New to NCL - Dining questions - Prima 8/6/23

mlaw8

Hi - We've been on a few Disney cruises, but are new to NCL and will be on the 8/6/23 Prima cruise to Norway/Iceland in a non-Haven SJ suite with our family of 4 (kids are 17 and 14).  My understanding is that my wife and I both receive 2 specialty meals as part of the FAS package and the kids get none.  We are trying to ensure we visit the best restaurants and buy/use the right Specialty Dining package.

We are thinking the 4 of us eat at Cagney's, Hasuki, and Food Republic, and only my wife and I eat at Le Bistro and Palomar.  Any others that you'd recommend we not miss?

Do I understand correctly that at Food Republic, using 2 dining credits, we'd be able to order 8 items?  If that is the case and enough food for us, would the kids need to use/pay anything here (i.e., can you make a reservation for 4 people, but only use 2 dining credits)?

Assuming my understanding of FR is correct (and we don't add any others), we'll need a total 14 meals, have 4 included, so will need to purchase 10 more.  Can you purchase a package of 10 meals in my name and use them across all 4 of us or does everyone need their own?  Does this include kids?  The reason I ask is that it appears that the per meal cost decreases as you go up the number of meals.  Also, I will have OBC credit to use and am wondering how much more expensive the meal packages are on board vs pre-paying now?

Anything else to consider from this regard?

Thanks in advance

• Like 1

You are correct with Food Republic.  You will get  4 items per a credit so 8 items total that you can share.  

For the amount of credits that you will need to buy, the package will need to be under each persons name and you can't transfer between people.  I would suggest 2 credit packages for the kids and 3 credits for you and your wife.  

2 hours ago, happilytorn said:

Is there a reason you are trying to avoid dining in the main dining room? I'm new to Prima (going in two weeks). Is the MDR that bad?

MDR is not bad at all...many people eat there nightly. But others enjoy trying the specialty dining options.  And the Indulge Food Hall (free) is great at dinner time.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mlaw8 said:

Hi - We've been on a few Disney cruises, but are new to NCL and will be on the 8/6/23 Prima cruise to Norway/Iceland in a non-Haven SJ suite with our family of 4 (kids are 17 and 14).  My understanding is that my wife and I both receive 2 specialty meals as part of the FAS package and the kids get none.  We are trying to ensure we visit the best restaurants and buy/use the right Specialty Dining package.

We are thinking the 4 of us eat at Cagney's, Hasuki, and Food Republic, and only my wife and I eat at Le Bistro and Palomar.  Any others that you'd recommend we not miss?

Do I understand correctly that at Food Republic, using 2 dining credits, we'd be able to order 8 items?  If that is the case and enough food for us, would the kids need to use/pay anything here (i.e., can you make a reservation for 4 people, but only use 2 dining credits)?

Assuming my understanding of FR is correct (and we don't add any others), we'll need a total 14 meals, have 4 included, so will need to purchase 10 more.  Can you purchase a package of 10 meals in my name and use them across all 4 of us or does everyone need their own?  Does this include kids?  The reason I ask is that it appears that the per meal cost decreases as you go up the number of meals.  Also, I will have OBC credit to use and am wondering how much more expensive the meal packages are on board vs pre-paying now?

Dining packages are tied to specific people and are non-transferable (specifically to prevent what you are planning). So, no, you can not buy 10 meals and share them. Each person will have to buy the required number of meals. In fact, if you are on a 7-night cruise, you can buy a maximum of 7 meals. If you are buying 3 additional meals for you and your wife, then buy the 3-meal package. And two 2-meal packages for your kids. Everyone needs their own. 

The dining packages are not discounted, so buy now or buy on the ship and add to the onboard bill. Your choice. 

We also really enjoy the Indulge Food Hall for both lunch and dinner (a couple of the stalls have different dinner menus). We have sailed on the Prima twice. 

The links below are to menus (there have been a few updates since) and to our most recent cruise in December (live post). 

Edited by BirdTravels