Madeira Funchal

carajady

Hi we are stopping here on our upcoming cruise and we wanted to do the toboggan and cable car but we have a 6month old with us and obviously walking there from the ship we will need to take a buggy my question is can we still do this with a buggy i.e. how will they get it down also is the walk back from the end of the toboggan doable with a buggy . Thank You

how will they get it down also is the walk back from the end of the toboggan doable with a buggy

This is a very specific question, and for an accurate answer, I think you would need to contact the Funchal Tourist Information Office, or, if such a thing exists, would there be some sort of union or Society  or official body of some description for the toboggan runners.  Should there be, I expect an internet search would find it if you look.

When we came off the toboggan part way down the hill, we didn't see any buses or taxis so walked down the rest of the way. That road was extremely steep, (as are many Madeiran roads) and we had to lean slightly backwards most of the way for balance, and when we finally reached the lower street level, our legs were aching.

If you left the buggy at the top while you rode down,(unsupervised?)  I think you would need to take a taxi back up to the top to retrieve it as it would be a truly awful uphill walk on foot.  That should be another question for you to ask. part way downhill we saw several toboggans being loaded onto a trailer to be driven back up  to the top .

Have you seen online images of the toboggans?  They are really only wicker bench type seating with a front space for legs and feet, and the runners stand on a ledge directly behind the seated riders.  i don't remember any additional space.There are also no safety belts or other safety measures that are obvious, including brakes.  The runners use their feet as brakes.

Maybe others reading this have different recollections. which would be more helpful to you.

Hi i and my daughters have already done the toboggan run but on part of a guided tour we are redoing this cruise with the baby as it was the last one we did with my lovely mum who passed away from Covid 2 years ago we always had a girls cruise every year so we thought we would bring the new edition with us as he is 9 months old so we wanted a new picture to put with her one at home baby will be strapped to mum i think that might be the way to go i forgot about the sling its been a long time since i had to think about those sort of things . Many Thanks for the reply x

Hi i and my daughters have already done the toboggan runIf you have already experienced a toboggan run, maybe you could ask if you could have a photo of you, plus bab,y sitting on one at the top without actually doing the run.

Whether or not you do the actual run, you could still go up to Monte as it is quite pretty up there with views and a botanical garden to visit.

You also don't have to take the chair lift both ways as public buses run up there from Funchal.