PV beaches we leave Saturday 3/25/23.

Derbie

• Originally, we were going to head to Stone Beach, but our grandson is very much interested in history; therefore, we have decided to do a walking tour of Mazatlan. The four grandkids would like to do one beach day.  PV is our longest day in port.  We have Uber, so we can call cars for us to go back and forth; however, we don't mind walking if there is one not too far away.  Is there a nice safe beach, that we can go to, and pay to eat and drink and get chairs, restrooms?  I really don't want to pay $119 pp through Carnival for a day pass to a resort. I know there will be people selling trinkets, but hey...that is MX.  So, I am hoping you all can kindly make some recommendations.  

Thanks to all!

Along Playa los Muertes you will find various restaurants offering food, bathroom and chairs. Some of them like La Palapa, Eldorado and Si Señor are more upscale and also offer loungers at a surcharge, plus of course the charge for food and drinks. . As far as I know you can make reservations for that.

Near the pier a.o. is Cuates and Cuetes, offer good food but is more a regular beach restaurant. I just names a few, there are of course more restaurants out there.  Please be aware the ocean most of the time is rather quiet, but also can be rather rough. Never trust an ocean if you are not used to it. 

Edited by Ine

7 hours ago, Ine said:

Along Playa los Muertes you will find various restaurants offering food, bathroom and chairs. Some of them like La Palapa, Eldorado and Si Señor are more upscale and also offer loungers at a surcharge, plus of course the charge for food and drinks. . As far as I know you can make reservations for that.

Near the pier a.o. is Cuates and Cuetes, offer good food but is more a regular beach restaurant. I just names a few, there are of course more restaurants out there.  Please be aware the ocean most of the time is rather quiet, but also can be rather rough. Never trust an ocean if you are not used to it. 

I sincerely thank you for taking the time to reply with this valuable information!

• Like 1

If you get the chance to go with your son AND the grandkids in Mazatlan go to the Observatorio directly across from the El Faro lighthouse climb, at the cruise port and commercial port end of town.  It is an original military observatory with amazing views in all directions  - wonderful history, and also a tropical bird (toucan, parakeet, macaw, flamingo) aviary you can go inside and interact with the birds who are rehabilitated although they cannot be released back to the wild.  It's not a bird trick show, although there are a couple tame enough to get close and can be fed a treat or will sit on your head or shoulder.  Also lots of iguanas that you go above on skybridge walkways.  You can find out about tequila traditionally made, and more info about the site with a good grassy park area to run around in and a small bar for a drink as you overlook the port and town side.  Lots of things young grandkids would like with the military history 10 minute film about the place for the adults.  You ride up/down in a funicular (price included in entrance) or if you are strong of lung & leg you can walk up through the tropical gardens.  We really enjoyed it.  Just got back home yesterday.

• Like 1

Friends of ours use the DiDi app in Mazatlan - like Uber but takes MX cash only.  Cheaper.  I had it downloaded but didn't use it as we just took the buses everywhere for 13 pesos each.  Same cost all the way from one end of town to the other ie we were by the Marina in the North end just past the Golden Zone, closer to the airport and we went all the way to El Faro and Observatorio in the south end by the port on one fare.  No transfers though as all the buses are privately owned and run by their drivers who pay the union to get their routes.  Sabalo-Centro bus route will take you from the Port area thru the center of town to the Cathedral and bandshell and historical centre then join the Malecon frontage road all the way thru the golden zone and on up to the northern marina.  This route has all new, modern, air con, long distance style buses.  Easy to use - flag the bus down anywhere along the road or sit at a bus stop, your choice.

9 hours ago, canadjineh said:

If you get the chance to go with your son AND the grandkids in Mazatlan go to the Observatorio directly across from the El Faro lighthouse climb, at the cruise port and commercial port end of town.  It is an original military observatory with amazing views in all directions  - wonderful history, and also a tropical bird (toucan, parakeet, macaw, flamingo) aviary you can go inside and interact with the birds who are rehabilitated although they cannot be released back to the wild.  It's not a bird trick show, although there are a couple tame enough to get close and can be fed a treat or will sit on your head or shoulder.  Also lots of iguanas that you go above on skybridge walkways.  You can find out about tequila traditionally made, and more info about the site with a good grassy park area to run around in and a small bar for a drink as you overlook the port and town side.  Lots of things young grandkids would like with the military history 10 minute film about the place for the adults.  You ride up/down in a funicular (price included in entrance) or if you are strong of lung & leg you can walk up through the tropical gardens.  We really enjoyed it.  Just got back home yesterday.

I had originally booked an excursion with Princess to go to the observatory, but they canceled it and took it off their excursion list!  How did you get there and how much did it all cost?

I just now read your second post... hahaha! 

Edited by Amy G

1 hour ago, Amy G said:

I had originally booked an excursion with Princess to go to the observatory, but they canceled it and took it off their excursion list!  How did you get there and how much did it all cost?

I just now read your second post... hahaha! 

You can walk to the lighthouse. There is an elevated sidewalk most of the way. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, pinto18 said:

I feel like Stone Island is a better beach for kids than ones I have seen in PV...maybe you can switch your "historical" day to PV

My husband has had two heart attacks since 2020.  He walks a lot so I am not afraid of the walking, etc.  But, I thought someone posted a picture of the walk to the lighthouse and it was quite a climb.  Am I mixing this up with another spot?  Thanks!

On 3/19/2023 at 11:51 PM, canadjineh said:

Many thanks for the information.  As I stated in a post further below yours, my husband has had two heart attacks since 2020.  He walks miles each day on his job, but I do worry about a hard climb.  I may be mixing up the climb to the top; although, the other family members could take the walk and we could stay behind.  

On 3/20/2023 at 2:56 PM, pinto18 said:

I feel like Stone Island is a better beach for kids than ones I have seen in PV...maybe you can switch your "historical" day to PV

I think we decided on Stone Island for our beach day.  Can you advise which restaurant area you enjoyed the most?  Also, have any idea on the cost of the wave runners?  I think the grandkids would enjoy this.   Many thanks!

2 hours ago, Derbie said:

I think we decided on Stone Island for our beach day.  Can you advise which restaurant area you enjoyed the most?  Also, have any idea on the cost of the wave runners?  I think the grandkids would enjoy this.   Many thanks!

We always go to Lety's...it is a ways down the beach so keep walking till you see the sign. Great coconut shrimp! But also there are tons of other places that are probably good and most will have chairs etc to use.

Not sure on cost of wave runners