Single balcony cabins on P&O Aurora

Christie Malry

I'm looking to book a cruise next year to Norway, and there's a particular port I'd like to visit. I've never booked a cruise before and I'm a little confused by how opaque the whole pricing structure seems to be.

I'm a solo traveler and I've decided I really want a balcony, because when I am tired of being with other people, which will happen, I want a quiet, private space to drink tea, read a book and watch the scenery.

It turns out that a Single Balcony is actually about £20 more expensive than a Standard Balcony. So clearly the standard is a better deal. But if I want to select my own cabin I have to pay a whopping £530 extra for Select vs Early Saver. This gets me parking worth £210 (but with cheaper options available) and onboard credit of £125. So therefore nearly £200 to pick a cabin and have a bit more flexibility around dining times. Is this just a rip-off or am I missing something?

So I thought if I go for Early Saver a Standard Balcony could be in lots of different places and I'd be disappointed to get one with a poor view. But with Single Balcony there are only a few on the ship all in the same place, so no risk of getting one that's worse than others, so the Select fare is pointless. But then I found out the Single cabins have steel-framed balconies where you only get a view when standing up, which kind of ruins my lazing with a book watching the sea fantasy. Does anyone have any experience of exactly what they are like? Should I just suck up the extra money for Select so I don't have to worry?

I know compared to many people I'm very fortunate, but a holiday like this is a big outlay for me (I'm more used to camping than cruising!) and I want to enjoy it as much as possible.

Thank you!

1 hour ago, Christie Malry said:

I'm looking to book a cruise next year to Norway, and there's a particular port I'd like to visit. I've never booked a cruise before and I'm a little confused by how opaque the whole pricing structure seems to be.

I'm a solo traveler and I've decided I really want a balcony, because when I am tired of being with other people, which will happen, I want a quiet, private space to drink tea, read a book and watch the scenery.

It turns out that a Single Balcony is actually about £20 more expensive than a Standard Balcony. So clearly the standard is a better deal. But if I want to select my own cabin I have to pay a whopping £530 extra for Select vs Early Saver. This gets me parking worth £210 (but with cheaper options available) and onboard credit of £125. So therefore nearly £200 to pick a cabin and have a bit more flexibility around dining times. Is this just a rip-off or am I missing something?

So I thought if I go for Early Saver a Standard Balcony could be in lots of different places and I'd be disappointed to get one with a poor view. But with Single Balcony there are only a few on the ship all in the same place, so no risk of getting one that's worse than others, so the Select fare is pointless. But then I found out the Single cabins have steel-framed balconies where you only get a view when standing up, which kind of ruins my lazing with a book watching the sea fantasy. Does anyone have any experience of exactly what they are like? Should I just suck up the extra money for Select so I don't have to worry?

I know compared to many people I'm very fortunate, but a holiday like this is a big outlay for me (I'm more used to camping than cruising!) and I want to enjoy it as much as possible.

Thank you!

Go for standard if you can, all have good views.  I am on Aurora now in ocean view as  would not use balcony in March to Norway ( minus 9 yesterday!). I have a single balcony in July as that is all they had left. They have steel frames but a glass front. They, oddly, have twin beds which cannot be converted to queens! Select is worth it if not too much more cost. Good luck.

Hello Christie. Like Fionboard, I also travel solo a lot and choose a balcony for the same reasons as you. I try to book a standard on Select if price permits, simply for the space it gives me. I like to have a bit of room to move around and actually spend quite a bit of time in my room. I have only ever seen one of the single balconies, on Britannia, and I thought it was very cramped - too cramped for me anyway. If you can stretch to it, go for the standard balcony - you won’t regret it. Best wishes. Jane xx

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Christie Malry said:

Thanks very much for the replies. So if I go for a standard balcony cabin do you any advice on the best location on Aurora.

I chose a cabin as near to the mid ships on C deck when in a standard balcony cabin on Aurora and always chose a cabin between the forward and aft lifts as can feel the motion of the ocean at times.
I am also a solo traveller and have always found these cabins lovely.

• Like 1

Slightly off topic as I've never had a balcony cabin on Aurora but you mention that there is a specific port you want to visit. Please be aware (if you are not already), that no port is guaranteed. Last Summer was not a good one for Norway, with a lot of high winds. This led to quite a few missed ports as the wind meant it wasn't safe to dock. Additionally, P&O seem to have been making a number of alterations to their itineraries of late.

On the plus side, most ports in Norway are lovely.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Britboys said:

Slightly off topic as I've never had a balcony cabin on Aurora but you mention that there is a specific port you want to visit. Please be aware (if you are not already), that no port is guaranteed. Last Summer was not a good one for Norway, with a lot of high winds. This led to quite a few missed ports as the wind meant it wasn't safe to dock. Additionally, P&O seem to have been making a number of alterations to their itineraries of late.

On the plus side, most ports in Norway are lovely.

In the last 18 months, 3 cruises, 4 missed ports.  One (Vigo - high winds) we were quite happy to miss, having been there several times.  Missed Valencia due to a marathon.  Lisbon due to pilot strike action and Fuertaventura due to high winds. Nature of the beast.  Missed port cover paid out though.

Thanks, I do realise no port is guaranteed. The place I particularly want to visit is Skjolden, where there's a wooden house by the lake built by the philosopher Ludwig Wittgenstein; he came there periodically to escape and be able to think amid what he called the 'quiet seriousness' of the landscape. The house  was actually moved into the village for a while after he died but has now been restored and put back in its original location. I'd love to visit it (Wittgenstein is one my heroes and his philosophy has definitely had a huge impact in how I understand the world) but it wouldn't ruin the trip if it didn't happen. In fact it would give me an excuse to go to Norway another time!

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Christie Malry said:

Thanks, I do realise no port is guaranteed. The place I particularly want to visit is Skjolden, where there's a wooden house by the lake built by the philosopher Ludwig Wittgenstein; he came there periodically to escape and be able to think amid what he called the 'quiet seriousness' of the landscape. The house  was actually moved into the village for a while after he died but has now been restored and put back in its original location. I'd love to visit it (Wittgenstein is one my heroes and his philosophy has definitely had a huge impact in how I understand the world) but it wouldn't ruin the trip if it didn't happen. In fact it would give me an excuse to go to Norway another time!

I am due to visit Skjolden myself aboard Aurora this summer.