Am I understanding this correctly?

sharonna3

I have been reading and reading and reading all about Travel Insurance. Am I understanding it? I have a group of friends and family members going on Carnival Liberty April 2007. So certain group insurances don't apply because there are family members.

You don't have to purchase some policies (ex. Travelex) until just before you make final payment that will cover everything plus pre-existing. It states there is "14 day wait if premium paid by final trip payment" and this means what? Nothing can happen within 14 days, yet you have to repost within 72 hours?????

No need to purchase prior since you are fully refundable prior to final payment date anyway and insurance is not refundable. right?

Am I understanding this correctly? Am I missing something? Should I forget the group policy and stick with each family individually? Should I just purchase through Carnival and be done with it? Can someone suggest a better company?

And last but not least....I booked through a TA why? I'm doing all the work. :( Sorry just had a brief passing moments need to vent.

Your advise and suggestions are so appreciated.

Smiles,

Sharonna

I have been reading and reading and reading all about Travel Insurance. Am I understanding it? I have a group of friends and family members going on Carnival Liberty April 2007. So certain group insurances don't apply because there are family members.

You don't have to purchase some policies (ex. Travelex) until just before you make final payment that will cover everything plus pre-existing. It states there is "14 day wait if premium paid by final trip payment" and this means what? Nothing can happen within 14 days, yet you have to repost within 72 hours?????

No need to purchase prior since you are fully refundable prior to final payment date anyway and insurance is not refundable. right?

Am I understanding this correctly? Am I missing something? Should I forget the group policy and stick with each family individually? Should I just purchase through Carnival and be done with it? Can someone suggest a better company?

And last but not least....I booked through a TA why? I'm doing all the work. :( Sorry just had a brief passing moments need to vent.

Smiles,

Sharonna

Most Insurance does not cover you when you are out of the country.

What time of the year are you cruising?

We cruise in October and insurance covers the complete trip. I buy insurance early because it will not cover Trip Cancellation or Interruption if Hurricane or tropical storm has been named.

Get a new TA!

Check this site for insurance: http://www.insuremytrip.com

A good one is:Travelex - TraveLite

Put in the total for the complete trip Air + Cruise.

Smiles,

Sharonna

I don't know the difference between group and individual insurance, but read the fine print carefully! If you are travelling "with" family and friends, some insurance companies consider them your travelling companions and some don't - the cheapest usually only consider people your travelling companions if you are in the same cabin with them. So, if something happens to one of the people you are travelling with and you don't (or can't) continue your cruise for your own personal reasons, and the insurance policy doesn't consider them to be your travelling companion, you are out of luck even if you have trip interruption insurance.

As far as the prior to final payment and 14 day wait - usually those policies will cover for pre-existing conditions that were pre-existing but you didn't require treatment for prior to a certain time and you had paid by a certain time.

Your travel agent probably isn't going to specifically recommend a certain insurance, but may offer certain polices and should be available to answer general questions about the different policies. They may be reluctant to interpret policies - they are ta, not insurers.

Insuremytrip.com is an excellent resource - they have different areas that explain the policies and definitions.

I will read the requested link. We cruise in April 2007. As far as TA, well yes that option is being considered :) .

Travelex is where I have gotten a quote from. A+ company and higly recommended on these boards. If I'm understanding everything correctly it covers everything I and rest of group need and is cheaper than Carnival except for 1 in my group.

Travel insurance will be purchased, just confused as to when it needs to be purchased by. Also, is a group policy or individual family policies better?

It is my understanding that Travel insurance premiums are NON-REFUNDABLE. Cruise fees are refundable up until a certain date. I know I read somewhere on these boards that it is not necessary to purchase before final payment date as everything would be refundable prior anyway.

Is this correct? Am I understanding it?

Thanks for your help.

It is my understanding that Travel insurance premiums are NON-REFUNDABLE. Cruise fees are refundable up until a certain date. I know I read somewhere on these boards that it is not necessary to purchase before final payment date as everything would be refundable prior anyway.

Is this correct? Am I understanding it?

Thanks for your help.

travel insurance premiums are not refundable. Sometimes cruise fees aren't completely refundable - sometimes travel agents have a fee for cancellation.

The main reason for purchasing earlier would be if you have a pre-existing condition. Most of the cheaper insurance companies allow you to purchase with a pre-existing for less if you purchase the insurance with a certain number of days of booking the trip - usually a short amount of time.

Also, if you book your airfare separately from your cruise and then have to cancel, if you have travel insurance you should get that back.

I don't know the difference between group and individual insurance, but read the fine print carefully! If you are travelling "with" family and friends, some insurance companies consider them your travelling companions and some don't - the cheapest usually only consider people your travelling companions if you are in the same cabin with them. So, if something happens to one of the people you are travelling with and you don't (or can't) continue your cruise for your own personal reasons, and the insurance policy doesn't consider them to be your travelling companion, you are out of luck even if you have trip interruption insurance.

Thank you. I better check this out. Beside myself, DH and sons, my mom, sister, niece, nephew, etc are going. If something were to happen to any of them I couldn't go and some of my close friends. I did see companies that state "not family member cruises" Travelex isn't one of them. I recall reading about cancel for any reason policies somewhere, maybe I should read some more. TA is not recommending anything. Suggested Carnival and gave price.

Smiles!

I am a TA. NEVER EVER purchase cruiseline insurance.

With Travelex, you must purchase your insurance within 21 days of making your initial deposit to have coverage for pre-existing conditions and bankruptcy/financial default (not your's...LOL.. the suppliers).

Other companies it is 10, 14 and 15 days of deposit.

When dealing with groups, there isn't a best policy. I would let all members figure out what their individual needs are.

I have a group of 42 family members traveling in May. Some purchased, some didn't. I insisted on travel insurance for the most elderly. And I am glad I did. Grandpa is currently hospitalized with a heart attack and other problems. Unless there is a miraculous recovery, the groom's grandparents will not be attending the wedding. But at least, they will be reimbursed by the insurance carrier.

As a general rule of thumb, the more exotic the cruise, the higher amounts you need for medical and repatriation.

If your agency charges a cancellation fee, and you cancel for a covered reason, insurance pays the cancellation fee.

You can cancel your cruise up to (60,70,75, 90, 120 days.. depends on cruiseline and destination and length of cruise) for any reason and have your deposit refunded in full by the cruiseline. If your agency charges a cancellation fee, that would have to be paid.

Once final payment is made, cancellation penalties from the cruiseline kick in.

Refer to your brochure for the schedule. Please note that in some instances, cruiseline air has separate cancellation penalties from the cruise.

Families with small children should also insure. Many last minute cancellations are due to kids coming down with this and that. They are just little germ labs.

It really boils down to, "how much money would you be willing to lose"?

Even as a ta, I insure my trips.. all of them.

Thank you for your post. I have decided to allow each individual family decide what they want to do instead of the group insurance. I will however encourage them to purchase and make a recommendation to them. I will purchase for my family. May I ask which company is your preference or if you prefer not to answer that would you recommend Travelex ? Did you as a TA handle for them or did they do it themselves.

The person that got the whole thought process going on the pre-existing is my mom, she is currently in the hospital so apparently if I deposit now that will nullify the pre-existing. If she is out in a few days and I wait would that make a difference or not or is there a clause for that too? If I look for a company that I don't have to purchase until closer to final payment I still believe I will have a problem as she will more than likely need to be seen monthly thus causing a problem with the 90 day clause.

Guess you could say we are "Up the creek without a paddle" as far as pre-existing goes.

This is so confusing.

Life goes on. Thanks again.

Smiles!

Thank you for your post. I have decided to allow each individual family decide what they want to do instead of the group insurance. I will however encourage them to purchase and make a recommendation to them. I will purchase for my family. May I ask which company is your preference or if you prefer not to answer that would you recommend Travelex ? Did you as a TA handle for them or did they do it themselves.

The person that got the whole thought process going on the pre-existing is my mom, she is currently in the hospital so apparently if I deposit now that will nullify the pre-existing. If she is out in a few days and I wait would that make a difference or not or is there a clause for that too? If I look for a company that I don't have to purchase until closer to final payment I still believe I will have a problem as she will more than likely need to be seen monthly thus causing a problem with the 90 day clause.

Guess you could say we are "Up the creek without a paddle" as far as pre-existing goes.

This is so confusing.

Life goes on. Thanks again.

Smiles!

For my own travel needs I purchase Travelex. I figure out what is best for my clients and either take care of the ordering myself or have them do it. It depends on what type of policy they are buying.

Purchase your mother's insurance when you make her deposit. Now there is one caveat in that. At the time of deposit and purchase of insurance, your mother must be in physical condition to travel. That's in the very fine fine print on insurance policies. I would consult with her physician. Explain what you are doing.

I think from here, you should contact Travelex by telephone with regard to your mother's situation.

Archived