P&O Cruise Numbers explained

pharaohmcr

Hi guys, newbie here! I've tried to find some information about the following online, but haven't managed to find anything useful so far.

I've booked on a Norwegian Fjord cruise in September and the cruise number is G332P. I was looking at similar cruises around the same time and noticed that these largely had codes Gnnn (i.e. without the 'P' suffix). Looking on the website, I noticed a few other cruises with different letter suffixes.

So I was just wondering - does anyone have any idea what these suffixes mean? Curiosity has really got the better of me here!

A suffix is added for one of three reasons.

Either it’s a part cruise - so a 14 night Britannia Caribbean cruise B401 may have two one week options B401A and B401B.

Or it’s a cruise that starts on either a Friday or Saturday, so 14 night Arvia cruise on the Friday is K401 but Saturday is K401A.

These numbers are normally ABCDEs. World cruise sectors are numbered differently.

Finally, each cruise is numbered sequentially. When a cruise is changed, it needs a new unique cruise number, say Baltic cancelled and replaced with Med cruise, the replacement uses a N, P or R suffix so as to differentiate.

With this last category, it’s worth noting that dry docks, charters etc get cruise numbers and they always start with just the standard form G123.

Sometimes, a cruise is changed before it even goes on sale therefore the cruise number may be advertised as G123P from day one.

Its absolutely no cause for concern.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Ah, many thanks for the speedy and detailed reply - handy to know for future reference and certainly answers the question that was stuck in my head for while! Given it's the last Fjord cruise of the season for Iona before it heads to the Med, I'm assuming they either decided to extend the Fjord season by one more cruise, or they had to alter the itinerary slightly - noticed that there's a couple of variations on the 7 night Fjord loop in the weeks before.

3 hours ago, pharaohmcr said:

Hi guys, newbie here! I've tried to find some information about the following online, but haven't managed to find anything useful so far.

I've booked on a Norwegian Fjord cruise in September and the cruise number is G332P. I was looking at similar cruises around the same time and noticed that these largely had codes Gnnn (i.e. without the 'P' suffix). Looking on the website, I noticed a few other cruises with different letter suffixes.

So I was just wondering - does anyone have any idea what these suffixes mean? Curiosity has really got the better of me here!

Here is another Baffling bit of info about cruise ships i never ever found out the answer to, the deck No's go up the way and the Deck letters go down the way. So beware in lifts.

4 hours ago, Cpt Pugwash said:

Here is another Baffling bit of info about cruise ships i never ever found out the answer to, the deck No's go up the way and the Deck letters go down the way. So beware in lifts.

Iona and Arvia have done away with lettering the decks to avoid confusion.

• Like 1