocean Liner and a Princess Cruise Ship - not to say that Princess is not a wonderful way to cruise. We'd sail the QM2 again in a heartbeat!

Both these organizations share the same building for their headquarters in Valencia, Santa Clarita, just ten miles from where we live. To our chagrin we discovered these offices are not showrooms or open to customers. We had to book our cruise by phone and probably spoke to an agent from that building.

All good things must come to an end and the coach turned back into a pumpkin on the morning of March 8th when the disembarkation process went smoothly as expected.

Now that you've read our story we'd like to hear from others who sailed on the Royal Hawaiian Liner.

Wasn't on the Royal Hawaiian Liner but booked on the Southern Caribbean Liner in December 2006. Your cruise sounds wonderful and I am now really looking forward to our upcoming cruise on the QM2. Thanks for setting it all right!

Which QM2 Cruise are you booked on? You'll have a terrific time on this ship. Every evening is formal except for the first, last and Port days. We enjoyed dressing up. Our 17 year old son (unfortunately we had to take him along!) who hates dressing up wore a tux. Todd English and the Chefs Galley are the only places that charges extra. But well worh the money. Don't miss out on dining at least one evening at either the Lotus, Carvery or La Piazza sit-down, waiter served restaurants in the transformed Kings Court. Enjoy!

YOU BOOKED DIRECT?????????????

Wow!

As Past Guests on Carnival we received an Email of a special offer on the QM2. You probably know that the Carnival Corporation owns Cunard, Princess, Holland America, Costa Cruises and several other Cruise Brands. Our previous cruises have been on Carnival and looked forward to a different line. We've found that the special offers we receive beat the discount brokers, hence we book direct. This has been our experience and may not be always the case.

@ netcruiser

Hello, nice to read from your journey on QM2. We did the same to our 25 wedding anniversary last August on a crossing east to west. I just can agree with you in all points you mentioned. And we too are sure to be on the QM2 again in the near future because of all these things "not to be missed" * on a real interesting ship with a little history added.

Have you got some information about the missing pod and what really happend? Are the blades damaged or the main bearing and Motor?

Robert from Austria is looking forward to your reply

* see the tread "Whats not to be missed on the QM2"

As Past Guests on Carnival we received an Email of a special offer on the QM2. You probably know that the Carnival Corporation owns Cunard, Princess, Holland America, Costa Cruises and several other Cruise Brands. Our previous cruises have been on Carnival and looked forward to a different line. We've found that the special offers we receive beat the discount brokers, hence we book direct. This has been our experience and may not be always the case.

For future Cunard bookings you should find an agent who specializes in Cunard and knows how to use Cunard's proprietary reservation system.

Not only do they have group space, but promotions to which you are entitled come up in reservations when your telephone number or past passenger number is entered into the system.

And they do discount. You have to call. Agencies are not allowed to advertise THEIR lowest rates for Cunard sailings.

Which QM2 Cruise are you booked on? You'll have a terrific time on this ship. Every evening is formal except for the first, last and Port days. We enjoyed dressing up. Our 17 year old son (unfortunately we had to take him along!) who hates dressing up wore a tux. Todd English and the Chefs Galley are the only places that charges extra. But well worh the money. Don't miss out on dining at least one evening at either the Lotus, Carvery or La Piazza sit-down, waiter served restaurants in the transformed Kings Court. Enjoy!

Will be on the Dec 2/06 sailing out of Fort Lauderdale for seven days in the southern Caribbean. Visiting Barbados, St. Kitts and St. Thomas. None of which I have ever been to before.

Formal is fine with me - actually its one of the reasons I went for this cruise because I wanted to try the Cunard experience in style. I guess this just means I'll keep the stores happy this year as I shop towards my cruise date.

I sort of want to experience the Britishness of it all but I suspect it was mainly an American crowd on the Hawaii sailing and I suspect it will be the same in the Caribbean.

I figure one night we will definitely be doing Todd English. Are reservations only made once on board or can a passenger reserve before sailing. On Holland America one can pre-reserve dining in the Pinnacle Grill but I don't get that sense from the Cunard website. Oh I am also sure we'll be doing the Golden Lion Pub for lunch once or twice. My significant other is going oooh and ahhhh over Bangers and Mash and Fish and Chips. :) I'll likely be ooohing and ahhhing in the Britannia Restaurant playing Poseidon Adventure (he he he - thank god its only a movie!)

Anyway, I don't want to steal the spotlight from your Hawaiian cruise. It sounded like you approached it with realistic expectations and took everything as it was meant to be. Thanks for the review.

We had a great time on Royal Hawaiin Liner.

Check in was barely 20 minutes curb to room. I cheated and came a little early @ 12:00. I was afraid that they might run out of parking at the pier. This was my 2nd time on QM2, But the first for the others in my group. We really had a blast.

Our room attendant Recel was great. Always cheerful and helpful..

Our Britannia waiters Larry and Abel were friendly and did a wonderful job.

Also Hensel in Todd English offered great addvice on which dishes to have.

Our waitress in Lotus was top noch.

All of the food was really good..... The Britannia is really nice I love that room. I shudder to think what the meals I had in Todd English would cost on land.

The almost daily breakfast in bed really started to spoil us.

I tried to undo some of the calories by taking a very pleasant 1 mile stroll by going around 7 deck three times each morning.

Our cabin, an in Hull balcony was very comfortale. We enjoyed the ocean views and privacy. Also these are slightly bigger than the glass balconies on 8 deck and above.

I really liked the Commadore club. It was a quiet piano and jazz bar..

My 10 year old really enjoyed "the zone" and actually wanted to go there. Lots of acivities. Paul in the zone was great with all of the kids.

Not a lot on this trip but enough for my kid to play with.

I really enjoy the decor and art onboard QM2. It is sort of an understated ocean liner fantasy decor. I also love all of the Steven Card

paintings and other maritime art. I could spend all day on C stair way.

The layout of QM2 is so good that the ship does not seem as big as it is.

Also we all enjoyed the illuminations. The lectures by John Butler were really good. As well as the filmed programs there.

Bill Miller's onboard lectures in the Royal Theratre brought back the glory days of the ocean liner.....

We did not have as much sun as I had hoped but my son and I still really enjoyed the 3 pool areas. There is the pool under the dome, one

by Todd English, And one just for kids.

The only things that were not the best were the weather ( not Cunard's fault) and some confusion over dinner table mates. This was partly the fault of my T.A. I was offered another table but loved the location of mine....So did not switch. Also I used the alternatives a little more than usual

But the alternative dinning is very nice as well.

Our 11 days onboard went by way too fast. Before we knew it we were back in L.A. Debark was staggered and not stressful at all.

Hi netcruiser, We were at the vow renewal ceremony as well. Did we speak?

We were celebrating 20 years married (two weeks before the cruise, but close enough). Sandra was in a bright red and cream dress and I had a white tie and waistcoat.

Unfortunately we had to leave right after the ceremony as we had a crowd waiting in our cabin for a get-together. Did many stay and chat?

Regards, Colin.

@ netcruiser

Hello, nice to read from your journey on QM2. We did the same to our 25 wedding anniversary last August on a crossing east to west. I just can agree with you in all points you mentioned. And we too are sure to be on the QM2 again in the near future because of all these things "not to be missed" * on a real interesting ship with a little history added.

Have you got some information about the missing pod and what really happend? Are the blades damaged or the main bearing and Motor?

Robert from Austria is looking forward to your reply

* see the tread "Whats not to be missed on the QM2"

Hi Robert,

I understand that the the damage for the Pod at Ft. Lauderdale required emergency work to secure it that delayed that leg of the South America Cruise. I do not know details as to exactly what the extent of the damage was. Cunard have cancelled two cruises, one in May to remove and repair the Pod and one later in 2006 to reinstall the Pod. With three Pods the ship was able to maintain 26 Knots and kept schedule. Nice to know that you also celebrated your 25th on board the QM2.

Cheers!

Edwin

For future Cunard bookings you should find an agent who specializes in Cunard and knows how to use Cunard's proprietary reservation system.

Not only do they have group space, but promotions to which you are entitled come up in reservations when your telephone number or past passenger number is entered into the system.

And they do discount. You have to call. Agencies are not allowed to advertise THEIR lowest rates for Cunard sailings.

Good advice. Learned something today. Will take your advice on our next cruise.

Will be on the Dec 2/06 sailing out of Fort Lauderdale for seven days in the southern Caribbean. Visiting Barbados, St. Kitts and St. Thomas. None of which I have ever been to before.

Formal is fine with me - actually its one of the reasons I went for this cruise because I wanted to try the Cunard experience in style. I guess this just means I'll keep the stores happy this year as I shop towards my cruise date.

I sort of want to experience the Britishness of it all but I suspect it was mainly an American crowd on the Hawaii sailing and I suspect it will be the same in the Caribbean.

I figure one night we will definitely be doing Todd English. Are reservations only made once on board or can a passenger reserve before sailing. On Holland America one can pre-reserve dining in the Pinnacle Grill but I don't get that sense from the Cunard website. Oh I am also sure we'll be doing the Golden Lion Pub for lunch once or twice. My significant other is going oooh and ahhhh over Bangers and Mash and Fish and Chips. :) I'll likely be ooohing and ahhhing in the Britannia Restaurant playing Poseidon Adventure (he he he - thank god its only a movie!)

Anyway, I don't want to steal the spotlight from your Hawaiian cruise. It sounded like you approached it with realistic expectations and took everything as it was meant to be. Thanks for the review.

Not at all. I like the dialog generated. We were told that the demographics of our cruise was 1000 from the US, 600 from the UK and the remaiing 1000 from other countries. We noticed a strong German and European contingent as well as scattering from the Far East and other countries. The British (English, Scotland and Wales) accent seemed to be everywhere from the staff to voices on board.

Regardless, you will find the Britishness of the cruise very prominent. Enjoy!

Edwin

Hi netcruiser, We were at the vow renewal ceremony as well. Did we speak?

We were celebrating 20 years married (two weeks before the cruise, but close enough). Sandra was in a bright red and cream dress and I had a white tie and waistcoat.

Unfortunately we had to leave right after the ceremony as we had a crowd waiting in our cabin for a get-together. Did many stay and chat?

Regards, Colin.

Colin, Mary and I were the couple from India (originally) but have moved around to the UK, Canada and now California. We were sitting near the last row on the right. Like you we did not hang around but headed to the Britannia. I wish the cruise could have lasted a couple of more days like the slower ships! By the way, I have a brother in England called Colin. Cheers! Edwin

We had a great time on Royal Hawaiin Liner.

Check in was barely 20 minutes curb to room. I cheated and came a little early @ 12:00. I was afraid that they might run out of parking at the pier. This was my 2nd time on QM2, But the first for the others in my group. We really had a blast.

Our room attendant Recel was great. Always cheerful and helpful..

Our Britannia waiters Larry and Abel were friendly and did a wonderful job.

Also Hensel in Todd English offered great addvice on which dishes to have.

Our waitress in Lotus was top noch.

All of the food was really good..... The Britannia is really nice I love that room. I shudder to think what the meals I had in Todd English would cost on land.

The almost daily breakfast in bed really started to spoil us.

I tried to undo some of the calories by taking a very pleasant 1 mile stroll by going around 7 deck three times each morning.

Our cabin, an in Hull balcony was very comfortale. We enjoyed the ocean views and privacy. Also these are slightly bigger than the glass balconies on 8 deck and above.

I really liked the Commadore club. It was a quiet piano and jazz bar..

My 10 year old really enjoyed "the zone" and actually wanted to go there. Lots of acivities. Paul in the zone was great with all of the kids.

Not a lot on this trip but enough for my kid to play with.

I really enjoy the decor and art onboard QM2. It is sort of an understated ocean liner fantasy decor. I also love all of the Steven Card

paintings and other maritime art. I could spend all day on C stair way.

The layout of QM2 is so good that the ship does not seem as big as it is.

Also we all enjoyed the illuminations. The lectures by John Butler were really good. As well as the filmed programs there.

Bill Miller's onboard lectures in the Royal Theratre brought back the glory days of the ocean liner.....

We did not have as much sun as I had hoped but my son and I still really enjoyed the 3 pool areas. There is the pool under the dome, one

by Todd English, And one just for kids.

The only things that were not the best were the weather ( not Cunard's fault) and some confusion over dinner table mates. This was partly the fault of my T.A. I was offered another table but loved the location of mine....So did not switch. Also I used the alternatives a little more than usual

But the alternative dinning is very nice as well.

Our 11 days onboard went by way too fast. Before we knew it we were back in L.A. Debark was staggered and not stressful at all.

Sirwinston, enjoyed your post. We had so much luggage we hired a vanzine to cart us to the ship! Our son, Michael, finally hooked up with Paul and joined the kids group for the evening entertainment. He wore his tux and really surprised us. Glad you and your son also had a great time. Edwin

I agree that everything was fantastic on the Royal Hawaiian Liner!

Our embarkation (once we got through the traffic of people trying to see QM2) was swift. And departure was fun with the fire boat ahead and some friends on the dock to see us off.

I started almost every sea day with an early breakfast of fruit and cheese. I would migrate to a window seat in the Queen's room and read until yoga started. As our yoga instructor, Jess, said, "Every pose on an ocean liner is a balance pose." Some of the yoga was funny when the seas were really rough.

Our cabin was also an in-hull balcony, and it didn't feel cramped until we went to bed and unfolded the sofa for our third bed. I didn't realize that there wouldn't be any outlets in the bathroom. Our stewardess, Ingrid, was so friendly, and she was always there for anything we needed.

A "secret" breakfast option was to pop into Sir Samuel's for a pastry. The chocolate croissant were huge and yummy, and there were no smokers first thing in the morning.

King's Court for "second breakfast" and lunches: Paul was a real sweetheart, always chatting with me and making me feel welcome.

I didn't think I needed to go to Todd English, but SirWinston made reservations for us, and I am so glad! It was beyond all my expectations. If you go, be sure to try the asparagus and morrel tart...heaven!

We took our Golden Lion pub lunch out to the deck to eat, as there was smoking inside. The fish and chips was wonderful. The Ploughman's platter was tasty, but not super-special.

The lectures by Chris (John) Butler were great, and I got to sit by Colin for one of them! I really enjoyed the Rock at the Opera and a little "radio show" murder mystery put on by the Purser's crew.

Other special moments included playing Scrabble right above the water line, any time spent in the library, and what time I could get in deck chairs. The rough weather gave me mild nausea one day, but it was kind of fun and adventuresome to see the big waves.

Shawn and I had a couples hot stone massage, which was very relaxing. I'd have liked to have indulged in the spa a little more often!

I didn't find the shops to be extraordinary, but I enjoyed the little sales they set up in the hallway. I got a bracelet for $12, a pashmina and a purse for $10 each!

My absolute favorite moment of the whole cruise was the afternoon before we got to Honolulu. I was sitting in a deck chair, looking at the horizon, and reading a book. I heard a lovely voice asking if I would like tea! She had a tea cart and gave me tea sandwiches and cake. It was my fantasyland come true!

The tea in the Queen's room was lovely, but I thought the band was a little loud, and I was disappointed that there weren't any special little sandwiches with chutney or some such. Also, the scones were not outstanding and no clotted cream. But I have pretty high standards for teatime! :p

Dinners in the Brittania were very good. Our waiters, John and Hannah, got to know us right away. I wish I could have taken them home with me!

Any night that I didn't eat in the Brittania, I went to a buffet, so I never sampled the Lotus, Carvery, or Chef's Galley. When I was too tired (or full) for Brittania, I really didn't want to dress at all. Also, I'm allergic to shellfish, and I missed the opportunity to eat in the Chef's Galley on their non-shellfish night.

Overall, I would say it was a fantastic cruise!

Archived