Why doesn't RCI do this?

Guest cvbart
Sorry, those complaints IMO are not really heard of on RCCL, we have adult only pool, we have restaurants with age limits (even if there wasn't i never experienced rawkous behavior from any child or children in any of the restaurants, maybe your thinking Carnival?). To make half the ship non smoking is pretty much losing a big chunk of money to competition, that is why CCL Paradise is no longer smoke-free, they lost too much money.

But not much longer. More and more people are giving up smoking and before long they will lose business by allowing smoking.:)

Guest cvbart

Why would it not happen? I sure would support it and would even pay extra for a non smoking ship.

Smokers are a dying breed. (No pun intended)

I Some people are funny, they enjoy themselves on a cruise, and keep cruising, but they feel the need to complain or criticize about something (anything) to be happy!

:D I so agree....Imagine being able to cruise and complain!! what a wonderful world!!:cool:

Norwegian Cruise Line tried the concept of non-smoking cabins on the portside and smoking allowed cabins on the starboard side some years ago.

It wasn't very successful, as they sometimes had an abundance of non-smoking cabins left over or vice versa, depending on the sailing.

I don't smoke, and I have never had a problem with a smoky cabin on any ship.

Ginnie

Guest cvbart
Norwegian Cruise Line tried the concept of non-smoking cabins on the portside and smoking allowed cabins on the starboard side some years ago.

It wasn't very successful, as they sometimes had an abundance of non-smoking cabins left over or vice versa, depending on the sailing.

I don't smoke, and I have never had a problem with a smoky cabin on any ship.

Ginnie

I'll bet if they tried it today the results would be much different. In the US the number of smokers is dropping fast.:)

In the cruise world there are things being done to control smokers, it's just that some don't obey the rules. RCI already has a smoking and non-smoking side of the ship...but certain people choose to smoke when and where they want, and one cigarette smoker can spoil it for a whole bunch. How much can Royal Caribbean really control...think about those 10 items or less at the grocery store...when have you ever seen that enforced...the only people that speak up about it are the customers, you never see anyone at the store come over and ask the customer with 20 items to move to a different line...why because it would offend that customer and a store needs customers...same goes for RCI. That's why there are saved chairs at the pool area! Smoking is the same.

There is an adult only pool in the spa area...so adults who don't want children around can enjoy that area.

As far as restaurant dinning...I don't think what you are suggesting is legal...I think it may boarder on discrimination...however it would be lovely if there was a special restaurant for chidren (when I used to travel as a child there was and my brother and I used to love going there and seeing all our friends, the waiters knew us and it was great! And on special nights we would eat with our parents, that was a real special deal!)

I personally wish that RCI would not nickel and dime us to death, that is the only wish I have...it's so annoying to have to be charged for a meal at a dinner, now that is just too ridiculas!:eek:

Now I've had my say!

Cvbart,

The reason I said that it won't happen as far as non-smoking, is that as mentioned previously Carnival had a ship that was totally non-smoking and it wasn't sailing full as their other ships, so now it is a smoking ship as all others.

I agree that there are fewer people smoking these days. I feel there is nothing worse than a "reformed smoker." I say that because I am one and I do find cigarette smoke offensive and I hate having gone somewhere where smoking is allowed and the next morning smell the smoke on my clothes etc. I know restaurants, at least here in Florida, are all non-smoking and I guess I shouldn't say that cruise ships never will be non-smoking, but I don't expect that it will happen for a good number of years.

But not much longer. More and more people are giving up smoking and before long they will lose business by allowing smoking.:)

Actually , NO. I don't know what group or company did the study but, it has maintained for the last 10 years, meaning the growth of smoking is not going up, but not going down anymore as well, it leveled off, look it up, seriously. ;)

I'll bet if they tried it today the results would be much different. In the US the number of smokers is dropping fast.:)

Again, no it is not!!! look it up!!!! For the last 10-15 years it has been level, it has not gone up or down, only thing that has gone up is complaints. No joke.

Another thing, none of you will believe, second hand smoke has NEVER been proven to cause health hazards or cancer, how do I know? I watched a one hour special on showtime called B#LLSH#T. Hosted by Penn and Teller. That study was and is totally baseless but yet companies and advertisers for anti-smoking still use the phony data!!!!! Look up second hand smoke, Penn and Teller, it will still come up on Google. I find it funny how that "truth" commercial seeks it, but yet does not tell it. (The truth that is)

Guest cvbart
Another thing, none of you will believe, second hand smoke has NEVER been proven to cause health hazards or cancer, how do I know? I watched a one hour special on showtime called B#LLSH#T. Hosted by Penn and Teller. That study was and is totally baseless but yet companies and advertisers for anti-smoking still use the phony data!!!!! Look up second hand smoke, Penn and Teller, it will still come up on Google.

You are so right. I get all my medical advice from Penn and Teller:)

Umm iI know I am, it was an in depth 1 hour special, they showed all the docs, everything, it was not a comedy show, its a show about deceit in the US, so yes I am right. Is that it? Im just telling the truth, That does hit hard to the anti-smoking crowd, that is pretty much there defense, second hand smoke kills, oh yeah? prove it because it hasn't been proven yet. I'm sorry for the tone most of you are reading this post in, not my intent, but seriously that second hand smoke study was madeup, no lie.

Been on a couple of these cruises and really don't care for them that much. Kids were running amok.

I don't know why they don't have 'family cruising' weeks and 'adult' only cruising weeks.

Smoking should only be allowed on deck ONLY. Personally, I enjoy a ship with a smaller passenger capacity.

Guest cvbart

If smoke becomes a problem for me on any cruise I will simply take my business somewhere else. Or choose a type of vacation where I am not subjected to other peoples smoke.

The hard core cruises out here will cruise smoking or non smoking and will always defend the cruise line so there is no real reason for them to change.

I live in California and one of the things I really like about it is the stong anti smoking laws. Out here at least smokers rights are pretty much dead.

In San Diego they just banned smoking anywhere in the ballpark. Times are changing:)

Beer and wine soon to be banned at all indoor and outdoor events, alot of people are dying in car accidents, sirosis, alcoholism..... See where this is going? Our government does way to much for the claim" good for the people"...... Rights keep slipping right on front of our eyes, our society is too passive, noone sees the ramifications of it either......

Been on a couple of these cruises and really don't care for them that much. Kids were running amok.

I don't know why they don't have 'family cruising' weeks and 'adult' only cruising weeks.

Smoking should only be allowed on deck ONLY. Personally, I enjoy a ship with a smaller passenger capacity.

Well the reason why they probably won´t do it is they try to cater extremely to y younger and family oriented crowd.

Look at all their advertisement. They want to get Families on board and they even have the Family suites.

My take on this is it´s never a good business idea to ban or sort out special groups liek kids, families, old people, smokers, ............

Doing this even for special cruises /cruise weeks will always result in a smaller range of people that can be attracted to the product.

So it´s harder to sell it. It might work on a couple of cruises when you start out on the idea but in general I believe people have other preferences first when they choose a cruise, like date, destination, departure port, ship, ....

On the other hand the ships are sailing almost full or at full capacity right now and so there is no reason to change anything as it does not look like they are loosing a significant amount of customers by allowing smoking in the cabins or having kids onboard, etc.

Actually , NO. I don't know what group or company did the study but, it has maintained for the last 10 years, meaning the growth of smoking is not going up, but not going down anymore as well, it leveled off, look it up, seriously. ;)

No . . . given your other posts, I know you won't believe it, but the US CDC reports 20.5% of American's smoke as of December 2005 vs. 29% in 1991 and 44% in 1964. Steady decline . . . confirmed by statistics, tobacco company sales and revenue reports, and media reporting. Three very unrelated sources confirming the same thing. Smoking is steadily declining.

No . . . given your other posts, I know you won't believe it, but the US CDC reports 20.5% of American's smoke as of December 2005 vs. 29% in 1991 and 44% in 1964. Steady decline . . . confirmed by statistics, tobacco company sales and revenue reports, and media reporting. Three very unrelated sources confirming the same thing. Smoking is steadily declining.

Also, tell me the stats between 95 and 2005 please. What is the difference of percent on year 1995, and the percent of 2005. Could you also provide those links. I really want to know 1995 percent vs 2005, I want to know year by year from your source.

Here is 1 link about teen smoking, one genre of people, there is no longer a decline, monitoringthefuture.org/pressreleases/05cigpr.pdf

this link talks about how smoking steadied in the 90s

http://www.rwjf.org/research/researchdetail.jsp?id=1228&ia=143 - 35k

Just so you dont think I'm making it up, and like I said, CBS evening news months back did a story similar to the second link about smokers not declining like it was, but maintaining.

Also, tell me the stats between 95 and 2005 please. What is the difference of percent on year 1995, and the percent of 2005. Could you also provide those links. I really want to know 1995 percent vs 2005, I want to know year by year, from 95 to 2005.

Ok . . . if you insist -- CDC's "1995 National Survey on Drug Abuse and Tobacco Related Statistics" reported that "61 million Americans were current smokers in 1995. This represents a smoking rate of 29 percent"

So that is 29% in 1995 vs. 20.5% in 2005 according to the same source (US CDC) statistics. So actually, it was fairly level from 1991 to 1995, but has fallen over the last 10 years.

For a really good look, refer to the 550 page (especially page 274) book "Health, United States, 2005 with Chartbook on Trends in the Health of Americans" published by the US Department of Health and Human Services. You'll find detailed statistics and percentages for a broad range of years and see it broken out by background, ethnicity, education level, gender, and more.

As for revenue reports, they're public information -- go look at any of the US SEC Form 10-Q Quarterly Reports of tobacco companies (like RJ Reynolds Tobacco Holdings, Inc.) to see decline of year over year sales.

Guest cvbart
Beer and wine soon to be banned at all indoor and outdoor events, alot of people are dying in car accidents, sirosis, alcoholism..... See where this is going? Our government does way to much for the claim" good for the people"...... Rights keep slipping right on front of our eyes, our society is too passive, noone sees the ramifications of it either......

I don't see where it's going.

I can still drink a beer at the ballpark...or a cruise ship. And no one is trying to take my car away.

Our state smoking laws in California are strongly supported.

And right now you can still smoke on a cruise ship...just don't sit next to me please.

Sorry. but maybe it's just time to quit smoking and save the money for a bottle of win or a new car... or a cruise:)

Not to start any problems, but when people complain of others smoking on balconys next to them 'all the time', how is that possible? I mean, unless the two of you are the only two people on the cruise who refuse to leave your rooms, then you can't both be out there together 'all the time'. If it is that difficult, then figure out when these people aren't in the room and switch around your schedule. I mean, it's perfectly legal for them to smoke on their balcony. So get an inside or ocean view cabin if you are so scared of that happening. I know, you'll say "why should I not be able to have a balcony just because someone else is smoking?". Fine, but you can't have it both ways. If you want a balcony and someone is smoking next to you, then you will have to change your schedule to suit yourself. The smoker isn't doing anything wrong. And no, I don't smoke.

Also, I would pay for no children, for sure. I would also pay a lot more for more time at ports, too.

Melody

So I should get an inside cabin because I don't want someone blowing smoke in my 1 year olds face? Wow!! That is interesting. The reason we got a balcony is so we could still enjoy the cruise, but not distrub people in the dining room with a screaming baby, be able to have the balcony door open while we sat in the room with him as he napped (to keep him from becoming a fussy bunny). But WE are the Wrong ones? Not the folks blowing their smoke into someone else's space? They can go smoke all over the ship, we are willing to confine ourselves to our cabin to not disturb others. And, if he did get fussy, we would take him to a space where he wouldn't hinder other folks good time - why can't smokers do the same things?

Now that is very interesting.

Archived